Conservation

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Just got both my VT Habitat Stamp and my BHA membership for the year. Reasons for posting this:

1. Humblebrag
2. Guilt/shame others into it
3. Start/continue a discussion on how lucky we are to hunt/fish in New England where land access is such a luxury.
4. List some other orgs that are good options.

NWTF is a very good option for conservation even for non-turkey hunters.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I just bought my three year renewal to BHA last month. With some of the promotions on the lifetime memberships (handguns, rifles, pellet smokers, etc) I've been tempted to go that route but haven't committed the coin as of yet. I always buy the VTFW habitat stamp, and last year I ended up buying additional stamps when I added tags on, just sacrificed the beer selection that week down to something cheaper. I figured the cause was worth it.

I am a member of the VT Bearhound Association, even though I don't have bearhounds. They are the only voice for anyone with pursuit hounds so as a hare hunter they are my voice on issues. I am a member of the NH Forest Society which advocates for working forests and also works to conserve tracts of land. I was a member of the VT Hunters, Anglers & Trappers Association but that seems to have gone dormant. I'll admit I am a paying member of these groups, but I need to be more of an active member. Once I get the house wrapped up that is my plan.

Escout711

Reaction score
I see the New England Chapter of BHA on Facebook. In my opinion, the folks that seem to be posting the most are a bunch of Trump hating liberal whinebags.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
I always feel good about conservation when I buy licenses in a couple states. Time to get my NH and ME tags!
I belong to a number of orgs and feel like they do good work. BHA, Wild Sheep, RMEF, and locally I am involved with VTFW Conservation Group. Not having kids makes it easier to volunteer my time. Thinking about rejoining TU.
Money is nice for these groups, but showing up is even better. Especially if you bring your kids!

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
I see the New England Chapter of BHA on Facebook. In my opinion, the folks that seem to be posting the most are a bunch of Trump hating liberal whinebags.
That is a bummer- there are a couple of people who post there that are especially partisan and it is no doubt aggravating. At least one is a former member here who got booted because he can't stop.

I can tell you that the BHA I work with is non-partisan and the focus is on wild lands and wildlife, access and opportunity.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
Is there a VT chapter of BHA or is it part of the NE chapter? I just looked at the NE chapter FB page and I can see exactly what Escout is talking about. That’s an easy pass.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Is there a VT chapter of BHA or is it part of the NE chapter? I just looked at the NE chapter FB page and I can see exactly what Escout is talking about. That’s an easy pass.
VT is part of the New England Chapter, but we have a state team. As with most things, FB is not reality.
I would say with some confidence that none of the chapter leadership posts things about partisan politics.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
I just bought my three year renewal to BHA last month. With some of the promotions on the lifetime memberships (handguns, rifles, pellet smokers, etc) I've been tempted to go that route but haven't committed the coin as of yet. I always buy the VTFW habitat stamp, and last year I ended up buying additional stamps when I added tags on, just sacrificed the beer selection that week down to something cheaper. I figured the cause was worth it.

I am a member of the VT Bearhound Association, even though I don't have bearhounds. They are the only voice for anyone with pursuit hounds so as a hare hunter they are my voice on issues. I am a member of the NH Forest Society which advocates for working forests and also works to conserve tracts of land. I was a member of the VT Hunters, Anglers & Trappers Association but that seems to have gone dormant. I'll admit I am a paying member of these groups, but I need to be more of an active member. Once I get the house wrapped up that is my plan.
NH Forest Society has been a critic of certain aspects of wildlife management in NH.

A former Forest Society employee is in tight with a group attempting to shake the NHF&G commission up to include a wider array of NH citizens. The same group is after various forms of predator take methods and opposes bear baiting and hound hunting.

The term conservation seems to have a number of definitions amongst various belief groups in the US and there is nearly a nationwide push to revamp the way wildlife management occurs. A good number of people appear to want nature to takes its course with no human interference despite our presence on earth being a huge interference for wildlife.

Despite humans being part of nature they see humans as separated from nature. Social Media seems to have a very effective platform to spread misinformation on the subject and is very influential on persons disconnected from nature.

The best thing sports people can do is stay professionally involved and vocal within these groups.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
I just signed up with an auto-renewing membership with BHA. I think they are a great organization and I hope to get more involved with them.

I also support the Sportsmen's Land Trust through the purchase of their vanity license plate in MA.

Also a member of NWTF and DU.

And I typically buy hunting licenses in 3 or 4 states every year.

I am a big proponent of land and wildlife conservation.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
That is a bummer- there are a couple of people who post there that are especially partisan and it is no doubt aggravating. At least one is a former member here who got booted because he can't stop.

I can tell you that the BHA I work with is non-partisan and the focus is on wild lands and wildlife, access and opportunity.
Hmmmm...... I'll guess it's "HunterDan"?

ironically I was given a complimentary membership by Dan 4 or 5 years ago. With that came the invite to serve on the NH board, or become an "active member". I spent some time reading what the president of the chapter was saying and realized I didn't really fit in with their ideology on many fronts.

Thank you to all those who volunteer , fund or do both for all the outdoor organizations. It doesn't go unnoticed by me. With that being said.... I just don't have the ability to be around those shit shows any longer. I'll vote, I'll support and fund , but have zero desire to be any sort of "voice". Nobody wants to listen regardless of how logical , factual or thought out someones words are any longer on most subjects.

Last edited: