Colorado Elk hunt

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Awesome post. Congratulations! i really am going to try and do some of these western hunts. It sounds like a great trip, successful, and some lessons well learned. I am super impressed. Two questions; Any spotting scope or just binos? What caliber and scope, and any thoughts on that?

Congratulations!

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I guess I missed this one originally, but I'm glad I caught it now. Awesome recap - I learned a lot. $1600 seems much cheaper than I'd expect considering you split a cabin too....now my wheels are turning....

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Awesome post. Congratulations! i really am going to try and do some of these western hunts. It sounds like a great trip, successful, and some lessons well learned. I am super impressed. Two questions; Any spotting scope or just binos? What caliber and scope, and any thoughts on that?

Congratulations!
We did not bring a spotting scope, and did not feel like we were missing one the entire hunt. Maybe if you were going to glass from the USFS roads way up high, but with all the snow, it would have been hard to get up to those areas anyway. We hiked in at dark and glassed small meadows, Aspens, and open slide areas, and were successful. We all had decent binos and I was running an older pair of Vortex 8x42 vipers which were superb. 8x42 or 10x42 would be fine.

My gun set up was a Browning A-bolt 300wsm topped with a Leupold vxII 3-9. That set up is running me around 8lbs and with the gun bearer by Kifaru, I hardly noticed the weight.

BDB

Reaction score
Aweomse hunt and write up, congrats. Hunting out west is certainly a different experience and a first bull elk is a great memory! Badlands does make great packs. I have the 4500 for when I used to do pack in hunting trips. The gutless method is definitely the way to go when elk hunting, I agree. It's not messy and if you take your time you can get all the usable meat out easily enough. Congrats again on a nice public land bull!

Junebugg2.0

Reaction score
Congrats on the DIY bull! Looks like a hell of a trip... & thanks for the break down on costs & ideas of what is needed.

trackah

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to do your trip report. Great hunt!

Latest posts