Clearing Old Apple Trees

Browseline

Reaction score
Nice pictures. That last one does look like a lot of work. At least it's good for firewood.

Snowball271

Reaction score
Good finds Carl, I walked over all my property last Spring when the apple trees were easy to pick out from the white blossoms. No luck, the neighbor has a row of apple trees on the other side of a creek (which is the property line). So close yet so far away. Just gonna have to plant my own.

2browndogs

Reaction score
Nice work NH. Love you you were able to save the one the maple hit..and smart idea knocking off apples due to bear. Something I should have done to a few I've been working on for several years...they bear absolutely tore them up this year. I'll be surprised if one even lives they ripped so many branches off from it.

I'd keep the Oak too, I'm actually genetically programmed to never kill and Oak....probably cause we have so few...they are like hidden treasures here. Although if I have my way and am somewhat successful then years from now we may have some around!!

DeerMeadowFarm

Reaction score
I have more oaks than anything else! Here is a pic I took back in 2010...? Where my tractor is parked all the way to the wall on the left was scrub growth all tangled with vines etc. During the cleaning process I found a bunch of apple trees (the ones with white ribbons on them). They all produce some fruit now, a couple of them do really well. I was glad I found them!

Bullmoose

Reaction score
feed them and they will come....;)
nice job on clearing the apples where they can get more sunlight.
I pruned some wild crabapples and fertilized them a few weeks ago.
Planted some saw tooth oaks as well.

dtabor

Reaction score
Good work NH..Im itching to get out and start cutting in my woods. Still a ton of snow out there though. The weekends rain took a bit out of it and this week in the 40's should do some more.