Cleaning kits

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I can't take it anymore. I've spent so much time and energy trying to buy better cleaning kits, unsuccessfully. Then I take part A from one of the kits, then part B from another, trying to build my own - also failing.

Anyone have a good cleaning kit to recommend?

I don't want a separate one for my .22
I want it to have shotgun gauge brushes with it too.
For a while I liked pulling the cable through so all the junk came out the muzzle, but I have no issue using steel rods either.
Do any still come with that curved fiber optic flashlight to shine down the bore?

What am I doing wrong - it shouldn't be this hard to get the guns clean.

lester2

Reaction score
Oh boy, talk about opening a can of worms, lol! Besides my personal arsenal I spent 30 years in the Army shooting and cleaning weapons so I’ve got some experience. I have two kits of brushes and tips. One is brass brushes and is pistol, rifle and shotgun with all the associated tips and adapters. The other is nylon rifle brushes, mainly for copper fouling. I use one piece coated rods for long guns and handguns, the long gun rod has a bore guide. Hoppe’s #9 solvent, and some light oil, a copper solvent and a few bags of various sized patches rounds things out. Not exactly a “kit” but all together it works for everything I’ve got.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Obviously not cost effective if you have a safe full of guns, but I only have 4 calibers of rifles and have just bought bore snakes over time. They are just so easy and quick to use I can’t imagine going back to kits and attachments.

mowbizz

Reaction score
I have a little "suitcase" kit with everything you could need to clean any firearm. Strangely enough, I can't find a manufacturer's name on it anywhere. If I recall, there was a cardboard sleeve around it when purchased (which I threw away. Can't recall where I bought it either...
I just looked up and it is an Outers kit. obviously chinese (as other company names can be found) made but seems good quality gun kit.jpg

Last edited:

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I have a little "suitcase" kit with everything you could need to clean any firearm. Strangely enough, I can't find a manufacturer's name on it anywhere. If I recall, there was a cardboard sleeve around it when purchased (which I threw away. Can't recall where I bought it either...
I just looked up and it is an Outers kit. obviously chinese (as other company names can be found) made but seems good quality View attachment 23710
I would have everything in that case flung all over the place in no time ! Then after cleaning all the guns I would just throw everything including the case in a cardboard box thinking I will figure out where everything goes later . :ROFLMAO:

mowbizz

Reaction score
I would have everything in that case flung all over the place in no time ! Then after cleaning all the guns I would just throw everything including the case in a cardboard box thinking I will figure out where everything goes later . :ROFLMAO:
I'm very methodical when working on my guns! My kit looks just like this except for missing patches... :p

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
We have a kit like that too.
I have a Remington branded kit that came in a softsided bag with the cable instead of steel rod. I love the squeegies that came in it (Or whatever they call those things) but it takes forever to make multiple runs out the muzzle.
I have a few other random kits.

I think what this thread tells me is that I need to tear them down, and create my own frankenstein cleaning kit with a combination of the components I like from each one. Sounds like that' should take me atleast a few beers, so thats good news I guess.

Latest posts