Classical vs Tactical bows

archeryarts1353

Reaction score
I started my hunting career on small game, rabbits and pheasants, with a recurve. I sot rabbits and pheasants that I could creep up on. Some running rabbits but I could never hit a flying pheasant back in the day.
I think that would be one of the funnest challenges to do....I doubt I could have hit a grouse or pheasant with a recurve as well. Squirrel dumplings are delicious and a recurve to hunt them would be quite effective I would think, for someone even as unskilled with a recurve as I am.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Just because you rudely implied I was less of a hunter, I want to ask you this, politely of course. So your reasoning, would assume traditional archers then, recurve, longbow, etc, are less respectable as hunters cause they choose to use less of an efficient bow? That is what I get from your statement. I tried to make it clear, that I think each era of bows is both valuable and respected, I was just merely categorizing the obvious of each generations (era) bow into its proper value, and stated, that the classical approach to mostly whitetail hunting has veered from a classical approach to the fact, many think they are hunting big game out west with archery equipment that is more than sufficient to kill an Elephant, rather than the value of each generations weaponry being placed in a category for what species is suited to best be hunted by what bow categories. Call me crazy, but the beauty of archery is to never forget the past generations contributions, bows included, and from the 70's - 00's whitetail was the most sought after deer, archery was geared toward that focus when making bows. The great thing is, now bows are being made for game that have eluded archery in the past and that is great, I'm just saying don't destroy or forget the past that made the today and future possible. I truly believe finding the proper use for any weaponry is the best and most responsible thing to do, do I think hunters should not hunt deer with a tactical rifle, no. But do I think maybe, making ones' arsenal of bows categorized for proper use, even more responsible yes, and it disturbs me that youth think the more power and more oomph in things is more important....it's the "Call of Duty" video gamers that are becoming hunters today, that is the real reason things have changed, life is a war zone philosophy since September 11th, and the market still bares that reality. But, there was a time when the woods were sacred, and people went to them for a spiritual purpose and not to forget the past, I just hope the youth, in all the new technology apply that spiritual path to their hunting....that is all.
No what I’m saying is I can’t stand the “I killed a monster buck AND it was with my bow” what gets left out is the guy was in a heated box blind, over a planted soy bean field, posted to the hilt and the deer are baited daily.

you hunt with a bow. Cool!! You like recurved or the older compounds. Cool!! Either way I don’t care. Too many times particularly with the archery crowd they think they are doing something special while shitting on everyone else in the process.

Do you hunt from a tree stand? Where does your tradition stop? Do you ride a pony without a saddle while hunting with a recur r or long bow? Everyone who hunts can choose to make it as hard as they wish as long as the animal they are hunting is harvested on the quickest most humane manner. Unfortunately that’s not always the thought process with the archery crowd. Don’t believe me? Why the push back for so many people wishing to participate in an archery season while using a Xbow? Xbow hunters have had nothing but an uphill battle trying to have the privilege to hunt all archery season in all states. It’s not the “orange army” keeping them from doing it.

welcome to the forum, I learned long agonot everyone in the hunting world even comes close to thinking alike.

archeryarts1353

Reaction score
No what I’m saying is I can’t stand the “I killed a monster buck AND it was with my bow” what gets left out is the guy was in a heated box blind, over a planted soy bean field, posted to the hilt and the deer are baited daily.

you hunt with a bow. Cool!! You like recurved or the older compounds. Cool!! Either way I don’t care. Too many times particularly with the archery crowd they think they are doing something special while shitting on everyone else in the process.

Do you hunt from a tree stand? Where does your tradition stop? Do you ride a pony without a saddle while hunting with a recur r or long bow? Everyone who hunts can choose to make it as hard as they wish as long as the animal they are hunting is harvested on the quickest most humane manner. Unfortunately that’s not always the thought process with the archery crowd. Don’t believe me? Why the push back for so many people wishing to participate in an archery season while using a Xbow? Xbow hunters have had nothing but an uphill battle trying to have the privilege to hunt all archery season in all states. It’s not the “orange army” keeping them from doing it.

welcome to the forum, I learned long agonot everyone in the hunting world even comes close to thinking alike.
okay, I see what your saying, I think that there is a rift in archery and hunting, that has been going on for a couple decades. That being since, Y2K era. I think that the fact is this....one, the modern equipment permits less effort in the kill, in some regards; older generations are able to hunt longer into their ages. The other part is economic, that being if one can afford to get the latest and greatest, just like cars....there is an extreme benefit of comfort in the purchase of new equipment...I love it for the most part, but like many generations of people, I see them completely discard the past, even as early as ten years earlier...that is great if what exists today is your true desire above all else, but for someone like me, my true desire was around the switchback series for whitetail, the most hunted big game in the US. The bows today, if I could afford and had the health to do a western hunt, yes I would love one! But, I miss the whitetail experience in the state I live being what I call a classical approach.....something of challenge and skill, but beautiful and worthy of the effort. Easier is not always better, Better is not always better... So, I agree with you on some things, I think that it would be hard to make a Bear Grylls kinda hunting show and do what most hunters wish they could do; too much noise, etc. But, I think making kids today think they need weaponry like a swat team to have a chance at a deer is foolish, sometimes loving nature for nature is also, being a challenge with nature that we do not always win, and making our equipment un-failing is somewhat against my philosophy. Earth can handle the wounds we put upon it, but can we handle the failure amongst our fellow hunters is what I am seeing loose hope in being able to do so.