Christmas Knives

benny8

Reaction score
Made some knives for Christmas gifts this year. My dad who just started hunting again after a long absence, didn't have a knife. So I made him a hunting knife of my design. He is my hero and I call him the Man of Steel because of his strength and the hardware he has in his back. Hence the Superman engraving. Made the sheath as well.
IMG_0308.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG

My mom is very hard to buy for, much like the whole family. If they need anything, they usually go out and buy it. She does a lot of cooking and she brought home all her knives(they live in FL) for me to sharpen. I noticed she didn't have a decent paring knife, so that is what I made her. A sheath wasn't going to cut it for a paring knife, so I decided on making a case for it that also serves as a small cutting board. I inlaid the top and the bottom of the case/cutting board to hold the knife.
IMG_0310.JPG
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0311.JPG

I also made a hunting knife for my daughter and a Bird and trout knife for my brother. Pics of those to come when I get them finished. Thanks for looking.

JDK

Reaction score
I agree with mbVT. Those are really nice.

Turningleaf

Reaction score
Great looking knives, beautifully done. I’m sure they will be a keepsake for your wife and daughter. Glad to see you got a few responses on your thread!

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Very nice!!

Years back I sold some old railroad spikes on eBay to a guy that was using them to make knives.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Thanks Mowbizz! Are you the same Mowbizz from the iceshanty? If so, been on hardwater yet?
Yup that’s me! No hard water yet...we don’t usually get out until after the 1st of the year when Newfound opens.
Then it’s time to haul the bob house out set it up, fire up the heater and watch lakers on the cameras! Also set some tip ups for bows in the shallows.
Used to travel around more in my younger days but the hips won’t allow that anymore...

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Impressive knives. Something tells me the shop is as nice as the knives. Those weren’t made with a rat file, ball peen hammer, anvil, and wood fire pit.

benny8

Reaction score
Impressive knives. Something tells me the shop is as nice as the knives. Those weren’t made with a rat file, ball peen hammer, anvil, and wood fire pit.
Actually, they were made with a hack saw, 12" bastard file and filing jig, wood bandsaw and a 1" belt sander. Mostly hand work. I hand polish all my knives from 150 grit up thru to 600 grit. My shop is a wood shop that serves multiple purposes from making cabinets to knives to cutting deer and everything in between. Thank you for the kind words.

benny8

Reaction score
Yup that’s me! No hard water yet...we don’t usually get out until after the 1st of the year when Newfound opens.
Then it’s time to haul the bob house out set it up, fire up the heater and watch lakers on the cameras! Also set some tip ups for bows in the shallows.
Used to travel around more in my younger days but the hips won’t allow that anymore...
I've seen jiggin's videos of you guys over there on Newfound. My brother and I usually take a couple trips a year to Winni. I would like to try Newfound sometime. Good luck to you this year!

mowbizz

Reaction score
I've seen jiggin's videos of you guys over there on Newfound. My brother and I usually take a couple trips a year to Winni. I would like to try Newfound sometime. Good luck to you this year!
Thank you and good luck to you as well!