Christmas Knives 2019

benny8

Reaction score
Finished up three more knives for early Christmas gifts. All my knives are made from 1095 High Carbon steel. I cut them out and grind the primary bevel then hand polish to 600 grit. Heat treat them and fit the handle scales. They then go off to my buddy who etches my makers mark into the blades and any special stuff into the wood handles. I make the custom sheaths as well from vegetable tanned leather. I hand stamp my sheathes with an oak leaf around the perimeter and deer tracks down the middle. My leather stamps are handmade by myself as well.
uncleB1.jpguncleB2.jpg
This knife is for my Uncle who is an deer and rabbit hunter. Honduran Rosewood Handles
kermits knife.jpg
This knife is for my Dads neighbor in Virginia who took us under his wing and showed us the ropes of hunting in Va. He has become like family to us. The handle is Honduran Rosewood.
eric knife.jpg
This knife is for the guy who does all my etching of the makers mark. The handle of this knife is Ruger Walnut.
I enjoy making these knives for people when I can find the time between all my other hobbies.

benny8

Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind words. I dabble in a lot of things. Learning what I can do well and what needs work. It is all a means to an end. Trying to set myself up for when I hit 62. I want to retire then and I will have plenty of things to do to make some extra $$. That is only 16 short years away. Have a Merry Christmas all!

WetWool

Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind words. I dabble in a lot of things. Learning what I can do well and what needs work. It is all a means to an end. Trying to set myself up for when I hit 62. I want to retire then and I will have plenty of things to do to make some extra $$. That is only 16 short years away. Have a Merry Christmas all!
Sounds like you have it all figured out! My plan calls for 6 more years, I have no skills, but I do love fishing, hunting, playing golf, and most importantly, drinking craft brew IPA's!😁 That will have to surfice!
You will appreciate this knife story benny- my son shot a nice deer on the 8th and we gutted fairly close to our stand. Several years ago I had been way up to Ross Lake on a fishing trip when I found this cute little Folding Buck knife, camo in color. That little knife was perfect for gutting deer, I bet the blade is only 2.5 - 3" long and it holds a wicked edge. Like an idiot, I lost track of it in the leaves when we were done and we could not find that thing no matter how much we looked. A few days later I went back to hunt that stand and check the gut pile and low and behold the leaves had blown around and it was sitting in full view where I left it! Got lucky!

benny8

Reaction score
Sounds like you have it all figured out! My plan calls for 6 more years, I have no skills, but I do love fishing, hunting, playing golf, and most importantly, drinking craft brew IPA's!😁 That will have to surfice!
You will appreciate this knife story benny- my son shot a nice deer on the 8th and we gutted fairly close to our stand. Several years ago I had been way up to Ross Lake on a fishing trip when I found this cute little Folding Buck knife, camo in color. That little knife was perfect for gutting deer, I bet the blade is only 2.5 - 3" long and it holds a wicked edge. Like an idiot, I lost track of it in the leaves when we were done and we could not find that thing no matter how much we looked. A few days later I went back to hunt that stand and check the gut pile and low and behold the leaves had blown around and it was sitting in full view where I left it! Got lucky!
That's awesome! Very fortunate that you found it. When I was 13 years old, my Dad bought me an Old Timer. Nice little knife. The following season, he had it with him and they gutted a deer next to a brook. He forgot the knife in the brook or next to it and that puppy was lost forever. Another quick one. I made a knife 3 years ago for my wife. She would keep it in her hunting pants pocket. Well it slipped out one night. This happened at the Shamp property before we built. We went back 2 weeks later to hunt and we got out of the truck and it was laying there on the ground beside the road. She had never realized she lost it until she looked down and there it was in its sheath. She pulled it out and the high carbon steel knife was covered in surface rust. I took it home and buffed it up. It actually has a nice little patina to it now. LOL

RememberBaker

Reaction score
These are no where near as nice as the ones you make Benny, but I had them made a year ago as Christmas presents to my daughters. I added the orange lanyard with a reflective strip to make them easier to find if you lay them down. I made the antler beads and engraved their initials in them.
CC89CFD7-F2ED-41B8-B758-912B76163C50.jpeg

WetWool

Reaction score
Well done both of you, great special touches. To me, that drop point design is perfect for field dressing.

benny8

Reaction score
These are no where near as nice as the ones you make Benny, but I had them made a year ago as Christmas presents to my daughters. I added the orange lanyard with a reflective strip to make them easier to find if you lay them down. I made the antler beads and engraved their initials in them.
View attachment 22768
Those are nice looking knives! Who made them for you if you don't mind me asking? I like that style of drop point.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
Those are nice looking knives! Who made them for you if you don't mind me asking? I like that style of drop point.
Hardison Knives in North Carolina, his name is Lynn if I’m not mistaken. It was one of the few times I’ve actually planned ahead and gotten great Christmas gifts.

Browseline

Reaction score
Beautiful knives! Good idea to be looking ahead like you are. It is working very well for me.