Chinese Virus

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
JDK encountered people from Mass. on 4 wheelers. I would think they do not live in a tar shack, as Kingman had eluded to. So, what do we have, a mix of well off out of staters coming in, as well as, minimalists types? What is going on here?

JDK

Reaction score
We have the following in a pretty even mix:

People buying second homes with the intention of moving here in 3-5 years. Mainly for recreational reasons right now. Houses on or near trails are getting snapped up quickly.

People who were forced to work at home and realized home can be anywhere with cell and internet. Mainly Mass, New Hampshire, and New York

Amish.

People who want to live off grid.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
It is disgusting and I agree. The houses on the road I live on are modest but every one keeps them up. Then these jackasses move in. But it gets even better.

I was walking the other night. 26 years living where I do and I ask permission from the farmer every year. I know what he allows and doesn't and 4 wheelers are one.

Anywho...I'm walking the field road and see 3 UTVs coming towards me. They stop to talk and it is 3 couples from Massachusetts that have just bought a house in the area and were "out riding around." I asked if they had permission to be there and got an incredulous look. They had driven by no less than 4 Posted signs and my neighbor is a certified seed potato farmer so I know he does not allow them on the property. Also think they did the 14 day quarantine that our Governor requires?

If the farmer had seen that, he would have been ballistic. That is why we lose permission and access. With the amount of houses being sold, it is only going to get worse.
The biggest issue that is taking over the state starting at the bottom and creeping up is that a lot of these folks move up here because they love it, but are the first to beat the drums for change that resembles the exact place they tried to escape.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
The biggest issue that is taking over the state starting at the bottom and creeping up is that a lot of these folks move up here because they love it, but are the first to beat the drums for change that resembles the exact place they tried to escape.
Yes more people bring more regulations, more restrictions, more conflicts. I don’t know, the way it’s looking I don’t think Maine is far enough. I may have to set up in the Yukon or Saskatchewan. LOL

tobydog

Reaction score
exactly...seeing same in my town.

groundtender

Reaction score
Been that way on the coast for a long time. But with inflation, now the millionaires are pissed off because the billionaires are pushing them out!

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I sold my house in February, and closed on the last day of the month. Long story short, I had to rent a house for a while, but told my wife, "Don't worry about it, the virus will mean lots of people selling for work relocation, etc".

Yeah, that hasn't worked out all that well. Its impossible for a Vermonter to buy a house in Vermont right now. So, my family is still renting a house, in a neighborhood. I can hear my neighbors fart I'm so close, and they there's not a minute of the day that someone isn't mowing their lawn. But, there are so few houses to rent and even less to buy. Its inconvenient though, thats all. My family is healthy, I work for a great company and still have a work from home job, so I appreciate what I have. But its f'ing aggravating that I can't find/buy a house in the state I love because the metro areas I'm surrounded by are panic buying.
Update -

I bid 10% over the town appraisal (I know, its not accurate, but it gives you a benchmark) and lost to the 7 other bids. The winner was a couple from California that paid cash for a 200yr old house with some permit issues that they had never seen. I'm excited for them to settle in and immediately run for state office. (e-sarcasm)

Browseline

Reaction score
Update -

I bid 10% over the town appraisal (I know, its not accurate, but it gives you a benchmark) and lost to the 7 other bids. The winner was a couple from California that paid cash for a 200yr old house with some permit issues that they had never seen. I'm excited for them to settle in and immediately run for state office. (e-sarcasm)
Have you thought about building a new house, Pete?

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I sold my house in February, and closed on the last day of the month. Long story short, I had to rent a house for a while, but told my wife, "Don't worry about it, the virus will mean lots of people selling for work relocation, etc".

Yeah, that hasn't worked out all that well. Its impossible for a Vermonter to buy a house in Vermont right now. So, my family is still renting a house, in a neighborhood. I can hear my neighbors fart I'm so close, and they there's not a minute of the day that someone isn't mowing their lawn. But, there are so few houses to rent and even less to buy. Its inconvenient though, thats all. My family is healthy, I work for a great company and still have a work from home job, so I appreciate what I have. But its f'ing aggravating that I can't find/buy a house in the state I love because the metro areas I'm surrounded by are panic buying.
We closed on our new house on January 13th. Thank goodness we closed when we did!

My step mother works for realtor .com. She said many are putting down a deposit, but backing out once they see the house in person.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Update -

I saw three different California plates in our small town in a span of two days. I think they are experiencing a sort of exodus out there. I cringe at your sarcasm, because there is likely some truth to it.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Building a house right now is probably more expensive then buying one. The price of materials has gone through the roof during all of this.

JDK

Reaction score
My son is building right now. 25-45% increase in most materials since he started in April.

That said, the concrete for the foundation was actually significantly less than quoted.

Browseline

Reaction score
Building a house right now is probably more expensive then buying one. The price of materials has gone through the roof during all of this.
You are right about it being more expensive than buying one. I have seen many houses in my area before this Covid stuff came around, that sold for half of what they would have cost to build new, including the land, well, driveway and septic system. One advantage to a new house is you can design it to fit your needs, all the electrical and mechanical systems are new and you should be able to have 20 to 35 years before stuff starts going wrong and wearing out. With all the advances in insulation, windows, heating systems, air exchangers, heat pumps and the like you would save quite a lot of money in your lifetime over trying to maintain an older house that lacks a lot of these advances. If you are lucky enough to have parents or relatives that have enough land that they can sell or give you a building lot, that is a big plus also. Anyway you do it, home ownership it is still a big financial investment, but a good one in the long run in most cases.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I saw three different California plates in our small town in a span of two days. I think they are experiencing a sort of exodus out there. I cringe at your sarcasm, because there is likely some truth to it.
Yeah, I know. My ancestors on my mom's side came from northwest Connecticut, just like Ethan Allen did, so I have no issue with people moving to VT, but please don't try to change it...I love it just the way it is.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Yes sir, I have. A lot actually. For whatever reason, land is still pretty cheap. But I'm not sure I can build in my price range. There are so many benefits to building your own, but unless I do a large portion of the work myself, I don't think I can't keep the price in range.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
We closed on our new house on January 13th. Thank goodness we closed when we did!

My step mother works for realtor .com. She said many are putting down a deposit, but backing out once they see the house in person.
Thats interesting. I'm not exactly real estate mogul, but I've only done it the other way around....looked at it first, then put a deposit down when I'm making an offer.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
My son is building right now. 25-45% increase in most materials since he started in April.

That said, the concrete for the foundation was actually significantly less than quoted.
You are right about it being more expensive than buying one. I have seen many houses in my area before this Covid stuff came around, that sold for half of what they would have cost to build new, including the land, well, driveway and septic system. One advantage to a new house is you can design it to fit your needs, all the electrical and mechanical systems are new and you should be able to have 20 to 35 years before stuff starts going wrong and wearing out. With all the advances in insulation, windows, heating systems, air exchangers, heat pumps and the like you would save quite a lot of money in your lifetime over trying to maintain an older house that lacks a lot of these advances. If you are lucky enough to have parents or relatives that have enough land that they can sell or give you a building lot, that is a big plus also. Anyway you do it, home ownership it is still a big financial investment, but a good one in the long run in most cases.
You nailed it Browse...these are the things that are most enticing to me. I'm the type that would choose 1x3 trim, and spend my money on better windows.

Browseline

Reaction score
Yes sir, I have. A lot actually. For whatever reason, land is still pretty cheap. But I'm not sure I can build in my price range. There are so many benefits to building your own, but unless I do a large portion of the work myself, I don't think I can't keep the price in range.
If I could have I would have built a ranch style house when I built my present house 32 years ago. It would have been much cheaper and easier to heat and maintain than what I have now. The only place I could build on 6.5 acres was on a side hill. I now have to deal with 6 split levels and 5 flights of stairs. I'll be 70 my next birthday but so far so good. I don't know how that will work out if I make it to 85 or more. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
If I could have I would have built a ranch style house when I built my present house 32 years ago. It would have been much cheaper and easier to heat and maintain than what I have now. The only place I could build on 6.5 acres was on a side hill. I now have to deal with 6 split levels and 5 flights of stairs. I'll be 70 my next birthday but so far so good. I don't know how that will work out if I make it to 85 or more. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
That is something we considered pretty heavily when building our house. Bedroom, laundry, bathroom with handicapped style shower stall, and pretty much everything we need are all on the main floor as well as wider than normal doors for better access. Hopefully we are a long ways away from needing any of those things, but I only wanted to do this project once.

Latest posts