Chinese Virus

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Same thing going on here in NH . People flying out of Mass. . My wife is a realtor and certified appraiser . She turns down at least 10 appraisals a week . Houses , condos and rentals are flying off the shelf. She just had a lawyer from Boston come up and rent a condo for 1,900 a month. He just wanted to get his family the hell out of the city run by Liberal morons. The problem is eventually these people want to enact the same Liberal policies they were escaping.

Browseline

Reaction score
Same thing in our neck of the woods (northwest vermont). Houses are on the market for 2-3 days with multiple over asking price offers. We even had a random call from a realtor asking if we'd like to sell our house. I thought she was fishing for a new house to put on the market, turns out she had someone from out of town that came up for a weekend and drove back roads writting down addresses of houses they'd be interested in buying . . . . There has been several houses in my town sold and now its all mass, new york, new jersey, and conn. plates sitting in those drive ways. Makes me wonder with the influx of "city folk" coming into these small vermont towns how these small towns will look in 5-10 years.
I have noticed quite a few out of state cars on my road too. It is a mile and a half long dead end road with 11 pretty much evenly spaced homes along it. They slowly cruise by and a few minutes later come back by, so they are not visiting anyone on the road. There is a dead end sign at the beginning of the road that I requested about 25 years ago, so they know the road doesn't lead to another road. The sign really cut down on traffic and I can go sometimes 4 or 5 hours between vehicles going by. Normally I would be a little suspicious, but thieves around here don't drive new, expensive cars with out of state plates. In the back of my mind I wondered if they were doing what you said.

JDK

Reaction score
Same here in northern Maine. Local realtor sold 22 homes in 2 weeks. 85% were out of staters and bought sight unseen.

Browseline

Reaction score
Sounds like you are going to have a lot of new neighbors up there Ted!😲 Hope the hernia is healing up well!
Thanks, hernia is fine. Had no problems and should be able to lift heavier stuff in another 4 or 5 days when I have a talk with the surgeon. 4 week restriction is up in 2 days.

JDK

Reaction score
They’ll be for sale in the spring after they go through their first winter LOL

The people who bought next to me are minimalists from Idaho. Bought sight unseen last Fall. They took a nice house and turned into into a shithole.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
The people who bought next to me are minimalists from Idaho. Bought sight unseen last Fall. They took a nice house and turned into into a shithole.
Well that’s a different type then the people that are buying all around you now though. You just got lucky with him LOL

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I sold my house in February, and closed on the last day of the month. Long story short, I had to rent a house for a while, but told my wife, "Don't worry about it, the virus will mean lots of people selling for work relocation, etc".

Yeah, that hasn't worked out all that well. Its impossible for a Vermonter to buy a house in Vermont right now. So, my family is still renting a house, in a neighborhood. I can hear my neighbors fart I'm so close, and they there's not a minute of the day that someone isn't mowing their lawn. But, there are so few houses to rent and even less to buy. Its inconvenient though, thats all. My family is healthy, I work for a great company and still have a work from home job, so I appreciate what I have. But its f'ing aggravating that I can't find/buy a house in the state I love because the metro areas I'm surrounded by are panic buying.

JDK

Reaction score
Well that’s a different type then the people that are buying all around you now though. You just got lucky with him LOL

They were escaping the Californication of Idaho. People escaping things are usually part of the problem.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Minimalists must mean minimal roof and siding repairs , painting and mowing . They will more than likely come over and want you to snow blow their driveway after they see you out there doing yours 🥶

You haven't seen nothing yet. Wait till the rest of the cult shows up setting up tents and tepee's in their yard.

groundtender

Reaction score
Same here in northern Maine. Local realtor sold 22 homes in 2 weeks. 85% were out of staters and bought sight unseen.
There’s a place on Hardison Rd I have looked at on Zillow. Just looked again. Looks practically new. Beautiful interior, big lot, big house and garage. Can’t believe it, but the price has been cut since a month or so ago. Just a fantasy for me, my wife would never move away from the coast. Can’t imagine why it hasn’t been scoffed up. Probably the out of staters think there’s something drastically wrong with it because price is so out of whack with southern New England.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
There’s a place on Hardison Rd I have looked at on Zillow. Just looked again. Looks practically new. Beautiful interior, big lot, big house and garage. Can’t believe it, but the price has been cut since a month or so ago. Just a fantasy for me, my wife would never move away from the coast. Can’t imagine why it hasn’t been scoffed up. Probably the out of staters think there’s something drastically wrong with it because price is so out of whack with southern New England.
The one in Caribou?

JDK

Reaction score
My backyard. Right in the middle of potato fields and a few houses right on top of it (sort of a mini neighborhood). They did a lot of work on that house a few years ago. It is in nice shape and the farmer kept it up very well.

JDK

Reaction score
You will notice that there is another home for sale at 187 Hardison for $70,000. Literally in the same driveway

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
You will notice that there is another home for sale at 187 Hardison for $70,000. Literally in the same driveway
Too open for me. Ideally I would like to be set back off the road and have a swamp and mountain in the back that leads to the middle of nowhere.
:)

JDK

Reaction score
You’d not be happy there. Plus that entire road is posted. Actually nearly that entire block is.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Nothing irritates me more than that. No home ownership pride. Jackman is out of control now, everything is being bought up. Nice wooded lots are going for southern Maine prices. First thing people are doing it building a tar paper shed, parking a junk camper, A few old cars and piling up junk that resembles the old Maine dumps. It’s disgusting. I don’t get it.

JDK

Reaction score
It is disgusting and I agree. The houses on the road I live on are modest but every one keeps them up. Then these jackasses move in. But it gets even better.

I was walking the other night. 26 years living where I do and I ask permission from the farmer every year. I know what he allows and doesn't and 4 wheelers are one.

Anywho...I'm walking the field road and see 3 UTVs coming towards me. They stop to talk and it is 3 couples from Massachusetts that have just bought a house in the area and were "out riding around." I asked if they had permission to be there and got an incredulous look. They had driven by no less than 4 Posted signs and my neighbor is a certified seed potato farmer so I know he does not allow them on the property. Also think they did the 14 day quarantine that our Governor requires?

If the farmer had seen that, he would have been ballistic. That is why we lose permission and access. With the amount of houses being sold, it is only going to get worse.

jht2224

Reaction score
You boys would die if you lived here in MA....10,000 sf lots for $250k. Everything is posted, UTV/ATV haha forget about that.....people call the cops for small camp fires...

Enjoy what you have because it’s nuts down here.

Latest posts