Check your Garmin GPS

Big D

Reaction score
Figured I'd pass this along. Last week I turned on my Garmin to track the miles of a quick hike I was going to do and I had no idea where it was showing my location. Didn't recognize a thing on the map that it showed me on. I left it on for about a 1/2 hour and it seemed to go back to normal although all my setting had been returned to default and I had to reset them to my preferences. Garmin did suffer a cyber attack a few weeks ago so maybe that's got something to do with it.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
If you changed batteries recently in your Garmin GPS you have to re calibrate the compass . If you are more than 20 miles from the last time you used the GPS then sometimes you have to re calibrate . I always have to calibrate my GPS unit when I go from NH to my camp in Maine

JDK

Reaction score
How do you recalibrate the GPS?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
NO I Wont ! My Garmin 60 CSx lasts for 3 days using 2 Eneloop 2000 rechargeable batteries leaving it on all day !
My phone would be dead if I left it on all day on a cold day ! You trying to get us lost with no way to call someone ? :LOL:
I don’t leave mine on all day only once in a while when I want to check things. Hey man, pick your head up once in a while and look at something besides your Garman screen, you might see a buck!🤪

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I don’t leave mine on all day only once in a while when I want to check things. Hey man, pick your head up once in a while and look at something besides your Garman screen, you might see a buck!🤪
I dont hardly look at my GPS all day hunting in familiar areas. But I leave it on so I can see my track to find the easiest way to get to a waypoint I marked of a potential good spot.

Big D

Reaction score
Didn't change batteries or relocate from a different area. It had me located except I had no idea where. Didn't recognize a single lake, road, or anything else.

You can recalibrate the compass by rotating the unit several different ways.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I dont hardly look at my GPS all day hunting in familiar areas. But I leave it on so I can see my track to find the easiest way to get to a waypoint I marked of a potential good spot.
Throw that thing in the trash and carry an extra battery pack for your phone :)

Last edited:

groundtender

Reaction score
How do you recalibrate the GPS?
On my old garmin Oregon 450, I go into “settings”, scroll to “calibrate compass”, and follow the instructions. Takes about a minute. As others have said, new batteries or new area....re-calibrate

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Thats all I did when I was in Idaho last year. Had my cell phone with OnX. Kept it on airplane mode and brought two small battery packs with me. longest we stayed in the woods was 6 days, and only had to use one battery pack. I definitely will not be buying another gps in the future

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess you could also say GPS and cell phones are unneeded if you have a map and compass. 😃 (old school). Or you better have a map and compass if your GPS or cell phone quits.....

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Doesn't matter what kind of technology I have with me. I never leave the truck without 2 compasses (usually a clip on the sleeve compass, and a back-up) and at the very least an 8.5x11 paper map. Something to be said for peace of mind

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Doesn't matter what kind of technology I have with me. I never leave the truck without 2 compasses (usually a clip on the sleeve compass, and a back-up) and at the very least an 8.5x11 paper map. Something to be said for peace of mind
Yeah, me too, and matches and firestarters if I'm hunting the big woods.

Latest posts