Cell Phone/GPS/Maps

longbow

Reaction score
So, what is the latest? Can you use your cell phone to track yourself on an aerial, satellite view, (not a road map), without a signal?

I read that you could, but Google maps only lets you download the street map, not the satellite view map. This is a change from previous years I read?

So, what's the story, or do I just keep using my GPS?

Reaction score
Last year when I was up for two weeks, during the second week in a different area, the guys I stayed with had Onx maps and downloaded the sections they needed onto their phone and seemed like they didn't have any problems. I've never used it up there before, but have it to try for this year. Still taking my other gps, etc

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
OnX maps! Get it and you will wonder what you did all those prior years. Download the maps of interest. When in the field with no signal your gps in your phone still works and places you on the map. You have full access to waypoints, topo, aerial maps...its incredible.
Today on camofire the Elite Membership (all 50 states) is on sale for $59, the Premium mEMbership(1 state) is on sale for $17

longbow

Reaction score
OnX maps! Get it and you will wonder what you did all those prior years. Download the maps of interest. When in the field with no signal your gps in your phone still works and places you on the map. You have full access to waypoints, topo, aerial maps...its incredible.
Today on camofire the Elite Membership (all 50 states) is on sale for $59, the Premium mEMbership(1 state) is on sale for $17
Thanks sounds good.

longbow

Reaction score
Last year when I was up for two weeks, during the second week in a different area, the guys I stayed with had Onx maps and downloaded the sections they needed onto their phone and seemed like they didn't have any problems. I've never used it up there before, but have it to try for this year. Still taking my other gps, etc
Thanks.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Shawn - have you used this in an area that does not receive cell service? I hear great things but all in areas that have service. i also question the ability of keeping the phone battery going out in the cold. I know you can simply leave the phone off so it does not drain the battery but the cold tends to do a good job of it too.

longbow

Reaction score
I am taking my son with me this year and it doesn't make sense spending 500 on a GPS for him if we can do it all on the phone. I will also get some extra battery packs for the phone. He won't be out of my sight much, unless I leave him on stand somewhere for a while, but I still want him to be able to get out on his own.

Any idea of how much of a drain it puts on your battery of your cell phone? Do you get a full day on one charge?

Last edited:

Grandkid

Reaction score
I am taking my son with me this year and it doesn't make sense spending 500 on a GPS for him if we can do it all on the phone. I will also get some extra battery packs for the phone. He won't be out of my sight much, unless I leave him on stand somewhere for a while, but I still want him to be able to get out on his own.

Any idea of how much of a drain it puts on your battery of your cell phone? Do you get a full day on one charge?
LB put your phone on airplane and you'll go all day with it.

Roger-

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Yup I'm on the Onx band wagon too. when I went west I got Onx mainly as a back-up to my gps. Didn't plan ahead I guess and didn't realize the chip I have downloaded for my gps doesn't go that far west. Didn't realize that till the first day of hunting 5miles in. Thank god I had Onx and cached several maps in the area. Never once turned my gps for a cordinate to get back to camp or anything, and couldn't tell you how many times pulled up Onx to make a game plan using the topo/ortho/hybrid maps. Can drop pins, mark locations, track yourself, measure distances. Game changer for sure! Just make sure if your going to be out of cell service to cache maps and make sure you have enough storage on your phone to actually do that. Another advantage is if your other hunting buddies also have it you can share waypoints and such before hand.

So many discounts out there. Think I used The Hunting Public's discount when I got mine. Think it was 20-30% off

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
There are a variety of options now. I was skeptical, but now use the Garmin Basecamp App. Not sure if you can download it without a free account and a unit, but I just use the app on my phone solo with no cell service. Downloaded all my sat maps, etc. Works great up north
. CBC837BF-A428-4743-83FA-690EE8216342.jpg

Last edited:

lester2

Reaction score
I use my Garmin GPS and the Apple map app on my phone. With the two of them I have no issues and there’s no cost...

Big D

Reaction score
I'm trying the On X free trial right now. Seem good but I'm having issues with it on the PC. Keeps logging me out when I change maps and then can't log back in so I haven't been able to see it's full potential.

KC, I have a free subscription to the Birdseye /Base Camp stuff that I haven't activated yet. Do you have to download to the PC then to the unit or phone or is there something just for the phone? I really haven't had the time to look it all over.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
As others stated. Download the maps of the area you will be hunting at home on wifi before you leave (the medium resolution is fine). Once in the field turn the phone on airplane mode and you will get all day off of it and have full functionality of the app. I used OnX in Montana last year where we were hunting near public/private lands. I used it exclusively for all my moose scouting and hunting in Maine this year as there is no cell coverage where we were and it worked flawlessly. My wife also installed the app and piggy backed off my account on her phone while we were in MT as well.

longbow

Reaction score
As others stated. Download the maps of the area you will be hunting at home on wifi before you leave (the medium resolution is fine). Once in the field turn the phone on airplane mode and you will get all day off of it and have full functionality of the app. I used OnX in Montana last year where we were hunting near public/private lands. I used it exclusively for all my moose scouting and hunting in Maine this year as there is no cell coverage where we were and it worked flawlessly. My wife also installed the app and piggy backed off my account on her phone while we were in MT as well.
Thanks. She did not have to buy a subscription?

NorthMaine

Reaction score
YOu can get 20% off with OnX with code "BWB".

You can also just keep using phony email addresses to get "free trials". You never have to verify the email address, so it doesn't even have to be a real one. Obviously any waypoints etc. wouldn't carry over, but if you're just using it for navigation, it's an option.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I'm trying the On X free trial right now. Seem good but I'm having issues with it on the PC. Keeps logging me out when I change maps and then can't log back in so I haven't been able to see it's full potential.

KC, I have a free subscription to the Birdseye /Base Camp stuff that I haven't activated yet. Do you have to download to the PC then to the unit or phone or is there something just for the phone? I really haven't had the time to look it all over.
just download the app on your phone and sign in with tour Garmin account and it replicates what you have on the account or PC. For example I have sat images I had saved down for my old unit that I can access on my phone now. The ease of use is incredible.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
YOu can get 20% off with OnX with code "BWB".

You can also just keep using phony email addresses to get "free trials". You never have to verify the email address, so it doesn't even have to be a real one. Obviously any waypoints etc. wouldn't carry over, but if you're just using it for navigation, it's an option.
THere are a bajillion 20% off promo codes out there. Camofire is 40% off. Even if it is not listed today, they will still sell it to you for their previously advertised price if they have it in stock.