CCW while hunting (upland in my case)

b79holmes

Reaction score
Hello,
I am going on my first central ME upland hunt over my GSP mid October.

The Mrs is always a little concerned about running into a bear.
I read the Hunting rules on the web as best I can but no mention of CCW while upland hunting.

Is it allowed for an out of state resident with a home state CCW?
I understand permits are no longer required and I will be hunting private leases so no special wild lands or state park issues.

Carrying concealed while hunting (for self defense) isn't always clear to me.
Thanks,
Bill

mowbizz

Reaction score
You can open carry while hunting in Maine. They will recognize your home CCW.
You cannot dispatch an animal where firearms are forbidden for example, bow hunting for deer. It appears you can open carry any time while hunting. Do not carry your handgun loaded while in a vehicle. Thats a no no with the wardens. The laws are funny and can be interpreted differently by different game wardens on any given day so be prudent and up front with them if stopped. It may be a good idea to have hunting license “tags” for any and all species you may encounter in season (if any are open during upland game)

b79holmes

Reaction score
I don't care for open carry and don't own an open carry holster.
My only concern while hunting upland game is bears.

Many states have restrictions on what you have on you while hunting, I think mainly because of poaching deer.
I read some ME hunting law summaries but it wasn't clear if I can carry for bear defense or if I can carry a couple of slugs with me. [I don't think I can carry slugs in MA except during deer or bear season.]

I think a number of states don't let bow hunters have a backup firearms for any reason either.

Were will be around 2 hours north of Bangor. Lots of dogs wearing bells and hunters with whistles but you never know.

Thanks,
Bill

bigbore442001

Reaction score
One of the things that we fall into is that because the state we live in does not allow such and such then it must be that way across the nation.

I did a quick check and most states across the nation allow one to carry concealed while bowhunting. We just happen to live in an area where you cannot. Massachusetts, Connecticut and RI as well as NYS and NJ do not allow that. But most states do.

Personally I have no issue with someone carrying a handgun while bowhunting but the powers that be do.

Latest posts