Canned venison.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
I like it, my grandmother used to do quite a bit of it. Makes it's own gravy, pretty tasty. Once canned, it will keep well- even when the power goes out!

mdab27

Reaction score
Roy did you use a pressure canner? It seems to be the only way you can safely can low acidic food like this. Always thought about buying one. We do a lot of canning of fruit jam in the fall, but never done anything like this.

bigrak

Reaction score
Roy did you use a pressure canner? It seems to be the only way you can safely can low acidic food like this. Always thought about buying one. We do a lot of canning of fruit jam in the fall, but never done anything like this.
My girlfriend uses a regular pressure cooker for canning venison or any other foods.

mdab27

Reaction score
I may have to invest in one. I always just used a big pot for canning fruit, etc. They have some much damn sugar and acidity in them that you don't really need the pressure. Thanks!

BDB

Reaction score
I have done this many times over the years. Made 90 bottles out of the neck and a little scrap mean of a Moose one year back in Nova Scotia. It's great for stews. Open a couple of bottles, add some potatoes, veggies, etc and it's a nice quick meal. I used to take a bottle or two into the duck blind also.

I use add little salt to the bottom of the mason jar, then I do layers of diced onions and cubed mean until full. Then put the lid on loosely. Place in a pot of boiling water (below the lid level) and let it boil three hours, then tighten the lid and throw it on the pantry shelf. Easy as can be. I do it outside on the deck on a Coleman stove. If you do it inside make sure you have the stove fan going, it generates a lot of moisture. One time I wasn't paying attention and left it boiling without the fan I had water running down the walls in the kitchen by the end!

Droptine

Reaction score
I had some hunters over from NY, and they kept telling me that their sister cans all their deer. So this year I decided to try it out, love it. Great way to process the meat. Use it over noodles or stew or just out of jar with crackers.

bmiller

Reaction score
good stuff there,we can potatoes and onions rite along with the meat,boil the jars in a water bath for 3 hrs, somethin good .
my wife will take and drain broth off then put a little flour in a freezer bag and put deer meat in ,shake er up then fry .

Latest posts