Canned Veni

VTHunter08

Reaction score
So I had heard about canned venison and how good it could be, so thought it was something I wanted to try. Well the mrs got me a pressure cooker for my bday in November, and 4 days later I killed a 4 pointer. Perfect time to experiment a little. I bought a few quart jars, and set aside 6lbs of small cut stew meat (heard approximately 2lbs will fill a quart jar). Well we opened one of the quarts about a week later and to make a long story short anything that wasn't tenderloin or back straps went into the canner for my muzzleloader deer. Wife said its the best venison she's ever had.

Wont go into a ton of detail b/c I know theres some older posts on here about it, but its definitely worth a try. Pack a jar tight, try to keep as much air out as possible, add 1tsp of canning salt on top and w/e other seasoning's you want (or not). When we open a jar we warm it up in a sauce pot and add some corn starch to thicken the juice a bit, and then eat it over egg noodles. I made a few with taco/fajita seasons too and we did taco's one night with it and Whoa!

Best part about it, store it in the basement on a back shelf and just leave it. Doesn't take up any freezer space. We also made up a handful of quart jars for xmas gifts this year.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I've been curious about this one too, but never tried it. I don't have a pressure cooker, but we put up apple sauce every year, so I could probably do it the same way. Ill have to do some research. (I have little adventures like this in my mind all the time, and life has a funny way of piking my interest at almost the exact time I put it out of my thoughts)

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been curious about this one too, but never tried it. I don't have a pressure cooker, but we put up apple sauce every year, so I could probably do it the same way. Ill have to do some research. (I have little adventures like this in my mind all the time, and life has a funny way of piking my interest at almost the exact time I put it out of my thoughts)
You'll need a pressure cooker, can't (shouldn't) do meat in a hot water bath.

It is good stuff!

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I want to try this some year. Every time I mention it my wife makes a funny face though. Maybe next year I'll break her in with a small batch.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
This sounds delicious and I know a guy who adds a little liquid smoke to his but I've never tried it. What size pressure cooker do you use? I'd like to get one in the 20 quart range for canning meats and garden veggies.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
definitely worth the try fellas. Since we first tried it I've made them with lipton onion soup mix, taco/fajita mix, a meatloaf recipe my wife found, and beef bouillon cubes. They are all delicious. The Onion mix I did a couple with cut up onions in there with it, and the beef bouillon cubes I did onions and mushrooms canned with the meat. I will say when you add veggies in with it, it does create more "juice". That brings me to another thing I forgot to mention, so places say fill up to the "shoulders" of the jar with water. Do not do this. The meat itself creates all the "juice" you need.

Definitely need a pressure cooker to do this to property cook and disinfect everything properly.

So when I initially talked to my wife about this I mentioned I want a 6 quart pressure cooker (you know to fit 6 quart jars) Well she bought me a 6 quart electric pressure cooker. Its really made to cook with so its a stainless steel basin that'll fit 6 liquid quarts, not 6 quart jars. Whoops, she tried, bless her heart! But I can do 2 quarts at a time. Doesn't sound like a lot but when processing I'll do 1-2 batches/night (2-4 quarts, 4-8lbs of meat). After a few nights I'm good.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Wow that sounds good! Might have to give that one a try

Big D

Reaction score
A buddy and I do this w/ venison. We'll do his whole deer minus the loins, it's that good. We just fill the jars and add a chunk of salt pork on top. I'll have to try some of the other ideas. If your wife or kids are on the fence about eating it don't let them look at the jars. Tastes great but definitely looks a little sketchy after a while.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
A buddy and I do this w/ venison. We'll do his whole deer minus the loins, it's that good. We just fill the jars and add a chunk of salt pork on top. I'll have to try some of the other ideas. If your wife or kids are on the fence about eating it don't let them look at the jars. Tastes great but definitely looks a little sketchy after a while.
lol it sure does! Make these dinners husband cook tonight's and get it started before the wifey gets home!