Camping on timber company land

Big D

Reaction score
If I remember correctly it is (was) to cover the minimum wage increase passed by Maine's voters.
That's what they said at the time. We'll see if it goes up again. It's certainly not to cover all the road work they have done this year.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I have a popup camper already but my preference would be to have everything I need in the back of a pickup truck. One less axle and set of tires to worry about. I guess it all depends what kind of comforts you want and how long would I plan on staying.

This is what the off season is for me, contemplating changes for next year and trying to add to that adventurous part of hunting, that I love so much. I saw where a guy converted a 5-7 man Eskimo fatfish ice shanty to a winter camping tent. Those shanties are insulated and have removable windows. Take a window out and make a stove jack from welding cloth and velcro it in, then add a stove. Nu-way has awesome vented propane stoves that put out dry heat and you could probably get a week out of a 20lb bottle. At the end of the day, maybe hunting out of it for 3-4 days would suck but you still have a sweet ice fishing set up.
I talked to a guy in Maine last year who had a set-up to camp in the bed of his pick-up under the cap (not in depth conversation, but in passing, so we didn't get into the details). He had a tank of kerosene strapped to the roof of the cap to feed a heater. I have no idea how you would dry your woolies out after a day of hunting with that set-up. I would think that at some point your primitive set-up has to start affecting your day game.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
I talked to a guy in Maine last year who had a set-up to camp in the bed of his pick-up under the cap (not in depth conversation, but in passing, so we didn't get into the details). He had a tank of kerosene strapped to the roof of the cap to feed a heater. I have no idea how you would dry your woolies out after a day of hunting with that set-up. I would think that at some point your primitive set-up has to start affecting your day game.
Yeah, that sounds like absolute misery and certainly not what I had in mind. You have to have a vented heat source or you will create way too much moisture, especially with propane. Some guys in Southeast Alaska and Kodiak area use those artic oven tents and Nu-way vented propane stoves and love them. They deal with a lot of moisture almost tropical sometimes. Arctic ovens are way too expensive though.

I guess the question is, if there was a place you really wanted to hunt and it was an hour and a half or two hours from your camp, do you just drive back-and-forth or set up a spike camp? And no, not sleeping in a log LB.

Last edited:

Big D

Reaction score
That's tough to call. I hate driving so I don't know. I'm the type that likes to just get there. That said I travel a fair ways up north if I need to get to what I'm looking for. Hell, if you read my 2nd TR this year it was an hour to hunt 20 miles from camp to end the season. Not generally the norm though.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I guess the question is, if there was a place you really wanted to hunt and it was an hour and a half or two hours from your camp, do you just drive back-and-forth or set up a spike camp?
I would drive the 1.5 hours, hell I spend that driving in the dark checking for tracks when there’s snow on the ground. Not sure where the cut off for time would be, maybe around the 2 hour mark. Might depend on what was in the area though, if I had a few videos of a slammer on a signpost it would be pretty healthy motivation. If the drive got to be too much a camper might be handy.

spike hunter

Reaction score
I have a 18' camper that I take up to the NMW. Works great, sometimes 2 of us in it. Took out the shower and sink in bathroom and put in a woodstove. Left the shitter for a warm place to go. We go without power, use a battery powered lantern for light, propane fridge and stove. The sink just drains out the side onto the ground. We carry in water, and get more from streams for doing the dishes. We go to the same spot every year and hunt from there. To me it is the way to go, warm dry, and plenty of space kinda. Also use a buddy heater in the morning if its not to cold out for some quick heat while we eat, instead of using up wood.

Seven Islands Land around the Rangeley area is well marked no camping. I do know of them having people leave in the middle of their hunt. I would assume its the same for all their land in the state.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
I have a 18' camper that I take up to the NMW. Works great, sometimes 2 of us in it. Took out the shower and sink in bathroom and put in a woodstove. Left the shitter for a warm place to go. We go without power, use a battery powered lantern for light, propane fridge and stove. The sink just drains out the side onto the ground. We carry in water, and get more from streams for doing the dishes. We go to the same spot every year and hunt from there. To me it is the way to go, warm dry, and plenty of space kinda. Also use a buddy heater in the morning if its not to cold out for some quick heat while we eat, instead of using up wood.

Seven Islands Land around the Rangeley area is well marked no camping. I do know of them having people leave in the middle of their hunt. I would assume its the same for all their land in the state.
Sounds like you have a great set up, simple but very efficient. If you are interested in better lighting, try a 12v led light bulb in 12w or similar that attaches to a deep cycle battery with alligator clips. They give off a ton of light and hardly drain a battery at all.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a great set up, simple but very efficient. If you are interested in better lighting, try a 12v led light bulb in 12w or similar that attaches to a deep cycle battery with alligator clips. They give off a ton of light and hardly drain a battery at all.
I forgot to try that light bulb thing. Still in cabin with headlamps! lol next year...

Wandling

Reaction score
If I was going to hunt the way you guys do it would be a slide in truck camper for sure.

groundtender

Reaction score
I know you guys, or some of you, must really enjoy camping. I genuinely respect that, and your patience with it, and your inventiveness. However I love the actual hunting, but dislike distractions like grocery shopping, cooler organizing, thinking about cooking, crapping in woods, not showering, and wondering how best to deal with wet clothing. Spoiled now I guess. Definitely stuck on American Plan. Originally spoiled by Ken Twitchell back in the 90's at the Pittston Farm.....it's all his fault!!!

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I know you guys, or some of you, must really enjoy camping. I genuinely respect that, and your patience with it, and your inventiveness. However I love the actual hunting, but dislike distractions like grocery shopping, cooler organizing, thinking about cooking, crapping in woods, not showering, and wondering how best to deal with wet clothing. Spoiled now I guess. Definitely stuck on American Plan. Originally spoiled by Ken Twitchell back in the 90's at the Pittston Farm.....it's all his fault!!!
I hear ya. Most of my years spent on the American plan. When the American plan went to 1150 for a week, I switched to an outpost cabin. Same conveniences except we have to make our own food which is not too bad. My wife makes 3 or 4 nights worth of meals and so does my partners, so we are set on the dinners. We can do it for about 500 each .

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I forgot to try that light bulb thing. Still in cabin with headlamps! lol next year...
LB get a set of these and you can put away the headlamp. LOL

There are 2 models that are lantern / spotlight combos. Both run on 3 AA batteries that would last for 3-4 nights or 18-20 hours.
The cob light 30 LED one with the yellow strips is really bright. The white frosted glass one with 6 LED lights is bright enough and doesn't blind you like the COB light.
The spotlight on both is the same. The spotlight on this unit is way brighter than those yellow Ever Ready ones that use the 6 volt battery.

The COB light unit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...1-411f-9d12-9cc8feb6c214&pf_rd_i=desktop&th=1

The white glass unit.

https://www.amazon.com/VIBELITE-Col...keywords=vibelite+led+lantern+flashlight&th=1

spike hunter

Reaction score
It is a pretty efficient set up. The lantern is led so in that size camper works great, same batteries for 2 years.

spike hunter

Reaction score
I wouldn't say I enjoy camping, but I like being in the back country where there are not many people. The groceries, coolers, cooking, no showers, that's part of it. I just do it and get in a lot more hunting time since I am already at where I hunt. Plus we eat what we want, not what is made for us. But like you said everyone has there own thoughts. And not all are the same. That's not a bad thing.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
We rent a cabin when we go to Maine. It is nice to come back to a warm cabin and a hot shower after hiking in the woods all day. We bring an enclosed trailer to hang our gear in. We run a heater in it to dry everything out. We cook our own food and make our own lunches each day.

Having said all that, a remote camp hunt is on my bucket list. I'd really love to do one in the NMW or the ADK's.

groundtender

Reaction score
MH - That heated enclosed trailer for your hunting clothes is an excellent idea. I used to hunt in Maine with some Quebec residents who did that. We stayed at Boulets in Z4 and they kept the trailer out by the border in Z8 with a little honda generator keeping the heater going all night. No camp smell on the hunting clothes, always liked that plan.

Latest posts