Camping on timber company land

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Back when there was a Plum Creek, I think there was information on camping access on timber land, whether it was a designated site or not. Since they got bought out by Weyerhaeuser, I cannot find much info on camping. Anyone know the status, can you tent camp?

Big D

Reaction score
If your talking about North Maine Woods you can camp just about anywhere. Some places lack outhouses, fire rings etc. though.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
That's specific to the NMWs. They own a ton of land outside that. Historically plum creek was fine with all the designated sites all over ponds and streams around the Jackman region anyway. You could camp anywhere without issue. Wonder if that is still the case. I do not believe I have seen any changes to the land use signs at road heads except the name.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info and yeah, it would be nice to be more mobile. I’m on the fence on what to do, but a quick tent setup with a stove (not the big outfitter type) might be worth a shot. I’ve got a couple ideas in mind that would be quick and not to expensive.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Travel trailer is ideal. Propane everything. Run the heat when you wake up, and when you get back at night for a few hours. Propane frig, stove, generator for power. TV with antenna booster. You can do it without the antenna, but I like the TV and microwave. Did it this year up in NYS. Was great.

Last edited:

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Nate if you want some info try emailing or calling this lady at the Bingham office for Weyerhaeuser.
She is also the one person in charge of giving out the trail camera and tree stand permits for Weyerhaeuser land.

Mary Robinson | Resources Assistant
Weyerhaeuser Company

email address --- Mary.Robinson@weyerhaeuser.com

PO Box 646 | Bingham, ME 04920
(207) 672-8038 | Fax (207) 672-4048

NorthMaine

Reaction score
That's specific to the NMWs. They own a ton of land outside that. Historically plum creek was fine with all the designated sites all over ponds and streams around the Jackman region anyway. You could camp anywhere without issue. Wonder if that is still the case. I do not believe I have seen any changes to the land use signs at road heads except the name.
I never noticed any changes to signage either. If you're going to be campin in NMW though, you better get your wallet ready...

JDK

Reaction score
I agree with SportsmanNH about checking before doing.

If you're going to be campin in NMW though, you better get your wallet ready...
You got that right. I thought I read somewhere of a fee increase in 2018 again. I may be wrong on that however.

Last edited:

groundtender

Reaction score
I wouldn't ask Plum Creek. You may prompt them to re-consider their policy, aka "consulting with lawyers". Get a double axle camper trailer, then if tires or one axe f's up, you still have one. Good luck

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Shit, I would just camp anywhere. If it's not posted your good. The worst they can do is tell you to get out. Be mobile.
Gotta be careful with that approach. Plum creek had hundreds of designated sites all over the place with fire pits and outhouses so you knew it was fine. Move a little south and west to seven island lands and there isn't much for signage indicating no camping, but I have personally been driven out of the woods by a forest ranger for camping where I was not allowed. Only knew after the fact.

As for campers go down to the old plum creek land around cold stream and there are campers parked there all summer.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Travel trailer is ideal. Propane everything. Run the heat when you wake up, and when you get back at night for a few hours. Propane frig, stove, generator for power. TV with antenna booster. You can do it without the antenna, but I like the TV and microwave. Did it this year up in NYS. Was great.
I have a popup camper already but my preference would be to have everything I need in the back of a pickup truck. One less axle and set of tires to worry about. I guess it all depends what kind of comforts you want and how long would I plan on staying.

This is what the off season is for me, contemplating changes for next year and trying to add to that adventurous part of hunting, that I love so much. I saw where a guy converted a 5-7 man Eskimo fatfish ice shanty to a winter camping tent. Those shanties are insulated and have removable windows. Take a window out and make a stove jack from welding cloth and velcro it in, then add a stove. Nu-way has awesome vented propane stoves that put out dry heat and you could probably get a week out of a 20lb bottle. At the end of the day, maybe hunting out of it for 3-4 days would suck but you still have a sweet ice fishing set up.

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Gotta be careful with that approach. Plum creek had hundreds of designated sites all over the place with fire pits and outhouses so you knew it was fine. Move a little south and west to seven island lands and there isn't much for signage indicating no camping, but I have personally been driven out of the woods by a forest ranger for camping where I was not allowed. Only knew after the fact.

As for campers go down to the old plum creek land around cold stream and there are campers parked there all summer.
See nothing happened, you were made to leave.

Big D

Reaction score
I agree with SportsmanNH about checking before doing.

You got that right. I thought I read somewhere of a fee increase in 2018 again. I may be wrong on that however.
You've got to be kidding. It's already a bit ridiculous. Maybe that's why the place was a ghost town every time I was up last year. Seemed like you could have your pick of good sites spring, summer, and fall. Pricing themselves out of reach for average folks that maybe want to go in for a few days w/ the family.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I have a popup camper already but my preference would be to have everything I need in the back of a pickup truck. One less axle and set of tires to worry about. I guess it all depends what kind of comforts you want and how long would I plan on staying.
I agree there are a lot of ways to do it. It is nice to pull up unhook and you are basically done. You can grab your rifle and start hunting. Good tires and bearing maintenance and you should be good! Those truck campers that slide into your bed are good to as long as you don't have more than 2 or 3 guys. Then there is even no unhooking(unless you want to stay for a while), no extra tires or axles.

Attachments

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
You've got to be kidding. It's already a bit ridiculous. Maybe that's why the place was a ghost town every time I was up last year. Seemed like you could have your pick of good sites spring, summer, and fall. Pricing themselves out of reach for average folks that maybe want to go in for a few days w/ the family.
I pay a flat rate of 50 for the time I am there, because it is a "sporting camp visitor" rate.

JDK

Reaction score
If I remember correctly it is (was) to cover the minimum wage increase passed by Maine's voters.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
If I remember correctly it is (was) to cover the minimum wage increase passed by Maine's voters.
And they got rid of those gate workers when they put in the auto gates, or maybe reassigned them? I used to enjoy talking to the old guy checking in at the Oxbow gate.

JDK

Reaction score
And they got rid of those gate workers when they put in the auto gates, or maybe reassigned them? I used to enjoy talking to the old guy checking in at the Oxbow gate.
The Oxbow and Dickey gates were automated before that vote.

Mr. Junkins I believe. He was a hoot.

Latest posts