Camp Meals

medrhunter

Reaction score
Being as hot as it is, its tough believing deer camp is only 4 weeks away.
Trying to step up the menu a bit this year.
What are everyone's favorite meals?
Post your fav breakfast, brown bagged lunch and dinner.
We are trying to keep prep & cook time to a minimum.

Thanks

bootstrap

Reaction score
brown bag

hard salami sandwich, apple, granola bars maybe a cruller. water, cider or juice of some sort. a few mini candy bars if i have them.

medrhunter

Reaction score
My fav brown bagger is without a doubt, leftover turkey sandwich.
We usually cook a few fresh turkey breasts on Sunday
Leftover turkey, home made apple stuffing and a few slices of cranberry sauce on a hard roll.

Don't need much more than that

Wandling

Reaction score
For breakfast I usually make a few boiled eggs with toast. I carry a few with me while I’m hunting along with some snacks. For dinner I make burgers, soups, hot dogs etc. I don’t have electricity so I keep it simple. Everything is cooked on a gas oven and cooktop.

BearHunter

Reaction score
Breakfast in camp
egg, bacon, toast, juice, coffee.
Or pancakes bacon juice coffee
Or French toast bacon juice coffee

Lunch sandwiches granola bars apples water

Dinner
Homemade chicken pot pie pre fixed and frozen then thawed and baked
Another is venison ragu served over egg noodles with red cabbage side
Another is homemade lasagna pre fixed and frozen then baked at camp
Another is sausage and peppers side of kraut and canned brown bread.
Always have steaks and baked sweet potatoes with salad on sundays.

Lots of deserts also.

No one goes hungry in camp.

rustyg

Reaction score
I will buy a good size ham. Cook it the first night for dinner. Then use the leftovers for sandwiches for lunch and chopped up ham in the scrambled eggs for breakfast.

For snacks, if I'm lazy, I will buy the packaged cookie dough. The we have warm cookies for dessert and cold fresh cookies for lunch.

Other meals:
Breakfast: Fried eggs, toast Sausage or bacon. You can buy frozen or dehydrated hash browns, Sometimes I will make breakfast burritos.
Dinner: Shepard's pie, goulash, and of course venison.

Big D

Reaction score
Typically breakfast is my big meal but not during hunting season. Too early for me to pack it away. Usually some sausage that is pre cooked and heated up and some potato patties.

Lunch is usually a couple of good size sandwiches. One is usually eaten early as an extension of breakfast. Typically chicken salad, or the Thanksgiving sandwich. Cook ahead and treat like leftovers from Thanksgiving.

Snacks are brownies or nuts

Dinners we try to make ahead and freeze to make it easy. A favorite is good old spaghetti and meatballs w/ sausage. Just heat up the sauce and boil water. Shepards pie is another.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Use to never be a big breakfast fan, just down coffee and maybe a quick snack. That attitude has changed in the last few years and I get up a little earlier so that I can get a good sized meal in. I love left over mac & cheese with ham heated in a skillet for breakfast. Tons of energy for all day. For lunch, if I don't hit the truck, it's usually a pb&j sandwich and a couple cliff energy shots, and a lot of water all day. Hydration is more important than food i think.

if I hit the truck for lunch, I have a decent food box in the truck and a little camp stove. Heat up some soup and one of those fruit cups, and refill my platypus. There's always a hot thermos of tea in there to for the days end. Dinner is burgers, or pasta, or some other meat with some veg and nice glass of wine.

Last edited:

WetWool

Reaction score
I'm a big believer in planning your meals so the leftovers lead into the next one: Steak for supper turns into steak and eggs for breakfast, bacon turns into BLT's for lunch, boiled dinner turns into ham sandwiches and ham egg mcmuffins, etc. I always keep a jar of peanut butter and fluff with bread right in the truck and it stays there. I have a hard time now doing a massive breakfast at 4am, mostly chug the coffee to wake up and have a donut or some cereal and call it good. I like Sunday brunch when you don't have to get up early and just make a big hodge podge of everything left!:smile:

WetWool

Reaction score
I've never heard of leftover steak or bacon, what are these things of which you speak?
Touche.:cool: How about "the extra that you bought and cooked thinking ahead?";)

This kind of reminds me when we would buy Sunday's beer in college on Saturday because of no beer sales in that town on Sunday's. Don't ever recall much of the "secret stash" making it!;)

Gwlambo

Reaction score
A great thread topic:
Pasta dishes are always a good choice and easy enough to pre-make and bring with us to camp (pasta w/ meatballs, lasagna, baked ziti, chop sue etc), I also enjoy either steaks or ribs one night. I am one of those guys that looks at eating as a celebration and I like just about everything. But for camp making things easy really is a wise move. Somedays you get back later than expected, or you are tired from putting too many miles on, maybe lucky with a late night drag. The last thing you want on those nights is to get into a big prep. Bag salads, frozen garlic breads, frozen veggies all make it a bit easier to pull things together. The last Saturday is usually just a bunch of leftovers - generally not steak and bacon (they don't last long) and by then we are running dangerously low on beers.
We generally have some good apps while we are just getting the cam warm and hanging clothes - cheese and crackers, pepperoni, pate, sardines etc.

lester2

Reaction score
Breakfast: biscuits and gravy. Hot, sticks to the ribs.
Bag lunch: hands down, PB&J. Crunchy PB, grape jam, not jelly. Easy, quick. Good energy when it's cold.
Supper: venison shepherds pie. Cream and kernel corn mixed, homemade mashed taters, brown gravy. Make at home, pop in the oven when you get in after dark. Added bonus the corn does its thing so morning waits at the outhouse are minimal!

Mikejd

Reaction score
what we do in camp is everone brings a meal. Most often frozen and usually double what we actually need. Usually frozen trays so we can just pop it in the oven after the hunt and while guys are getting gear put away the meal is cooking. Eggplant parm, sausage and peppers, Chicken parm, pulled pork, Pork loin,
venison meat loaf, venison stew just to name a few popular ones. breakfast options are the norm, sausage and eggs, bacon and eggs, hash and eggs, e offset the eggs with pancakes and french toast just to change things up. No body in my group is cheap so we also have plenty of deserts for after dinner and oh yeah the million dollar bar. It works out great and cooking takes minimal time.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
We bring a few dishes from home for dinner. My favorite is the homemade mac & cheese with Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar and either bacon or ham mixed in. Spaghetti is another easy prep. Breakfast is usually oatmeal at my camp, but at another camp I attend we usually heat up some premade quiche. Lunches are usually PB & honey or bologna sandwiches. I prehydrate in the mornings and don't bring alot of snacks.

Reflecting back, each camp I atttend has their unique traditions, wouldn't be the same without them. I bet I eat more PB and bologna sandwiches during November than I do during the rest of the year combined.

medrhunter

Reaction score
We eat a hearty breakfast.
Pancakes with frozen mixed berries, for those of you from NJ/PA, we bring taylor ham (aka pork roll) make sandwiches on large English muffins, breakfast burritos is another favorite. You can throw anything into those.

We usually try to plan dinners that can used for lunches as well.
Turkey, tender loin (One of us usually gets a deer during bow season, if not, beef), meatballs & sausage, spiral ham are the usual's.
We all go our separate ways during the day, so we are seldom at the truck for lunch.
The exception is if its brutally cold. Then we'll meet and cook up something hot.