Camo Patterns

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I’ve been watching this guy on YouTube, primarily because his new camera work while tracking is nothing short of amazing. I actually have gotten wrapped up in his hunts as it’s point of view stuff really. Anyway, check out some of the newer hunts he has.

This video testing different camo patterns was interesting.

https://youtu.be/KthjSrVyPZk

NorthMaine

Reaction score
I’ve been watching this guy on YouTube, primarily because his new camera work while tracking is nothing short of amazing. I actually have gotten wrapped up in his hunts as it’s point of view stuff really. Anyway, check out some of the newer hunts he has.

This video testing different camo patterns was interesting.

https://youtu.be/KthjSrVyPZk
He does have great videos. I beleive he is a BWB "Pro Staffer".

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I do enjoy Jeff's videos. I had never seen the camo video. I thought the Maine setup really stood out compared to some of the other setups.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
I think like he said, it really boils down to breaking up your shape as much as possible, whether it be trying to stay behind trees, or brush , or whatever as you walk since the movement will likely always be what they spot first.

JDK

Reaction score
I’ve watched Jeff’s videos for years and really like them. Haven’t seen the camo one yet.

I’m not a big camouflage fan and haven’t found one I like real well for northern Maine. Maybe I’m old school but the plaids ( red or green) break up outlines just as well as anything else in the market

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I do enjoy Jeff's videos. I had never seen the camo video. I thought the Maine setup really stood out compared to some of the other setups.
Obviously the plaid check check pattern has likely killed more deer than all combined, but yeah that was interesting for sure. Not positive if it blobbed because it was on a snow background, and with no snow would look better, etc.

As soon as we could wear Camo orange vests I switched over, but I wish we could wear the Camo orange hats. I always feel the round hat solid color is the most unnatural shape and pattern in the woods. Then again it probably doesn’t matter much as everyone is wearing it.

JDK

Reaction score
I guess I should watch but is the Maine pattern the smaller or larger plaid?

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I guess I should watch but is the Maine pattern the smaller or larger plaid?
Its a good watch. I would call the plaid the small check/ medium check. Like current ll bean pattern. I think Johnson always looks smaller to me, and some of the older bean stuff is larger.

Anyway, one thing I noticed though right now, is that with the plaid he has a solid orange vest, the others he doesn’t, I think that was the biggest reason he blobbed after looking at it again.

The test was flawed! We are being discriminated.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Its a good watch. I would call the plaid the small check/ medium check. Like current ll bean pattern. I think Johnson always looks smaller to me, and some of the older bean stuff is larger.

Anyway, one thing I noticed though right now, is that with the plaid he has a solid orange vest, the others he doesn’t, I think that was the biggest reason he blobbed after looking at it again.

The test was flawed! We are being discriminated.
I agree. The vest stood out. By BWB jacket has a solid color vest though.

Mikejd

Reaction score
I have watched Jeff videos for a while. I like the camo video although I Don't know how important it really is. myself and lm sure most of you have stood just feet from deer in a blaze vest with no idea I was there. Like he says movement is way more important. I guess as a tracker the deer is likely to see your movement and with good camo maybe they would ignore it. Who knows.

groundtender

Reaction score
Obviously the plaid check check pattern has likely killed more deer than all combined, but yeah that was interesting for sure. Not positive if it blobbed because it was on a snow background, and with no snow would look better, etc.

As soon as we could wear Camo orange vests I switched over, but I wish we could wear the Camo orange hats. I always feel the round hat solid color is the most unnatural shape and pattern in the woods. Then again it probably doesn’t matter much as everyone is wearing it.
The solution for hats is they should have two big blaze orange ears shaped like a deer’s. I’m sure it would give them pause, but am pretty sure I don’t want to be the first to model one!

Escout711

Reaction score
Not impressed at all by the video. 7 minutes of my life I can’t get back lol. Seriously, I think fabric has a lot to with it. You ever stand in from of a trail camera at night in camo and the IR makes you look totally white? Stand in front of a trail camera in checkered wool at night and you will see the checkered pattern. I think wool is so effective because it absorbs light and doesn’t reflect it. Some synthetic fabrics really bounce the light back. The whole concept of camo really is based on trying to hide you out in the open. If you wear a plain solid green or grey and stand behind some brush or branches, you disappear. Look at how invisible deer can be even when you know they are right there. I killed a doe the other night that I couldn’t find and thought I missed. I went back in the morning and found her, she had buried herself into briars and only her head was sticking out. I must have walked by her 4 times the night before. The Confederate Army wore grey wool, the military used plain OD green or brown for many years. Camo is absolutely overrated.

Last edited:

Latest posts