Camera's ...... what's everyone using? Do you like them, hate them, regrets?

nomadicbohunk

Reaction score
Where I grew up, we run a lot of cameras. I only run about 10 in the north east. In fact, I just ordered a few more. I've also worked on camera trap studies where I was running around 500 cameras by myself.

I've used pretty fancy ones and I've used the cheapest of the cheap. People steal them, they all go bad, etc. We just get whatever is name brand with OK reviews and super cheap on sale. The last ones I bought were refurbished no glows for $40 each. I've found about 30% or so of any type go bad the first year, and from then on it's about 10-15% a year. Our oldest few that still work are about 15 years old. I enjoy running cameras about as much as hunting.

There is that one company where they are a little $$, that will evidently fix them. I've been intrigued by them, but haven't looked into it yet. I think the most durable ones with the best photo quality are homemade, but that takes a lot of time, money, and dorking out.

Instead of SD readers, just buy two chips for each camera. When you check them, swap them out, and then format the cards for when you swap them again.

kevin in nh

Reaction score
I started out with Bushnell's and one died within 2 months and two I got a few years out of. I went to Brownings and I have 7 now all no glows and the daylight videos are great....nite time meh.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Instead of SD readers, just buy two chips for each camera. When you check them, swap them out, and then format the cards for when you swap them again.
Yeah, this is what I do, but I still need a reader even to see the pics at home.
On a related note - I took my kids Kindle with me last week and it showed me the pics perfectly. It was actually really easy to use, it hardly weighs anything in my pack, and it was nice looking at the pics on something bigger than my phone anyway. So if anyone likes to look at the pics while on stand in the woods, a Kindle is a pretty good option.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
This is what I use to download my pics in the field

I always have my phone on me so its easy to just plug it in and download them straight to my phone. I use to do the card switch but I couldn't count how many times I'd have a bunch of pictures, be all excited, put a new card in and leave it. Then get home to see hundreds of pictures of blowing leaves, raccoons, and squirrels and wished I had pulled the camera.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
This is what I use to download my pics in the field

I always have my phone on me so its easy to just plug it in and download them straight to my phone. I use to do the card switch but I couldn't count how many times I'd have a bunch of pictures, be all excited, put a new card in and leave it. Then get home to see hundreds of pictures of blowing leaves, raccoons, and squirrels and wished I had pulled the camera.
Nailed it. I was planning on pulling a cam due to no activity last week - but my boys Kindle showed a LOT of doe activity for the first time since November last year so I kept it.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Were they in the oaks??
No, these were up in the GMNF. No oaks for miles, and the beechut crop is really weak there too.

However, last weekend I hunted down in the lowlands - both Saturday and Sunday I walked into a couple oak stands, and stopped walking when I found a tree that I could hear acorns falling from. Both times I had does walk right in to me on a string. They must have heard the same thing I did and walked directly to that tree.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
No, these were up in the GMNF. No oaks for miles, and the beechut crop is really weak there too.

However, last weekend I hunted down in the lowlands - both Saturday and Sunday I walked into a couple oak stands, and stopped walking when I found a tree that I could hear acorns falling from. Both times I had does walk right in to me on a string. They must have heard the same thing I did and walked directly to that tree.
I've noticed the samething in my neck of the woods. Oaks up high have no acorns. I have yet to find a beach tree producing this year. The oaks I have found to be dropping acorns this year are down low. Interesting

NH Mountains

Reaction score
I've noticed the samething in my neck of the woods. Oaks up high have no acorns. I have yet to find a beach tree producing this year. The oaks I have found to be dropping acorns this year are down low. Interesting
I think the dry summer and fall caused stress and an early drop in some locations.

Latest posts