Cabelas, Ammo, Guns, etc

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I’ve kind of been in a bubble lately I guess and haven’t been “shopping” so to speak in 6 months. I had to run to Portland to drop off my daughter for sports last night and had an hour to kill so decided on Cabelas. A couple of friends asked me to grab a few things, etc.

Wow. The store was crazy busy. They have strategically taken a store with about half their regular inventory and spread it out so the store doesn’t look too bare. I have not been in there in almost a year. Things I noticed - camping gear is wiped out. Fishing gear may be half of normal. Men’s clothing it’s pretty much Underarmor and red head, not much else. Used gun racks are all gone. New gun inventory is way, way down.

I keep a modest supply of ammo on hand, but holy. There may have been 5 boxes of rifle ammo on the shelves and just some odd ball stuff. No 410. I got the last box of 20 6 shot. Zero buck shot, zero slugs, zero .223.

I’m in good shape and just grabbed some bird loads and sweatshirt, but the place was really picked clean.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Same with the Cabelas in Hamburg PA. I couldn't believe it when I walked in the gun area was wiped out. 90% or more of the guns were gone. Salesman said heavy demand and lack of production had wiped them out. No ammo either.

JDK

Reaction score
Yup, you've been in a bubble for sure.

I had not been into our local Walmart in 4+ months. Store is bare. They did however have a decent supply of ammo, except shotgun. I went back to pick up some primes and it is all gone.

Not just guns and ammo either. Try to buy a truck, boat, 4 wheeler, and anything outdoor related. Was telling a buddy that I had ordered fishing supplies from a major fishing retailer back in March. Everything was backordered and I honestly forgot about it. Had an email last week that the order had shipped. Just in time for the end of the season.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Yup, you've been in a bubble for sure.

I had not been into our local Walmart in 4+ months. Store is bare. They did however have a decent supply of ammo, except shotgun. I went back to pick up some primes and it is all gone.

Not just guns and ammo either. Try to buy a truck, boat, 4 wheeler, and anything outdoor related. Was telling a buddy that I had ordered fishing supplies from a major fishing retailer back in March. Everything was backordered and I honestly forgot about it. Had an email last week that the order had shipped. Just in time for the end of the season.
I ordered some .35 remington from Cabelas back in April. Still backordered.

Try ordering a kids desk...

I’ve given up on my truck search for awhile. I cant stomach the prices and having to make a split second decision before it’s gone.

Until then, I’m going to hoard my canned tomatoes to make my chili and red sauces. If no one has noticed, it’s the new Toilet Paper.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Same with the Cabelas in Hamburg PA. I couldn't believe it when I walked in the gun area was wiped out. 90% or more of the guns were gone. Salesman said heavy demand and lack of production had wiped them out. No ammo either.
Really good to know as I have been putting off a run out there for some new ammo. I guess I will wait for my trip to LL Cotes 3rd week of November!

WetWool

Reaction score
I ordered some .35 remington from Cabelas back in April. Still backordered.

Try ordering a kids desk...

I’ve given up on my truck search for awhile. I cant stomach the prices and having to make a split second decision before it’s gone.

Until then, I’m going to hoard my canned tomatoes to make my chili and red sauces. If no one has noticed, it’s the new Toilet Paper.
This will not be a good year to hunt with a .35 remington that's for sure.😥 One thing coronavirus has done is provide all the boat and camper dealers with the best year they have ever had and no inventory left. What blew my mind is what people are getting for their used boats on C.L., lasting a day and getting twice the value.

JDK

Reaction score
Every payday throughout the year, I buy 2 boxes of ammo. I have been unable to find 22 LR locally in 6 months.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I have been unable to find 22 LR locally in 6 months.
None locally , but did you find some in other parts of the state or online ? I looked at the prices online for all kinds of ammo and I could never justify the price and the cost of the shipping charges.
I guess if I had no ammo for my rifle and there was none available locally , I would have to " bite the bullet " and order some.

Pine-lock

Reaction score
I stopped by KTP on Sunday and their ammo shelves were basically bare. I was able to pick up some 12ga target loads and a few boxes of steel shot. Rifle and hand gun ammo was nonexistent.
Their used gun selection was slim compared to what they normally had.

Fortunately I have what I need on hand to get me through the season. A local shop in MA that does more hand gun and tacticool gun business has some 35 rem in stock. I was tempted to pick it up just to have "extra".

JDK

Reaction score
None locally , but did you find some in other parts of the state or online ? I looked at the prices online for all kinds of ammo and I could never justify the price and the cost of the shipping charges.
I guess if I had no ammo for my rifle and there was none available locally , I would have to " bite the bullet " and order some.
On-line I did. Like you I can't justify the cost when I have a decent amount on hand.

Other places in state- really didn't spend much time in other places but I do look and I never saw any.

groundtender

Reaction score
Glad I have enough ammo. Just call me Ole One Shot. That’s the shot I take with my rifle every year to check the scope pre-season. Probably have a fifteen year supply now😂. That’ll see me through

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad I have enough ammo. Just call me Ole One Shot. That’s the shot I take with my rifle every year to check the scope pre-season. Probably have a fifteen year supply now😂. That’ll see me through
Wow, I shoot 4 times as much as you. Usually, burn off one clip out of my 7600. :)

groundtender

Reaction score
I hunt from a blind. Am a cheapskate to begin with. Will only take a sure shot, which may or not turn out to be a “warning shot” at that. Should I actually run out of .308 ammo, I’ll retire that rifle and switch to .45-70

silver belly62

Reaction score
I was in the same boat beginning of Aug when I was looking for some 45-70 & 308 ammo. Luckily started finding a few here and there, dont think things are going to get any easier anytime soon. If you find what you want gradually stock up on a few extra

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I was told at our local gun shop that 20 gauge slugs are gone. Not looking good for a while.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I swung by my local wal mart last night. Holy crap! 3 boxes of .308 ammo, and maybe 6 boxes of 30-06 ammo. Everything else is gone.

I will be swinging by both my LGS this weekend in search of .308 ammo, 35 Rem, and 45/70.

Big D

Reaction score
Our local willymart had 1 box of 20g #6 so I grabbed it. There were only a few boxes of 12g left. Surprisingly their gun cabinet was pretty full with an assortment of rifles, shotguns, and muzzys. Probably no one buying because they have no ammo for them.

jht2224

Reaction score
I grabbed 2 boxes of Winchester 20g slugs a our local Cabelas last week....last 2 they had. Other than that they only had 6.5 Creedmore and .243 rounds....slim pickings

41mag

Reaction score
Dicks Sports has had a well stocked supply of rifle and shotgun ammo last time I was up in Burlington.
Green box Remington , Hornady & Winchester all stocked in the popular calibers.
Handgun ammo was all gone, except for a few boxes of .32 Auto.
No rimfire either.
Not sure how they're stocked up in your area.

Last edited:

Latest posts