BWB Woodman Arms Muzzleloader

Big D

Reaction score
Yup, but isn't that what some advocate for? I still say a dead deer is a dead deer whether killed in September or December. Also know a lot of people who only hunt with one type of weapon. One deer, one season, any method is the fairest season of all.
Groups have advocated for Sunday hunting from the time I started hunting. I get some of the arguments but I'm not so sure most realize it would probably result in a shorter season. I guess I'm for the status quo. I'm not a bow hunter but it really wouldn't give them a fair shake to not have their own season. Sure they could hunt right along with the rifle guys but I'm guessing that wouldn't be that enjoyable for them.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I bought one last year, these guns are legit. I had handled one a number of years ago at the Yankee Sportsman's show and was impressed. I made the call last year to retire my Knight after 20+ years of use (damn it makes me feel old to say that). I loved the Knight but it was heavy, and cleaning was quite the process. I kicked around some options and after doing plenty of research, including trading emails and talking to Mark (Woodman), I settled on the Patriot in .45 and I am glad I did. It is an absolutely great gun to carry, light and very well balanced. After toting around my old Knight for a day my shoulders and back would feel it, with this gun I might even say it was a better carry than my 7600. Dimensionally it is almost a dead ringer for a 7600, and the safety is functionally the same. I know the price tag is higher than most guns, but once you've carried and handled it, notice the precision on the machining, and the function of the hammerless design you'll probably see where the extra dime went and appreciate it. I won't rule out buying an extra barrel in the future which wears a peep sight.
That is a great looking gun!

Reaction score
I bought one last year, these guns are legit. I had handled one a number of years ago at the Yankee Sportsman's show and was impressed. I made the call last year to retire my Knight after 20+ years of use (damn it makes me feel old to say that). I loved the Knight but it was heavy, and cleaning was quite the process. I kicked around some options and after doing plenty of research, including trading emails and talking to Mark (Woodman), I settled on the Patriot in .45 and I am glad I did. It is an absolutely great gun to carry, light and very well balanced. After toting around my old Knight for a day my shoulders and back would feel it, with this gun I might even say it was a better carry than my 7600. Dimensionally it is almost a dead ringer for a 7600, and the safety is functionally the same. I know the price tag is higher than most guns, but once you've carried and handled it, notice the precision on the machining, and the function of the hammerless design you'll probably see where the extra dime went and appreciate it. I won't rule out buying an extra barrel in the future which wears a peep sight.

What is the LOP on your Woodman Muzzl ?

Reaction score
13.5”, same as my 7600.
Ok thanks. I still have two of the Knight original disc rifles(orange plastic disc) that I use. They have been great shooters and have taken a lot of deer with them but have been thinking about a newer model myself lately. Tired of using those discs to load the primers and keeping them handy, cleaning has always taken longer. But can't complain about their accuracy that's for sure. Only thing that might cause me a problem with the Woodman rifle is the rounded top of the stock with my longer LOP.

Last edited:

mwoodman

Reaction score
We have the "Tracker" version. The rounded area on the buttstock was removed. We added some engraving and checkering but the rest of the gun is the same. The idea was that this stock would be used with a peep sight. The rounded stock suits people better when used with a scope.
This can be seen on the website, www.bigwoodsbucks.com

longbow

Reaction score
Yup, but isn't that what some advocate for? I still say a dead deer is a dead deer whether killed in September or December. Also know a lot of people who only hunt with one type of weapon. One deer, one season, any method is the fairest season of all.
The different seasons were all about fairness. Bow hunters were severely handicapped so they let them get first crack before the guns sent the deer hiding. Muzzle loader hunters with their open sights, patch/balls, and only one shot got a few early days also due to their handicap. Now there is little handicap with bow or M.L.. Bows are short range guns with triggers and sights and M.L.'s are more accurate than a lot of center fire rifles and sport scopes and smokeless powder. I'm afraid we have gone to far to go back to longbows and flintlocks , so maybe one season is something to consider or changing things a little is in order.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Bows are short range guns with triggers and sights.
Hmm this may be a little bit of a stretch, maybe for the crossbow guys mmaayybbee. . . yes technology has changed but I would hesitate to say the new age bows and guns are even close to the same level. Why do you 7600 fanatics love pump guns with open sights? Being able to track, then bang bang bang through the brush as they run away at 70 yards? I just named four things, possibly five in one sentence you can't do with archery equipment. And wow 1700-2000ft/lbs of KE I would love to build an arrow that could deliver that. I'm trying to achieve 90ft/lbs. You all may be able to start getting a conversation started for comparing muzzleloaders and center fires but I just don't see how archery equipment can even be compared.

Sorry I don't mean to participate in the misdirection of this thread. Its a great looking muzzleloader, and I would seriously consider a completely enclosed muzzleloader with a safety! Pretty neat and probably extremely valuable to all the trackers

longbow

Reaction score
Hmm this may be a little bit of a stretch, maybe for the crossbow guys
Yeah, I agree there are still disadvantages with the bow for sure. But, I have a crossbow and it is as accurate as a rifle out to 50-60 yards if you know the range. The point was..., that archery equipment has evolved to the point that there may no longer be a valid argument for giving bow hunters two months of hunting before gun hunters, due to their severe disadvantage. Thus...you see the arguments posted for making one, all weapon season.

Last edited:

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
My hunting buddy bought a Woodman Patriot in .45 this weekend. I had a chance to look it over and hold it last night. It's awesome. Light, short, and feels right. I'll have one at some point. His has the picanny rail with a built in peep sight. I loved it!

Grandkid

Reaction score
Well I sprung for 4 of those Woodman Arms muzzle loaders. Yes it was a lot of coin but one for me, one for my adult son and two others will be for two of my four grandchildren. I have plenty of others for the other two to pick from. They are and will be a dream to shoot. They carry well and are on the order of getting a truly customized gun. Thanks to Mark Woodman for your attention to detail and astounding craftsmanship with this rifle. Anyone looking at upgrading their gun will do well to at least look at and handle one. I use muzzle loaders a ton. NH, Ma, Wisconsin, NY....they will come in handy.

Roger-

Reaction score
Well I sprung for 4 of those Woodman Arms muzzle loaders. Yes it was a lot of coin but one for me, one for my adult son and two others will be for two of my four grandchildren. I have plenty of others for the other two to pick from. They are and will be a dream to shoot. They carry well and are on the order of getting a truly customized gun. Thanks to Mark Woodman for your attention to detail and astounding craftsmanship with this rifle. Anyone looking at upgrading their gun will do well to at least look at and handle one. I use muzzle loaders a ton. NH, Ma, Wisconsin, NY....they will come in handy.

Roger-
Very nice, good luck with them. Wish someone down this way would have them in stock so I could take a look at one. Still haven't pulled the trigger on a new muzzl yet

Grandkid

Reaction score
Call the number on the Big Woods Buck web sight and speak to Timmy. He is an expert on this gun and he can probably hook you up.

Roger-