BWB Woodman Arms Muzzleloader

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Anyone see the new Woodman Arms Muzzleloaders being sold by Big Woods Bucks?

They look like a really nice gun. Around the same length as a 7600 Carbine, and slightly lighter. In hearing the BWB guys talk, the feel, way it carries, safety, etc. is about as close to a 760/7600 as you can get without being one. Break action, however, everything is internal, no hammer, so nothing to get wet or damp. Customizable with different stock and sight options and all custom made locally right in NH.

I'm not sure I personally would spend close to $1000 for one, but definitely something I would be looking into if I was in the market. I think for now, I'll just stick with my $79 CVA Wolf.

https://store.bigwoodsbucks.com/muzzleloaders

I see they also started dealing Trijicon scopes.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
Anyone see the new Woodman Arms Muzzleloaders being sold by Big Woods Bucks?

They look like a really nice gun. Around the same length as a 7600 Carbine, and slightly lighter. In hearing the BWB guys talk, the feel, way it carries, safety, etc. is about as close to a 760/7600 as you can get without being one. Break action, however, everything is internal, no hammer, so nothing to get wet or damp. Customizable with different stock and sight options and all custom made locally right in NH.

I'm not sure I personally would spend close to $1000 for one, but definitely something I would be looking into if I was in the market. I think for now, I'll just stick with my $79 CVA Wolf.

https://store.bigwoodsbucks.com/muzzleloaders

I see they also started dealing Trijicon scopes.
Hal has been using one for awhile. We ran into him last muzzle loader season. It is a nice looking gun for sure. You can buy one from Woodman for less. I don't muzzle load enough to justify the cost. I really like my T/C Triumph.

JDK

Reaction score
I think the State of Maine should only allow percussion or flintlock rifles, patched round balls, open sights (non fiber optic), and blackpowder/pyrodex during the muzzleloading season.

Last edited:

NorthMaine

Reaction score
I think the State of Maine should only allow percussion or flintlock rifles, patched round balls, open sights (non fiber optic), and blackpowder/pyrodex during the muzzleloading season.
That would sure make things interesting.

My neighbor growing up had built a few flintlock rifles (Kentucky) and I believe hunted with them briefly. I don't think he ever shot anything with them but they are beautiful pieces.

If I remember, he had purchased the hardware kits and had made the stock himself out of wood he had, then assembled/finished everything. He has since died, but his wife still has them.

JUNEBUGG

Reaction score
I think the State of Maine should have a two week ML season....Statewide.

JDK

Reaction score
I think the State of Maine should have a two week ML season....Statewide.
I don't think we should have separate seasons. If we are going to be a one deer state what does it matter what or when you shoot it with? Set a deer season and call it good. You want to stick them with a broadhead, use a Core-lokt or Shockwave, or blow them up with tennerite, have at it.

All I hear is:

When small bucks are shot---we need ARs
When it snows and big bucks are shot--close the season

If our deer can't handle pressure then the only thing you can do is regulate length or equipment. Muzzleloaders have become very advanced and the season is nothing more than an extension of rifle season. People are shooting 200 yards, using scopes, far better bullets and propellants, and killing more deer. One season, one deer, any weapon.

Last edited:

Mikejd

Reaction score
Mark woodman does some real nice work. He has done a few things for me and he is also the builder of the Benoit rifles. I like the Patriot but as others have said I muzzy hunt a few days a year so I'll probably just stick with my encore with my tiny little Khatadin barrel.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I don't think we should have separate seasons. If we are going to be a one deer state what does it matter what or when you shoot it with? Set a deer season and call it good. You want to stick them with a broadhead, use a Core-lokt or Shockwave, or blow them up with tennerite, have at it.

All I hear is:

If our deer can't handle pressure then the only thing you can do is regulate length or equipment. Muzzleloaders have become very advanced and the season is nothing more than an extension of rifle season. People are shooting 200 yards, using scopes, far better bullets and propellants, and killing more deer. One season, one deer, any weapon.
You got me thinking on this, so I pulled all the data back from 2006 and calculated the ML harvest as a percentage of total harvest.
I assumed with the increase in technology, the increased affordability of these things, YouTube to show you everything you need to know, and the favorable economy we would see a gradual increase over time of harvest.

The data tells me otherwise and I can’t upload the picture of the chart I made. On laptop can’t post here, etc.

Anyway, in 2006-2010 we averaged 5.5%. 2011-2017 a fairly stable decline year over year with a 4% average hitting the lowest point last year at 3.5%.

Weather and rut and doe permits must play a role to the entire picture I guess.

NorthMaine

Reaction score

All I hear is:

Those are very valid points that I hadn't really thought of before. I think I could get on board with this. It's not like Maine is NH where you can get one deer with a bow and one with a rifle/muzzleloader. In certain NH zones, it's also free doe hunting the first few days of muzzleloader season or something along those lines.

Mark woodman does some real nice work. He has done a few things for me and he is also the builder of the Benoit rifles. I like the Patriot but as others have said I muzzy hunt a few days a year so I'll probably just stick with my encore with my tiny little Khatadin barrel.
I've seen you say that on another post, when you say "Benoit rifles", what do you mean?

NorthMaine

Reaction score
You got me thinking on this, so I pulled all the data back from 2006 and calculated the ML harvest as a percentage of total harvest.
I assumed with the increase in technology, the increased affordability of these things, YouTube to show you everything you need to know, and the favorable economy we would see a gradual increase over time of harvest.

The data tells me otherwise and I can’t upload the picture of the chart I made. On laptop can’t post here, etc.

Anyway, in 2006-2010 we averaged 5.5%. 2011-2017 a fairly stable decline year over year with a 4% average hitting the lowest point last year at 3.5%.

I think part of it is if given the choice, most will rifle hunt over muzzleloader. It's used as a last resort for folks who have the time and equipment to hunt the season. If you take a week off during rifle season, that is probably your only week regardless of whether you get a deer or not. You aren't going to take another week or few days for the next season.

Meatseeker

Reaction score

All I hear is:

Its hard to argue with that logic. In MA I now hunt the "primitive" firearm season with TC Omega, Nikon Scope, Blackhorn 209 powder, and hornady FTX 44 cal bullets. That combination will shoot MOA groups all day long at 100 yards and I would not hesitate to shoot out to 150 yards given the right opportunity. The performance of this setup is as good as most of my center fire rifle set ups (actually more accurate than some of them) that I am not allowed to us in MA. Not exactly "primitive" by any stretch of the imagination, but I have 2 buck tags and 2 doe tags for the zone I hunt in. So in the end it provides a very efficient/lethal tool for shooting deer. But in a 1 and done state like Maine, I honestly don't see the logic of a two week muzzy season in this day in age. Just allow any firearm, or if you want to really curtail harvest have a true "primitive" season like PA where you can only use flintlocks with open sites or archery equipment.

JDK

Reaction score

Maine's deer harvest was over 32,000 in 2018

1800 plus for ML, well over the projected 750-1000. Again about 5.6 percent.

You guys were telling us that the idiots were sitting in their cars 6 deep shooting bucks on migration routes. I'm not arguing that. Make it hard on the heater hunters if you are going to have a season when the deer are migrating. I strongly suspect that the original intent of ML season didn't involve the huge advances in technology..

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Maine's deer harvest was over 32,000 in 2018

1800 plus for ML, well over the projected 750-1000. Again about 5.6 percent.

You guys were telling us that the idiots were sitting in their cars 6 deep shooting bucks on migration routes. I'm not arguing that. Make it hard on the heater hunters if you are going to have a season when the deer are migrating. I strongly suspect that the original intent of ML season didn't involve the huge advances in technology..
I won’t debate that last point and do agree. The first thing out of my mouth when describing muzzleloading to non hunters is “it’s not a musket, and not what it used to be”.

Down here im surrounded my shotgun only zones due to suburban areas and concerns of the reach of rounds, but you can use a ML that reaches out 200+ yards. Makes no sense. Half the guys I see use MLers.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
I think in the last podcast, Hal talked about shooting the Patriot out to 300 yards.

JDK

Reaction score
1. I won’t debate that last point and do agree.

2. The first thing out of my mouth when describing muzzleloading to non hunters is “it’s not a musket, and not what it used to be”.
1. I don't agree with what I wrote and don't agree. Just food for thought but where does it end? Hunting around food plots, clear cuts, or orchards? Riding around looking for tracks? How about making the NMW walk in only (like that Adirondacks) except for timber harvesting. What about scopes with turrets and long range rifles? Calls, scents, treestands? Longbows rather than compound bows? How about a regulation that if you wound a deer and don't recover it, you are done? You cannot, should not, regulate ethics. Use the best tool for the job and be done. A dead deer is a dead deer.

2. I do agree.

Anyway I apologize to the OP as I went WAY off topic.

Last edited:

NorthMaine

Reaction score
1. I don't agree with what I wrote and don't agree. Just food for thought but where does it end? Hunting around food plots, clear cuts, or orchards? Riding around looking for tracks? How about making the NMW walk in only (like that Adirondacks) except for timber harvesting. What about scopes with turrets and long range rifles? Calls, scents, treestands? Longbows rather than compound bows? How about a regulation that if you wound a deer and don't recover it, you are done? You cannot, should not, regulate ethics. Use the best tool for the job and be done. A dead deer is a dead deer.

2. I do agree.

Anyway I apologize to the OP as I went WAY off topic.
Haha, no worries. I love the discussions and opinions that come out.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I bought one last year, these guns are legit. I had handled one a number of years ago at the Yankee Sportsman's show and was impressed. I made the call last year to retire my Knight after 20+ years of use (damn it makes me feel old to say that). I loved the Knight but it was heavy, and cleaning was quite the process. I kicked around some options and after doing plenty of research, including trading emails and talking to Mark (Woodman), I settled on the Patriot in .45 and I am glad I did. It is an absolutely great gun to carry, light and very well balanced. After toting around my old Knight for a day my shoulders and back would feel it, with this gun I might even say it was a better carry than my 7600. Dimensionally it is almost a dead ringer for a 7600, and the safety is functionally the same. I know the price tag is higher than most guns, but once you've carried and handled it, notice the precision on the machining, and the function of the hammerless design you'll probably see where the extra dime went and appreciate it. I won't rule out buying an extra barrel in the future which wears a peep sight.

IMG_5978_compressed.jpg

IMG_7141_compressed.jpg

Big D

Reaction score
I guess we could just have one season but overall it's going to be a shorter season. Kind of like if we added Sunday hunting.

JDK

Reaction score
I guess we could just have one season but overall it's going to be a shorter season. Kind of like if we added Sunday hunting.
Yup, but isn't that what some advocate for? I still say a dead deer is a dead deer whether killed in September or December. Also know a lot of people who only hunt with one type of weapon. One deer, one season, any method is the fairest season of all.