Busted last night

bigbore442001

Reaction score
I was in my treestand for Connecticut archery season for a late afternoon hunt. The spot has some promise as deer had been seen on my trail camera.

So I went there and sat for some time. The wind was somewhat erratic and I was unsure of the direction. According to Weather Underground the wind would be from SSE which meant it would blow up the property I was hunting. Deer will come from either the north or the west on this land. I was unsure of what direction since the conditions for the most part have been dry and the sign very hard to distinguish.
We had light rain showers. I did not have any rain gear but I was more or less bone dry since a canopy of leaves covered up my spot.

It was at 541 PM when I heard the WHOOSH WHOOSH of a doe blowing the alarm call. I peered to the north and saw her running waving her flag for all to see. She was about 60 yards away or so. Bear in mind the woods are still filled with foliage just starting to turn color.

I wondered if she had somehow seen me. My stands tend to be lower than most. I put this one up at around 12 feet or so. I did check the wind with a puff bottle.
Sure enough the plume of baking soda and talc drifted right to her.

I am not sure if there is a way to defeat the nose of a deer other than to be downwind or cross wind to where they are expected to come from.
Bowhunting can be tough.

Turningleaf

Reaction score
Gotta get up to about 20 plus feet anyway. It's tough with erratic winds even then. You'll get her next time!