Bullwinkle Bites the Dust

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
Returned home from the Zone 5 moose hunt on 15 October. We headed to camp on the 8th of October and did some scouting on the 9th and 10th. We located some cows and a couple or small bulls. Monday we headed to the area where we saw the bigger of the two bulls and set up just as it was getting light enough to shoot. After 15 minutes of calling we had a bull come within 10 yards. I looked at Dennis who had the permit and said are you going to shoot? He shook his head no? He had a 44 hand gun and I have seen him shoot to 100 yards and put them in a pie plate all day long. He was also using his Browning .270. I reached for my phone to take a picture and looked back to him and he picked up the handgun so I thought he changed his mind and was going to shoot? I put the phone away and got my rifle ready and no shot? I never did get a good picture of that moose. A half mile down the road we saw a cow and bigger bull and when we stopped they took off. Never saw them again and that was the last moose we saw Monday. Tuesday morning we started in the area we saw the second bull and had no luck calling and did not see a moose until driving out in the dark and there was a small cow in the road. We found some good sign on Tuesday and wanted to set up first thing in the morning. We left camp before 5 am and got turned around on back roads? Once we got on track we saw headlights go by on another road. Turned out they were now headed down the same back road we wanted to go? They turned left and that was the area we wanted to go so we took the road straight ahead and as it was getting light saw two bulls in the clearing which immediately took off. The temps were near 75 each day and after the mornings we were not seeing any moose. We decided to go back to this area first thing on Thursday morning and park and walk in and set up and do some calling. It was warm and foggy that morning and did not get any response to calling and did not see a thing. In the mean time Doug who is Dennis son had some kind of infection and his cheek was all swollen for the last few days so we headed to Holton at 8 to get him to a clinic. After that we head over to Ashland and went into the area were I shot my cow last year. Down a dead end road (aren't they all) we stopped to stretch our legs and pee. I walked a little further in front of the truck and saw some fresh tracks in the mud I turned around and Dennis was at the truck at getting is rifle so I went and got mine too. He started down this strip cut and was ahead of me by 25 yards he stopped and waved to me to get over there and I was loading while walking. He said there was a bull bedded down and he took off in some thick stuff. I stayed in the strip cut and he was going in after him and he told me if he comes out and I have a good shot to take it. Sure enough he showed at the edge of the cut about 80 yards out and one shot from the .280 he was down in the cut. He was 425lbs which was probably smaller that the one we passed on Monday. It was a good week but way too hot. The foliage was beautiful during the week too.

Attachments

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Congratulations. That is going to be a great freezer full. Congrats on the bull and thanks for the TR and Pics!

Reaction score
Returned home from the Zone 5 moose hunt on 15 October. We headed to camp on the 8th of October and did some scouting on the 9th and 10th. We located some cows and a couple or small bulls. Monday we headed to the area where we saw the bigger of the two bulls and set up just as it was getting light enough to shoot. After 15 minutes of calling we had a bull come within 10 yards. I looked at Dennis who had the permit and said are you going to shoot? He shook his head no? He had a 44 hand gun and I have seen him shoot to 100 yards and put them in a pie plate all day long. He was also using his Browning .270. I reached for my phone to take a picture and looked back to him and he picked up the handgun so I thought he changed his mind and was going to shoot? I put the phone away and got my rifle ready and no shot? I never did get a good picture of that moose. A half mile down the road we saw a cow and bigger bull and when we stopped they took off. Never saw them again and that was the last moose we saw Monday. Tuesday morning we started in the area we saw the second bull and had no luck calling and did not see a moose until driving out in the dark and there was a small cow in the road. We found some good sign on Tuesday and wanted to set up first thing in the morning. We left camp before 5 am and got turned around on back roads? Once we got on track we saw headlights go by on another road. Turned out they were now headed down the same back road we wanted to go? They turned left and that was the area we wanted to go so we took the road straight ahead and as it was getting light saw two bulls in the clearing which immediately took off. The temps were near 75 each day and after the mornings we were not seeing any moose. We decided to go back to this area first thing on Thursday morning and park and walk in and set up and do some calling. It was warm and foggy that morning and did not get any response to calling and did not see a thing. In the mean time Doug who is Dennis son had some kind of infection and his cheek was all swollen for the last few days so we headed to Holton at 8 to get him to a clinic. After that we head over to Ashland and went into the area were I shot my cow last year. Down a dead end road (aren't they all) we stopped to stretch our legs and pee. I walked a little further in front of the truck and saw some fresh tracks in the mud I turned around and Dennis was at the truck at getting is rifle so I went and got mine too. He started down this strip cut and was ahead of me by 25 yards he stopped and waved to me to get over there and I was loading while walking. He said there was a bull bedded down and he took off in some thick stuff. I stayed in the strip cut and he was going in after him and he told me if he comes out and I have a good shot to take it. Sure enough he showed at the edge of the cut about 80 yards out and one shot from the .280 he was down in the cut. He was 425lbs which was probably smaller that the one we passed on Monday. It was a good week but way too hot. The foliage was beautiful during the week too.
Congrats! Will be some good eating for sure! Thanks for the story too!!

Xbolt

Reaction score
I shoot the bigger brother to the 280
The 280 ackley imp. (the original chambering not the new nosler wanba be) been shooting that cartridge for 35+yrs when it waa a, wildcat cartridge for hanloaders

Latest posts