Buck tag

Tracker

Reaction score
I wish NH would allow us to purchase an extra buck firearms tag and then let people who wish purchase a doe tag . I purchase doe tags every year and never fill them. I don't shoot does.

swnoel

Reaction score
I wish NH would allow us to purchase an extra buck firearms tag and then let people who wish purchase a doe tag . I purchase doe tags every year and never fill them. I don't shoot does.
I feel your pain... likewise I don't shoot does! I guess there have been some instances in the past where I was sure the fawns with the does were button bucks, but I couldn't do it. It seems like it's paying dividends for me because I'm seeing some nice bucks I never saw before.

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Purchasing antleress tags and not filling them prompts the agency to issue more antlerless tags. They issue antlerless tags in two zones to achieve a desired effect and intentions of those tags are to be in the hands of hunters who will use them.

Save yourself the money if you are not going to fill the tags.

Last edited:

VTHunter08

Reaction score
yeah that seems relatively simple. if you don't intend to use them then why purchase them?

Or is this one of those scenarios like the wife finding your "special" mag collection? "I don't know why I bought them hun, I don't look at them!" yyeeaahh ssuurree you don't ;) haha

swnoel

Reaction score
Just because you purchase a tag doesn't guarantee you'll fill it. My guess is that there aren't many purchasing these tags that won't use them.

JDK

Reaction score
Big difference between "not filling" and "no intention of filling."

edit

Just to be clear, I agree with what is being said about most getting tags with the intention of killing a doe.

Last edited:

outdoorsman

Reaction score
Myself, I don’t see it as saving a doe. I see it as inadvertently self issuing a second tag for a hunter to explore the woods and shoot the doe that was attempted to be saved.

Jimmy S

Reaction score
Guess when I get my L tag I'll save another doe.
You certaunky have the right to do whatever you want but -
Since the L Tag is by lottery only, are you not depriving anther hunter the opportunity to shoot a doe?
Similar to members of PETA getting a moose tag with no intention of using it.

Paul/NH

Reaction score
You certaunky have the right to do whatever you want but -
Since the L Tag is by lottery only, are you not depriving anther hunter the opportunity to shoot a doe?
Similar to members of PETA getting a moose tag with no intention of using it.
Actually, if you believe the F&G know what they are doing with deer management, you are potentially doing a lot more damage than just depriving another hunter the opportunity to take a doe that wants to.

1) By not filling your doe tags, you are making it harder for the adequate numbers of antlerless deer to be harvested.
2) As Outdoorsman stated, the F&G will then look at "success" rates for filling tags and issue more in subsequent years to meet the needed harvest.
3) then you have the risk of an over harvest of animals if in any particular year if a greater % of people who get permits decide to and successfully fill them

Paul/NH

Reaction score
Does anyone know the % of successful hunters that fill their M and L Tags?
I do believe that information is available, I just forget where... I think they have the % that fill the first, and the % that fill the second as you are forced to buy a pair (at least in M.) Please don't get me started on that particular nuance. :mad:

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Actually, if you believe the F&G know what they are doing with deer management, you are potentially doing a lot more damage than just depriving another hunter the opportunity to take a doe that wants to.

1) By not filling your doe tags, you are making it harder for the adequate numbers of antlerless deer to be harvested.
2) As Outdoorsman stated, the F&G will then look at "success" rates for filling tags and issue more in subsequent years to meet the needed harvest.
3) then you have the risk of an over harvest of animals if in any particular year if a greater % of people who get permits decide to and successfully fill them
4.) More tags issued means more hunters to those zones.
4A) means the possibility of more land owners posting their land for "safety concerns"
4B) more hunters means the dreaded "more pressure" to that particular zone which I hear a lot of hunters complain about. I guess that turns big bucks into "ghosts".

outdoorsman

Reaction score
4A) means the possibility of more land owners posting their land for "safety concerns"
4B) more hunters means the dreaded "more pressure" to that particular zone which I hear a lot of hunters complain about. I guess that turns big bucks into "ghosts".
Down here those “ghosts” go nocturnal and tuck up against housing developments or large wetlands when the foot traffic gets heavy in the small wood lots. It’s crazy how fast deer change their patterns to thick swamps and backyards in a few days time.

Tracker

Reaction score
Totally agree

I passed on 6 different bucks last year . I was after a big 8, so I didn't fill one of my tags. All I'm trying to say is NH should give out 2 buck tags . I would pay 100 bucks for an extra tag

Last edited:

dennisg34

Reaction score
How come y'all don't shoot does? They taste better and it's pretty important to hunt does as well for herd management.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Down here those “ghosts” go nocturnal and tuck up against housing developments or large wetlands when the foot traffic gets heavy in the small wood lots. It’s crazy how fast deer change their patterns to thick swamps and backyards in a few days time.
Funny you should mention this. Yesterday my brother showed me some fuzzy pictures taken by an aquaintance of his who just bought a house in Salem NH. Anyway the guy is a hunter and he took a walk out of his back yard to scout around and lo and behold what gets up from behind a stone wall just a short way from his yard...a bachelor group of 4 monster bucks!
Again, the pics he snapped in a hurry with his cheapo phone were fuzzy as hell and blown up somewhat but each of these bucks would be NH record book bucks! I’ll see if my brother will send me the pics and I’ll post them.
The guy said these bucks were 50’ behind his house. I thought there were 4 bucks but only see 2. Just spotted the third buck he’s looking right at the guy and you can see his brown coloring.

Attachments

Last edited: