Buck Down! (Pics)

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Taken by my wife with a 97 jeep wrangler at 50 mph. She is OK, but it shook her up a bit. Buck jumped out from left and she said it was like a sudden explosion of glass in her face. She had a few small pieces of debris removed from her eyes by the eye doctor. More character dents for the hunting jeep, new windshield Friday.
IMG_4675.jpg

mowbizz

Reaction score
Yikes! Glad she wasn’t hurt more than that!
damn…you’d better kill more of them tick toters LB!:eek:

NH Mountains

Reaction score
I’m glad your wife is ok LB and she was able to keep control of the vehicle.

tobydog

Reaction score
Curious, what do you guys tell your loved ones about potential deer strikes? I am in the process of teaching my daughter and step-son how to drive and I mention the possibility every so often. I say things like...always scan the road, especially at dusk and at night. Watch for movement and eyes.
Also, my high school biology teacher gave us some advice one day in class that I pass on to my kids. He said as you are learning to drive, condition yourself to not react when something like a squirrel or other type of small animal runs out in front of you. Point being a little road kill is better than a car into a tree.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Curious, what do you guys tell your loved ones about potential deer strikes? I am in the process of teaching my daughter and step-son how to drive and I mention the possibility every so often. I say things like...always scan the road, especially at dusk and at night. Watch for movement and eyes.
Also, my high school biology teacher gave us some advice one day in class that I pass on to my kids. He said as you are learning to drive, condition yourself to not react when something like a squirrel or other type of small animal runs out in front of you. Point being a little road kill is better than a car into a tree.
I have also learned (if your driving skills allow) if you see the deer in time, to never steer in the direction the deer is going…try to steer to miss behind it. Deer generally don’t turn around but keep going.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Tell them to reduce speed and not to swerve. Almost all serious injury crashes involving animals are because the person swerved, ran off the road and hit a tree, rolled over, etc.. Also, if one deer runs across the road there is probably another coming behind it, slow down.

On another note, I have noticed if you are doing under 45 or so just keep driving right at a squirrel, they are quick enough to avoid the tires. Do not slow down or abruptly swerve, that will throw his timing off and you may hit him. Warning: this tactic does not work with slower animals like possum and coon. :D

*Also, put them in a big slow car or truck if you can. Size matters in a crash, I don't care what the safety rating say on a compact car.

groundtender

Reaction score
Moose - If collision is inevitable take your foot off the brakes so the front of your vehicle is higher up and not wedged down forward. Been lucky enough not to have to take this advice, but this what the “experts” recommend

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I think the biggest thing is see the entire road. Don't just stare at the hood ornament (no tunnel vision). With that being said, the way most people drive today, they're drafting you like there's 2 to go in Talladega. With gas prices being what they are, maybe they're the smart ones. LOL

I'm in the process of teaching my second kid how to drive. The oldest tells me all the time the best advice I gave her that she didn't receive in drivers ed was "Assume every person driving is a dumb ass, and try to predict what they're next dumb ass maneuver is going to be" example... blinkers on when not turning so don't pull out thinking you're good, turning with no blinkers on, tailgating, turning quickly into a road because they don't know or forgot where they were going, blowing through stop signs, racing yellow lights. You know...... dumb ass shit that we see everyday. LOL

802-603hunter

Reaction score
Glad she made it out relatively unscathed.

When I’m heading to camp up north at night I drive a little differently. In the zones of road that are largely uninhabited but have some moose I will almost straddle the yellow lines. This gives me more road to work with if I happen upon a moose. I’ll see oncoming headslights well in advance and make the obvious adjustments. Right or wrong, thats what I do.

Browseline

Reaction score
Glad Holly is ok. She did well to stay on the road and get stopped. Did the deer stay on the hood after the crash? My brush guard wouldn't have helped much in that situation by the looks.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad Holly is ok. She did well to stay on the road and get stopped. Did the deer stay on the hood after the crash? My brush guard wouldn't have helped much in that situation by the looks.
Thanks. She said when she stopped the deer was in the middle of the road just in front and left of her car. So, it must have stayed on there until she stopped and then flopped off. It was still alive.

JJM6

Reaction score
My daughter went to college at Colby Sawyer in New London. During orientation the students were told If a collision with a moose seemed unavoidable, aim for the back because moose “don’t back up”. Not sure how true that is or if so if it’s applicable to deer.

NoDeerHere

Reaction score
I was driving home 27 May and was on Route 209 in the Poconos and had deer two times cross the road in front of the truck. One was out maybe 50 yards in front and the other maybe 10 yards. They can sure appear in a hurry. Glad your wife is okay.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I was driving home 27 May and was on Route 209 in the Poconos and had deer two times cross the road in front of the truck. One was out maybe 50 yards in front and the other maybe 10 yards. They can sure appear in a hurry. Glad your wife is okay.
My gosh, you should have called me and stopped in for dinner or something. Only a few miles from there!

mowbizz

Reaction score
I took a ride to the NH Seacoast today to pick up my granddaughter and on the way I counted 8 dead deer on the highways….about 120’miles round trip.
that’s not counting what had been picked up already…probably 2 or 3 more.

Grandkid

Reaction score
I saw the same thing (8-10) on 93 between Hooksett and Lincoln and back on Sunday morning. Most of them were young bucks.
LB glad your wife is okay.
Roger-

Latest posts