Bow shopping

Fulltimegrind

Reaction score
Gm...looking to buy my 1st bow can any one point me in the rite direction I’m 6”0 230 was looking at a few but want some input on which way to go just getting started

Last edited:

mowbizz

Reaction score
Shopping online? I would suggest finding a good archery shop in your area. Consulting with a pro bow shop on what your needs are and go from there. A good shop will have entry level as well as top line bows to show you. You can usually shoot them in the shop and get basic instruction on form. Good luck!
Bow manufacturer should not be the first choice for a first bow. Get something that fits and you can draw and shoot well!
Everything will fall into place as you get better.

Fulltimegrind

Reaction score
Go to a shop and check them out. Hoyt, Mathews, Diamond, PSE, Bear, all make quality bows.
The diamond bowtech infinite edge pro is what I have been looking at. Also found one on amazon but I don’t know how much I trust that

NH Hunter

Reaction score
The diamond bowtech infinite edge pro is what I have been looking at. Also found one on amazon but I don’t know how much I trust that
[/QUOTE

a Bow is not something you buy off amazon. Not if you want to be happy. It also guarantees you'll be at the back of the line when you need a GOOD bow tech to service it. Sure you can bring it to a BPS and wait a month. Buy it from a small, reputable shop they should always make sure to help you out. Saving a few bucks, vs saving aggravation WHEN not IF you need bow repairs is not worth the money. That's all I have for advice , other than shoot every bow you can. If the tech is annoyed you want to, go to another shop. You're the one with 1500.00+ dollars to spend. That's their job. I wouldn't' buy anything until you shoot both the Hoyt's and Mathews line.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
That looks like a good bow. It should last you many years or until you decide to upgrade. You can spend thousands on top of the line models. My son has a Diamond and has been a good bow for 5 years now. Would be nice if you could go to a shop to buy and shoot it. They can adjust the cams/draw length, and help you pick out arrows and a release etc. That bow is around $350, so expect to spend another 200 or so on arrows, release, broadheads, field points.

Did you consider a cross bow? For someone just starting out it may be a good choice. Kind of a cross between bow and gun hunting. If you hunt with it for a while and decide you want more of a challenge then you could get a compound. It will get you out in the woods with quite an effective tool during the archery season. With minimal practice and time you can become quite proficient. Just thought I would throw that idea out there.

Last edited:

Mikejd

Reaction score
Bows are a strange tool what feels great in one hunters hand feels like crap to another and price has very little to do with it. The first time I realized this I had my heart set on a particular bow. I just had to have it. I went to a good shop by my house to buy the bow and the techs at the shop convinced me to shoot a few bows. I ended up shooting about 10 different bows that day including a few of the techs personal bows. ( I thought that was pretty cool of them) well long story short I ended up with an entirely different bow then planned and not one I ever planned on shooting. Since that day I take my time shoot all the bows that interest me and decide from there. Good luck in your search.

As for that infinite edge I have a breand new one right now. I originally bought for my son but it is to much bow for him right now. We have not even set it up yet, But it does seem to be a really well built bow with some cool features. If you think its one you will like go find a shop that has it.

where in NY do you live. There are some good bow shops around.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I think we've talked about it a little before on here - I think most people would buy something completely different if they weren't able to look at the bow or be affected by marketing. I agree, go to a local shop, tell them your budget, and shoot a couple. Don't even look at the specs/performance.