Bow-fishing in VA

VTwoodchuck

Reaction score
We went to Roanoke last week to visit my daughter for her Birthday.
After two days of watching her and my wife shop, my reward came on Saturday. She said we better eat if you want to go bow fishing!....I knew that she and her friends had been bow-fishing so I thought this would be fun. We pulled into the driveway and the boat blew me away! IMG_2185_zpsu21kfnkb.jpg

The boat had a huge platform and six sodium street light. A pair of generators ran the lights and strip lighting around the boat.

Last edited:

VTwoodchuck

Reaction score
We arrive to the launch and find it full of bass boat trailers. It turns out there is a tourney going on. The few boats that are there come over to talk. They know that we are there to shoot Carp that are feeding on bass eggs. We find a quiet cove and switch on the lights. IMG_2187_zpsueskyzuj.jpg

Before I know it my daughter lets an arrow go connecting on a common Carp. Carp are the only fish we can shoot so Im a little slow to identify but once I catch on I connect with a few. Aiming well below where the fish appears to be becomes natural after a while.

Last edited:

VTwoodchuck

Reaction score
Next she hits a Mirror Carp. It a mutant carp that looks like the scales are backwards. IMG_2194_zpszfuqausx.jpg

Last edited:

VTwoodchuck

Reaction score
The Mirror looked pretty cool.
IMG_2193_zpsaujjrza2.jpg

We fished until 2 AM boating 10 carp between 6-12 pounds. I can’t wait to do this again. Probably you guys have done this before but it was the first time for me. Fast paced and bow shooting typically don’t go together. They are heading to SC in a few weeks to shoot in a Ray tourney that are coming into the brackish water after the oyster beds.

Im waiting for the phone to ring..............

Last edited:

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
That looks like alot of fun with plenty of constant action.

Since there were no pics of you with a fish , we can come to a conclusion that your daughter must be a better shot than you are. LOL

But we will give you credit anyways cause you are the one that taught her how to shoot .

mdab27

Reaction score
that sounds great! I've only been bowfishing once down in FL. Shot a tiny gator Gar, but they ahve huge ones down there too. It would be something fun to get into up here in MA as well.

Fixed blade

Reaction score
Bow fishings a ton of fun. I usually head to Massena every year for the St Lawrence tournament. This year we had to pass because my friends son graduates from HS. Last year we boated close to 100 carp between 3 of us and had a blast. The spawn was on big time. Biggest was 34 lbs. the winner was around 47 lbs. lots of fun. FYI there's carp in Champlain and Pelkeys does a tournament.

VTwoodchuck

Reaction score
Ray pic

They fished in a Ray tournament in the Chesapeake last week. The weather was tough but they did OK. (40+ rays this year 100+ last year)
This one was an average size.
Ash Ray.jpeg

Last edited:

badfisherman

Reaction score
Ive watched this several times and always thought it would be a blast!!

Latest posts