Boot Recommendations

Bucksaw

Reaction score
A year and a half ago I banged up my achilles pretty bad where it meets my heel, playing old man softball. It still bothers me, and my foot takes a beating if I wear rubber boots, especially if I'm side-hilling or climbing mountains. This year I wore more of a mountain boot for support and might not ever go back to rubber boots again, and my feet will probably thank me. I wore a pair of quiet gators as well and those definitely save me in some wet areas!

The hard soles of leather boots might be a little less quiet in the woods, but I think it's worth it if you plan on climbing or putting on a lot of miles in mountainous terrain.
What mountain boots do you have and would you recommend?

Browseline

Reaction score
What kind of boot would your recommend for a hunt where you might hike in 1 or 2 miles and then sit in a stand for several hours in cold weather?
This is kind of what I do now, combined with still hunting back down the mountain in the afternoons. I have to be a little more careful where I hunt and try to pick spots where the drag will be mostly downhill. Hiking down into low country near lakes where it would be all up hill to get a deer out are a thing of the past
for me at nearly 70 years old.

3 or 4 years ago I bought a pair of Irish Setter, 1200 gram rubber boots. Rubber on the outside but the inside is lined with neoprene. Where I hunt I was always dodging swamps, brooks and wet areas and many times ended up in mud and water well over my leather boots. When there was wet snow I was never
able to keep my feet dry and warm. So far the Irish Setters have kept my feet both warm and dry even setting for 4 hours in 10 degree weather in the snow. I wear a pair of the heaviest darn tough socks they make with a pair of polypropoline (sp) liner socks. My feet stay warm and it seems to keep the rest of me warmer also. I'm not sure why they work so well other than the heat from the calf area of my legs I think works its way down to my feet. They are way warmer than even the felt lined boots I used to wear in the 1980's, maybe because of better socks that I have now?? I don't worry about swamps, small brooks or wet areas anymore. The drawbacks are that they are heavy, I can't get them off without a boot jack, and they are not the best boot for sneaking around in. A couple other positives are that they fit my feet very well with no heel slip or blisters and they have an aggressive tread. They are all I used in Maine and Northern NH this year for 2 weeks. I have a light weight pair of Lacrosse grange that I got last year for antler hunting or when I know I'm going to be walking all day. They are a little tougher on my feet by the end of the day but only weigh half as much. The Irish Setters work for me but I know other people who's feet get cold in similar boots.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I like wearing Muck boots. Rubber on the bottom and neoprene on top. On and off in seconds. No sweaty feet and very light weight. Oh..., and waterproof up to the top. Would never wear leather boots. I wear them for hunting everywhere. Heavily insulated Arctic Pros for sitting and Woody Max for walking. No way I am sitting down and lacing something up when I have these. Plus my feet could potentially get soaked in leather boots.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
What mountain boots do you have and would you recommend?
I have a pair of Danner Ridgemasters (US made) and a pair of Hoffman Explorers (https://hoffmanboots.com/8-hoffman-explorer). The danner sole is a little more flexible, but the boots are starting to wear and I can see the glue seam on the sole and Danner will not re-sole these boots. The Hoffman's are a beast for support and they will rebuild the boot for you for around $80. The cost for a good mountain boot like Kenetrek, Hoffman, Schnees, etc will set you back, but you'll have them for life.

Once broken in, your feet will appreciate the Hoffmans, but they are stiff and you don't feel every branch or twig underfoot, so you'll make a little noise. I got them for western hunts, but have been wearing them more often. For whitetail, a boot right in the middle between rubber and a mountain boot would probably work great, and just wear a pair of quiet gators, which will also keep the snow off you pants and keep you dryer as well. The Meindle boots might be good, but just be careful as some of there models are being made in Vietnam and not Germany.

Latest posts