Boot Recommendations

mowbizz

Reaction score
I have no experience with leather lined bots. I talked footwear with a NH CO with a K9 who does a fair share of mountain rescues. He swore by the Lowa leather lined hiking boots he had.
The way I see it is leather lining in a leather boot is good but leather inside a non breathable rubber boot can’t be good. Who knows?
That’s a lot of $$ to test them!

philoneshot

Reaction score
I have a pair of Kenetrek Men's Mountain Extreme 400 Boots and Bog's Men's Classic High Boots for cold weather. To be honest. I always took the additional pair in my backpack for different cases. Also, you can find reviews of different boots on the UtOS website. I have chosen my mountain boots there. But, in general, as I 've already learned, you should choose your boots according to the conditions where you are going to hunt.

TheMule

Reaction score
I really love my Muck Boots for normal cold days. They are insulated and completely waterproof. I bought a size bigger and wear a thin pair of silk sock (trust me buy them) and a thick thermal over it. When it's really cold (below 0), I opt for full calf coverage from my North Face winter boot. I find that having the coverage up to my knee keeps my feet warmer much longer.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Its time for me to pick up a new pair. I have a pair of Lacrosse Aero's that I love, but they just wear out too fast. I don't really want to spend $150 every year and would love to get more than a single season out of them, but maybe I can't.

Anyway, as I was shopping, I was looking at the weights on some of the boots and wondered what mine are. Here's some data I have:

My LACROSSE 3.5MM AEROHEAD 18" BOOT
4.8lbs/pair

My son's Cabela's Zoned Comfort Trac Insulated Rubber Hunting Boots for Men - O2 Octane - 11M SKU:2499675
6.6lbs/pair

My wifes Muck Arctic Sport (obviously a smaller size, so not a totally equal comparison)
3.94lbs/pair

This shocked me. I couldn't believe how light those Mucks were. I'm sure they'd be heavier in Mens size 11, but I'm not considering them in hopes that they will compete with the Lacrosse, but last longer.

Anyone care to comment on the miles they got from a set of Arctic Sports? I tend to put on 8-12 miles/day tracking, then I wear them for sugaring where I've done up to 30,000 steps per day stringing pipeline. I also wear them ice fishing, so I definitely work them hard.

groundtender

Reaction score
Its time for me to pick up a new pair. I have a pair of Lacrosse Aero's that I love, but they just wear out too fast. I don't really want to spend $150 every year and would love to get more than a single season out of them, but maybe I can't.

Anyway, as I was shopping, I was looking at the weights on some of the boots and wondered what mine are. Here's some data I have:

My LACROSSE 3.5MM AEROHEAD 18" BOOT
4.8lbs/pair

My son's Cabela's Zoned Comfort Trac Insulated Rubber Hunting Boots for Men - O2 Octane - 11M SKU:2499675
6.6lbs/pair

My wifes Muck Arctic Sport (obviously a smaller size, so not a totally equal comparison)
3.94lbs/pair

This shocked me. I couldn't believe how light those Mucks were. I'm sure they'd be heavier in Mens size 11, but I'm not considering them in hopes that they will compete with the Lacrosse, but last longer.

Anyone care to comment on the miles they got from a set of Arctic Sports? I tend to put on 8-12 miles/day tracking, then I wear them for sugaring where I've done up to 30,000 steps per day stringing pipeline. I also wear them ice fishing, so I definitely work them hard.
I have a pair of Muck Arctic Sports. 17” or so high. I have worn them for the last four winters lobstering. These are the warmest boots I have found, but I don’t haul traps if it’s below 5*. So they don’t get a ton of miles on them for how I use them. I would NOT recommend them for any kind of deer hunting that involves much walking...very stiff sole and generally a bit awkward compared to my Lacrosse 800 gram Burlys with air bob soles. I hunt from a blind now, but do not wear the Mucks because I don’t think the lobster boat smell on them would be advantageous....but who knows, could be the secret!!!

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
II would NOT recommend them for any kind of deer hunting that involves much walking...very stiff sole and generally a bit awkward compared to my Lacrosse 800 gram Burlys with air bob soles.
Yeah, this was my main concern. I love that their so lightweight, and they seem to last longer, but I think I'll end up with the Lacrosse again. Maybe I'll leave the Aero's for the guys that just walk to the treestand and back, and move to the Burlys.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Yeah, this was my main concern. I love that their so lightweight, and they seem to last longer, but I think I'll end up with the Lacrosse again. Maybe I'll leave the Aero's for the guys that just walk to the treestand and back, and move to the Burlys.
I hope you have better luck with the Burly's than I did. The heal wears out and makes the same "funny squeaking noise" Aunty Bethany heard. So unless you're tracking a buck that can't hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant , I'd look else where or you'll be dropping another 150.00 half way through next season.

The wear would go like this for me. I would get 1 season of bow hunting which is back and forth to a stand, some scouting while bow hunting, Muzzle loader season, Rifle season , ice fishing , by turkey season in came the squeaks. I'd deal with it, piss and moan, then buy another pair for the following bow season. I did this for 5 years before I said F-it , no more lacrosse.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I hope you have better luck with the Burly's than I did. The heal wears out and makes the same "funny squeaking noise" Aunty Bethany heard. So unless you're tracking a buck that can't hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant , I'd look else where or you'll be dropping another 150.00 half way through next season.

The wear would go like this for me. I would get 1 season of bow hunting which is back and forth to a stand, some scouting while bow hunting, Muzzle loader season, Rifle season , ice fishing , by turkey season in came the squeaks. I'd deal with it, piss and moan, then buy another pair for the following bow season. I did this for 5 years before I said F-it , no more lacrosse.

One of my favorites Shawn. In case that one flew over anybody's head:

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score

Yeah, I don't disagree. What do you use now?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend the Arctic Sports for what you are doing. Look at the Woody Sports they are lighter and better for active use. That's what I wear for tracking and still hunting. Very light, easy to get on and off,and my feet don't sweat like in the all rubber boots. https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-muck...gRwZUUu0cWc40dSz8C0Pa6nDzbvS2SsxoCHxoQAvD_BwE
For ice fishing I would want the Arctic Pro or Arctic Sports, I wouldn't want to wear them tracking.

Last edited:

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend the Arctic Sports for what you are doing. Look at the Woody Sports they are lighter and better for active use. That's what I wear for tracking and still hunting. Very light, easy to get on and off,and my feet don't sweat like in the all rubber boots. https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-muck...gRwZUUu0cWc40dSz8C0Pa6nDzbvS2SsxoCHxoQAvD_BwE
For ice fishing I would want the Arctic Pro or Arctic Sports, I wouldn't want to wear them tracking.
I'm guessing you don't get any rub on the back of your heel? I didn't get that ever on the Aero's, but I do get that on the entry level Mucks I inherited to try out. I guess thats probably subjective anyway, and would vary from person to person. Holy smokes, these sonsabitches are $200 on Mucks website...my butt just puckered a little. Why are they so much cheaper on the site you sent?

I love that they're below 5lbs, they have SOME insulation, and based on what you're saying, they probably last longer than a single season.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't disagree. What do you use now?

My first pair lasted me 5 years. I'm just breaking in my second pair now. I picked mine up last year on Black Friday for 144.00. They do take a little getting used to learning to walk through the woods with them. They're a little thicker on the sole, but a million times more comfortable and warmer than any rubber boot I've ever worn. I'll never go back to any rubber boot.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm guessing you don't get any rub on the back of your heel? I didn't get that ever on the Aero's, but I do get that on the entry level Mucks I inherited to try out. I guess thats probably subjective anyway, and would vary from person to person. Holy smokes, these sonsabitches are $200 on Mucks website...my butt just puckered a little. Why are they so much cheaper on the site you sent?

I love that they're below 5lbs, they have SOME insulation, and based on what you're saying, they probably last longer than a single season.
On sale. Very good price.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
What kind of boot would your recommend for a hunt where you might hike in 1 or 2 miles and then sit in a stand for several hours in cold weather?
You would love Irish Setter VaprTrek LS - 800G for that senario. They are the perfect combination of comfort for the hike and warmth for the stand. I'd say the most comfortable boot I've tried.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
You would love Irish Setter VaprTrek LS - 800G for that senario. They are the perfect combination of comfort for the hike and warmth for the stand. I'd say the most comfortable boot I've tried.
Bingo ! I had ordered that boot online a week ago after seeing it in their store , but the store didn't have my size in stock . Online showed it as in stock. unfortunately I got an email yesterday saying they dont have my size. When they become available again Im buying a pair of the Irish Setter Vaprtrek 826 LS 800 gram and a pair of irish Setter VaprTrek 827 LS 1200 gram . The 800 gram weighs 2.8 lbs per pair and the 1200 gram weight 3 lbs. I have owned the older model 1200 gram and they lasted me using them for hunting season and working construction all winter for at least 8 years . But I think it was actually 10 years. They never leaked one bit . I wore the traction soles off and finally had to retire them . It was a sad day.
Irish Setter have always been the best boots I have ever bought . I've thrown away at least 2 pairs of Rocky's and 2 pairs of Lacross . Neither one of those brands lasted 3 years before leaking like a sieve or totally ripping and falling apart. Some didn't last 2 years .

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Makes sense, but its painful to try and cross a brook with anything other than 16"+ rubber boots. I wear my hiking boots any time I can, because my feet rarely get cold, but if the snow is more than a few inches deep, or I'm in an area with swamps and springs, I always end up in too deep, forcing me to stick with the rubber boots.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Makes sense, but its painful to try and cross a brook with anything other than 16"+ rubber boots. I wear my hiking boots any time I can, because my feet rarely get cold, but if the snow is more than a few inches deep, or I'm in an area with swamps and springs, I always end up in too deep, forcing me to stick with the rubber boots.
I used to think the same way. Haven’t changed my style of hunting in the least other than being a little more careful not to go over the top of my boot

Latest posts