Boot Recommendations

Meatseeker

Reaction score
What kind of boot would your recommend for a hunt where you might hike in 1 or 2 miles and then sit in a stand for several hours in cold weather?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Any medium weight boot would do. Like a Muck Woody Sport, or Lacrosse Alpha Burley 800. If you were sitting for more than a few hours you might want to bring boot blankets or foot warmers.

Pine-lock

Reaction score
Hiking any distance in tall rubber boots stinks. Doing a mile or two may be ok. but if you're going 2 miles in you have another 2 miles coming back out, my feet hurt just thinking about doing that in tall rubber boots. The rubber boots sweat up easily too.
I've had better luck going with an uninsulated good quality hiking boot and merino socks of differing thicknesses to have insulating options.

fachries

Reaction score
Hiking any distance in tall rubber boots stinks. Doing a mile or two may be ok. but if you're going 2 miles in you have another 2 miles coming back out, my feet hurt just thinking about doing that in tall rubber boots. The rubber boots sweat up easily too.
I've had better luck going with an uninsulated good quality hiking boot and merino socks of differing thicknesses to have insulating options.
+1

Mainewoods

Reaction score
What kind of boot would your recommend for a hunt where you might hike in 1 or 2 miles and then sit in a stand for several hours in cold weather?
What season are you talking and what kind of hiking? You need support while hiking and you also don’t want your feet to sweat on the way in.

NH Hunter

Reaction score

I bought a pair of these three years ago after my feet were freezing sitting on stand. I had walked up a mountain in rubber boots, saw a doe and wanted to watch to see if a buck would be on her tail or be an hour or so behind her. it was a 20-25 degree morning. My feet hurt so bad from being cold in my Lacrosse alpha burly sports. I talked to a friend of mine that had switched to these. I couldn't get over how light they were.

I ordered a pair from Cabela's. I'm assuming at one point Meindl and Cabela's had a contract. They lasted me 4 seasons of hunting and ice fishing. I liked them so much I ordered a new pair on black Friday. I covered over 45 miles of mountain hunting, numerous hours sitting in funnels once I got to where I wanted to be. My feet have NEVER been cold again. I can't say enough good things about these boots. I like the ankle support, I like the comfort, the weight. I do treat them at the end of every season with a leather conditioner just so they don't dry out and have cracking or stitching break.

I wear my old ones to work everyday it's cold. I'm a carpenter that's working outdoors this time of year.

JDK

Reaction score
Bob

Do you know what the avaerage temp is when we are going? I suppose I should look it up. I was planning on bringing my Muck, Bogg, and. Rickys but now you have me thinking

Meatseeker

Reaction score
For PA rifle season if seen it 55 F and I’ve seen it 15 F and snowy. I’m anticipating some long hikes in mountainous terrain followed by 3 to 5 hours sits. I know my feet don’t like climbing or long hikes in Muck boots, but will freeze sitting in hiking boots.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
For PA rifle season if seen it 55 F and I’ve seen it 15 F and snowy. I’m anticipating some long hikes in mountainous terrain followed by 3 to 5 hours sits. I know my feet don’t like climbing or long hikes in Muck boots, but will freeze sitting in hiking boots.
In Colorado I wore I uninsulated 8” hiking boots with a good pair of gaiters. Firsts day was -3 temps and over a foot of snow but my feet felt great all day. I’ve learned not to drive to my hunting spot in my boots as my feet will sweat and I carried an extra pair of wool socks to change into after the hike in.
My buddy hikes into his stand and then puts on boot socks that go over his boots for extra insu

mowbizz

Reaction score
Orvis has genuine rubber boots lined with saddle leather on sale for $489. What a deal !
So your feet sweat inside the rubber and the leather gets wet...nice system

Last edited:

802-603hunter

Reaction score
For $489 bucks they better have remote controlled hovercraft soles that will glide me into my hunting spot without my feet ever touching the ground !
I have no experience with leather lined bots. I talked footwear with a NH CO with a K9 who does a fair share of mountain rescues. He swore by the Lowa leather lined hiking boots he had.

Latest posts