Boone & Crockett/ Pope & Young Entries by county

Ingen

Reaction score
I have been trying to find a somewhat recent listing of the number of record book entries broken down by county in the New England states. Anyone know where I can find something like that? Seems to be easy to find for Midwestern states.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
I have been trying to find a somewhat recent listing of the number of record book entries broken down by county in the New England states. Anyone know where I can find something like that? Seems to be easy to find for Midwestern states.
You might not want to see that data anyway.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Mass. is where all the big bucks live. Nothing to speak of in the rest of the New England states. Your best bet would be focusing on the commonwealth.......

JDK

Reaction score
You may have seen this one already. Distribution 2005-2010. White 0, yellow 1-2, light orange 3-5, darker orange 6-10, red 11+

20101120_deer_map2 (2).jpg

VTHunter08

Reaction score
awwww living in the only completely white state in new England, gotta love it. Exactly why I take most of my hunting money out of state.

mbVT

Administrator
Reaction score
Uh oh, buckle up everyone.

Ingen, that comment ins't toward you at all - thats just a loaded question in New England.
Should we list all the reasons, just for fun?
Shoot too many does...wait, not enough. Need 8pt on a side APR...ummm, no, no APR. Food plots and baiting are needed...except the state should do mineral lick supplements and give me a trail cam. Too much cutting except where there isn't enough. I can't get all my land posted and enrolled in QDMA for 12 pters only, but when I hunt with my buddy on some other guys property down the road, we shoot forkhorns...every year....like a boss. It really drives me nuts that kids get to hunt first...unless we're bowhunting, then I go first until we move muzzleloader season earlier.

Just in fun...did I miss any?

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Shoot too many does...wait, not enough. Need 8pt on a side APR...ummm, no, no APR. Food plots and baiting are needed...except the state should do mineral lick supplements and give me a trail cam. Too much cutting except where there isn't enough. I can't get all my land posted and enrolled in QDMA for 12 pters only, but when I hunt with my buddy on some other guys property down the road, we shoot forkhorns...every year....like a boss. It really drives me nuts that kids get to hunt first...unless we're bowhunting, then I go first until we move muzzleloader season earlier.

Yeah, you missed the obvious fact that our biologists are getting FILTHY RICH selling $5 bear tags and $10 doe tags, while they capture and hide all the B&C bucks in Wisconsin while the rest of us in the unwashed masses shoot our 3 pointers. Never underestimate the government conspiracy when it comes to big bucks.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
In all seriousness Ingen, there are some big bucks in New England...some very big bucks. Most are found in southern New England, with some sprinkled in the remote sections of northern New England. There are a combination of reasons, some disputed and some are not. You seem to have a good grasp on antler growth though so I'm probably not stating anything you don't know. Nutrition allows bucks to express their antler potential with age. Our rocky and acidic soils don't hold the same value the soils of the midwest do, and since many hunters here aren't focused on antler size, the bucks don't get that old.

HOWEVER...this is just my perspective, I'm sure some will disagree.

NH Hunter

Reaction score

By far the best post so far in 2018!!!!

Ingen

Reaction score
In all seriousness Ingen, there are some big bucks in New England...some very big bucks. Most are found in southern New England, with some sprinkled in the remote sections of northern New England. There are a combination of reasons, some disputed and some are not. You seem to have a good grasp on antler growth though so I'm probably not stating anything you don't know. Nutrition allows bucks to express their antler potential with age. Our rocky and acidic soils don't hold the same value the soils of the midwest do, and since many hunters here aren't focused on antler size, the bucks don't get that old.

HOWEVER...this is just my perspective, I'm sure some will disagree.
I agree with you 1000%. Such is true regardless of where you look in North America. That's partly why I was curious. I'd be interested to see if the counties in New England with better soils are the same ones with more big bucks, or if hunting pressure trumps that. I'm a data junkie.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
awwww living in the only completely white state in new England, gotta love it. Exactly why I take most of my hunting money out of state.
Look closer. I believe there was one reported in Bennington county a few years ago although he may have traveled up from
Northwestern Massachusetts.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
I agree with you 1000%. Such is true regardless of where you look in North America. That's partly why I was curious. I'd be interested to see if the counties in New England with better soils are the same ones with more big bucks, or if hunting pressure trumps that. I'm a data junkie.

We had a southern guy that moved to NH on here a few years ago that thought he could grow 145 class deer here in 3 years. He's shot many nice bucks. He ended up shooting a spike. NH Hunter remembers him.

In the past, 200 pounds fully dressed has been the badge of honor here in the northeast moreso than B&C until recent years. There's plenty of nice farmland in the Connecticut river valley that hasn't produced many B&C bucks and fewer that have been registered. Age is what gets most bucks to the 200 pounds or B&C here. Our winters can kill far more rutted out bucks than in other parts of the country. Our coyotes are much bigger here than the Midwest. They're killing machines if we get 15" of snow and a heavy crust. So you lose a percentage of deer that each year. Some years large chunks of deer.

I'd say the hunters here though actually know how to hunt instead of sitting in a blind deciding whether to shoot a 9 or an 8 because the 9 isn't symmetrical and the 8 needs one more year. There are places in Wisconsin where the forests can't regen and the owners are taking 70+ deer off a 100 acres and not making a dent. Most people here would consider that heaven.

We're a proud bunch though for not having B&C deer. I see realtree clothing on people in public that I wouldn't have guessed hunted. I'm seeing more decals on vehicles too. I'd say the hunting gene is live and well here even without B&C deer.

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
We had a southern guy that moved to NH on here a few years ago that thought he could grow 145 class deer here in 3 years. He's shot many nice bucks. He ended up shooting a spike. NH Hunter remembers him. .
That was Ojibwa. He moved down to Kentucky now. Has about 30 acres and just put in some nice food plots, deer all over. He escaped the deer hunting hell of N.H. :D

Fixed blade

Reaction score
That was Ojibwa. He moved down to Kentucky now. Has about 30 acres and just put in some nice food plots, deer all over. He escaped the deer hunting hell of N.H. :D
Wondered what happened to him. I really like reading what he had to say.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Well I think he got a taste of snow and crow and left a wiser man. I do like to have interaction with hunters from other parts of the country. It's an eye opener on both ends.

Latest posts