Boat renovation

Reaction score
The boat is bottom side up and I'm working on the outer hull. Yesterday I sanded and re-stained the rails and the Hourglass transm. Today SNOW and Sleet. Too cold for any work today

Reaction score
The air temp will be 80 degrees on Friday. Hooray! I'll finally be able to use epoxy and fiberglass cloth. She's gonna look sweet when she's all glistening and shiny. Then i'll turn her over an work on the seats and ribs. I'm happy now.

Reaction score
Today I put 2 coats of stain on the boat. It looks NICE! The stain (cherry) brings out all the color of the wood. Its supposed to thunder, lightning and rain tomorrow but the temperature is supposed to be 80 degrees. I can mix epoxy at that temperature but can't spread it in the rain(I'm doing this whole project outside). I think I'll epoxy on Saturday instead. Just got a call from my local sawyer. I ordered some white oak for the ribs. He cut me 3 totally clear boards so maybe tomorrow I'll slice the 40 or 50 boat ribs. More tomorrow.

Attachments

Reaction score
Got one side of the boat epoxied. Tomorrow I'll do the other side. Went to Gary Mead's sawmill for 3 white oak boards. These will be ripped to 3/16" thick X 6' long. Each rib will be 1" wide X 6' long X 3/16 thick. I don't know if I should stain them. They will be varnished though.

Reaction score
I sanded all the high points and drips in the epoxy today. Every void is filled. No drips can be seen even to a boatbuilder's critical eye. The next steps are to put on about 6 coats of varnish, sanding after each coat is dry. after that she'll get turned over and I'll work on the inside (stern sheets,ribs, bow seat, deck then sand and varnish the inside. More to come! I don't think that I'll ever want to sell this boat because there's too much of ME in it.

Reaction score
Yesterday I finally put the first coat of varnish on the outside hull. I took pics but my camera is out in my truck right now. All I can say is WOW! WOW! WOW! I took a couple of pictures at different angles when the sun was shining. All I got were pictures of glare. It is so shiny! Went over today (it was a bit cloudy) and got better pictures. When my mom saw it for the first time she was blown away. Next is hand sanding, more varnish, more sanding, etc, etc until there are at least 4 or 5 coats on it. Then I'll turn it over and work on the inside. I'll post pics a little later.

Reaction score
The varnishing of the outside hull is really coming along. The boat looks better with each coat. Went over this morning, Ruffed up the first coat then put on the 2nd coat. At this rate I should have 5 coats of varnish on by Thursday or Friday. After that the boat gets turned over and I can work on the inside. Its a beautiful thing!