Boat renovation

catskill adventures1

Reaction score
Well, I've decided to renovate and redo my 2nd build. So far I've taken off the full length keel that it wasn't supposed to have and am in the process of blending and fairing the stem into the bottom board. All these renovations may take time, I'll probably be done in June or July. I plan on correcting the mistakes I made when I first built it. Pictures will follow. I feel good again!

catskill adventures1

Reaction score
Its raining today but I'm going to try to work on the boat. Weather may get worse! Got only 2 feet of the starboard side sanded using orbital and belt sanders. I'm going to try hand sanding.

catskill adventures1

Reaction score
Can't figure this Picture process. Eventually I will. I have the outer hull sanded. Now I'm hand sanding the upper 6" of the hull then the rails. Ordered all my epoxy, fiberglass cloth and glossy varnish yesterday. now I have to wait for 70 degree weather to use the stuff.

catskill adventures1

Reaction score
Got the entire outer hull sanded by hand. I now have to wait for epoxy resin and varnish to arrive. Then I have to wait for 70 degree weather so the epoxt can cure. I'm using instructions for finishing the boat from my friend's book "How to build an Adirondack guide boat". More later

catskill adventures1

Reaction score
Thanks Longbow. The boat looks a lot more sanded today. Next is filling all the voids and fairing and evening out all the little mistakes I made originally. Pray for warm weather!!!

catskill adventures1

Reaction score
Tomorrowi'll begin taping around the void spots. Its a lot like spackling when hanging shsheetrock. the trick is to be able to do it on a curved surface and getting the color of the epoxy filler, which I mix to the consistency of peanut butter, as close as possible to the real wood. If I did it right the first time there wouldn't be any voids or gaps.

catskill adventures1

Reaction score
Got all the major voids and gaps filled. I sure ame happy that I used a slow epoxy hardener. A fast hardener would not allow enough time to smoothe things out. Tomorrow- Remove masking tape,, sand entire boat smooth again and, time permitting, apply a coat of clear epoxy to the outer hull. After that I'm going to build a steam box out of PVC pipe for bending ribs. More tomorrow. BTW- If anyone has something else to post just bump me off of here.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I hope you get the picture posting figured out, I’d love to see some. In the meantime the explanations are certainly informative.

catskill adventures1

Reaction score
On Saturday I filled all the voids with thickened epoxy. yesterday I wanted to take the tape off but it was too cold and rainy. Went over today only to find out that the epoxy soaked thru the tape that I used to tape around the gaps. It took over an hour, using a small chisel very carefully, to get all the tape off. I then used an orbital sander to sand everything down smooth. That boat was as smooth as a baby's ass and then I dropped the sander. It was going and it nicked the back of my hand. Left an ugly flesh wound. I wound up in the hospital and got 8 stitches. Strangest thing is that although the gash was deep it doesn't hurt at all. More tomorrow

catskill adventures1

Reaction score
yes I did. It seems that whenever I try to post a picture, something comes up that says the file is too big. I've done it before and can't understand why this happens. My hand feels like nothing ever happened even though I could see the chords in my hand. Its healing quick. I'll take out the stitches next Monday but its still good enough to work as long as I wear rubber gloves' Talk soon

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
yes I did. It seems that whenever I try to post a picture, something comes up that says the file is too big. I've done it before and can't understand why this happens. My hand feels like nothing ever happened even though I could see the chords in my hand. Its healing quick. I'll take out the stitches next Monday but its still good enough to work as long as I wear rubber gloves' Talk soon
Are you trying to post pics from a home computer or cell phone?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
From my laptop.
Go into your pictures. Right click on the picture. Choose edit. Then resize. Make the 100/100, 50/50 that will reduce the size of the pictures in half. That is the way it works on my computer. You may have to do some thing different, but you will need to edit and reduce the size.

Latest posts