Blackhorn Switch

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
With only 2 weeks until NH muzzleloader, I tried the new Blackhorn 209 with the Barnes EZ in 250 grain. With 90 grains of Blackhorn I didn’t need to fiddle with anything! This is a 75 yard group. The “flyer” was a slight hang fire...no idea why that happened as all shots at 25 and 75 yds except that were perfect.
by slight hangfire I guess it was a fraction of a second between primer strike and boom. 1st time that has happened with this rifle.
Are you using the Blackhorn breech plug? I sighted mine in also last week. Blackhorn 209 and Barnes 290 grain TMZ. Shot about an inch group at 90 yards. Shot 6 shots with no cleaning.
Bullet went down pretty easy even on the later shots.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Are you using the Blackhorn breech plug? I sighted mine in also last week. Blackhorn 209 and Barnes 290 grain TMZ. Shot about an inch group at 90 yards. Shot 6 shots with no cleaning.
Bullet went down pretty easy even on the later shots.
Im using the breech plug that came with my Traditions muzzleloader...didn’t know there was a Blackhorn breech plug. The traditions plug is for 209 primer.

Last edited:

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Im using the breech plug that came with my Traditions muzzleloader...didn’t know there was a Blackhorn breech plug. The traditions plug is for 209 primer.
Could be the breech plug. They make breech plugs to use for Blackhorn powder. I replaced the plug in my CVA with the Blackhorn plug. Blackhorn powder is hard to ignite and requires a special plug. What model is your Traditions?

41mag

Reaction score
I use the breechplug that came with my Impact. Have never had an issue with lighting off Blackhorn.
Keep it clean, esp the fire channel. Use a small drill bit by hand and get all the charcoal out of there.
BTW, that group is confidence inspiring.(y)

mowbizz

Reaction score
I use the breechplug that came with my Impact. Have never had an issue with lighting off Blackhorn.
Keep it clean, esp the fire channel. Use a small drill bit by hand and get all the charcoal out of there.
BTW, that group is confidence inspiring.(y)
Yes..I’ll run it thru with a drill bit before the season.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Could be the breech plug. They make breech plugs to use for Blackhorn powder. I replaced the plug in my CVA with the Blackhorn plug. Blackhorn powder is hard to ignite and requires a special plug. What model is your Traditions?
I’ll have to check the model...

Reaction score
Along with the usual caveats of Blackhorn use including hot primer and clean flash channel in the breech plug it has been suggested that your bullet should be seated FIRMLY onto the powder to enhance good ignition. I have found this to be true.

groundtender

Reaction score
Blackhorn’s website gives specifics on cleaning the breechplug, including proper size drill bit for for several different brands. 1/8” I believe for CVA and Traditions. Great group, I wouldn’t want you shooting at me!!!

mowbizz

Reaction score
Blackhorn’s website gives specifics on cleaning the breechplug, including proper size drill bit for for several different brands. 1/8” I believe for CVA and Traditions. Great group, I wouldn’t want you shooting at me!!!
Thanks! I’ll check that out!

mowbizz

Reaction score
Seems like the breech plug won’t take a 1/8” bit. Must be smaller? Anyway, I dumped some Hope’s down the hole and used a small finish nail that had a sharp edge to the head and did some light scraping. Seems my drill bit kits all have the smaller size bits missing. I’ll pick up a cheap Chinese kit at Tractor Supply that has a good selection. Anyway, it has to be cleaner than it was...I also fired a couple 209 primers through it to blow/dry the holes.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Seems like the breech plug won’t take a 1/8” bit. Must be smaller? Anyway, I dumped some Hope’s down the hole and used a small finish nail that had a sharp edge to the head and did some light scraping. Seems my drill bit kits all have the smaller size bits missing. I’ll pick up a cheap Chinese kit at Tractor Supply that has a good selection. Anyway, it has to be cleaner than it was...I also fired a couple 209 primers through it to blow/dry the holes.
You need a black horn breech plug. Google traditions Black Horn breach plug. About $20. I think the holes bigger and some other things. Blackhorn is harder to ignite than other powders. Can cause hang fires with an incompatible breach plug. Even if it’s squeaky clean.

Bucksaw

Reaction score
If that is the first time you are cleaning your breach plug you might have to start smaller than 1/8" and work your way up. I was amazed at the amount of crud that came out of mine. I started with a 3/32 bit, then 7/64, then 1/8. Probably could have skipped one of the smaller bits but mine was really filthy and I kept thinking I was using a bit that was too big. Sure enough after the 7/64 I could use the 1/8 bit to get the rest of the buildup out. Every time I thought it was as clean as it would get I would tap the breach plug out and check to see if there was anything coming out. Blow some compressed air through it and make sure the flash hole is clear. Now that I clean more often, pretty much every time I shoot, it is very easy to just use the 1/8 bit.

mowbizz

Reaction score
If that is the first time you are cleaning your breach plug you might have to start smaller than 1/8" and work your way up. I was amazed at the amount of crud that came out of mine. I started with a 3/32 bit, then 7/64, then 1/8. Probably could have skipped one of the smaller bits but mine was really filthy and I kept thinking I was using a bit that was too big. Sure enough after the 7/64 I could use the 1/8 bit to get the rest of the buildup out. Every time I thought it was as clean as it would get I would tap the breach plug out and check to see if there was anything coming out. Blow some compressed air through it and make sure the flash hole is clear. Now that I clean more often, pretty much every time I shoot, it is very easy to just use the 1/8 bit.
Yes this was the first time cleaning the breech plug to that extent. I have always “cleaned” it but never scraped out the crud.
I just ordered a new Accelerator Breech Plug from Traditions...I cant find a Blackhorn breech plug for Traditions Pursuit Accelerator. Just returned from Tractor Supply and got a new drill set with some of the smaller bits. As I look at the 1/8' bit in the kit, I can see the one I was trying to use was not an 1/8" but bigger...obviously in the wrong slot in the kit.
Also picked up a pin vise to clean the little flash hole too.

Last edited:

mowbizz

Reaction score
Yes this was the first time cleaning the breech plug to that extent. I have always “cleaned” it but never scraped out the crud.
I just ordered a new Accelerator Breech Plug from Traditions...I cant find a Blackhorn breech plug for Traditions Pursuit Accelerator. Just returned from Tractor Supply and got a new drill set with some of the smaller bits. As I look at the 1/8' bit in the kit, I can see the one I was trying to use was not an 1/8" but bigger...obviously in the wrong slot in the kit.
Okay, got the RIGHT 1/8 bit and no problem fitting it into the breech plug. Scraped another small amount of crud out and should be good to go with a new one on the way and this one until it arrives. Life is good! Thanks for all the tips

Reaction score
Okay, got the RIGHT 1/8 bit and no problem fitting it into the breech plug. Scraped another small amount of crud out and should be good to go with a new one on the way and this one until it arrives. Life is good! Thanks for all the tips
Go easy with the flash hole cleaning
Be careful cleaning the flash hole. It needs to be clean but try not to enlarge it. It will enlarge from shooting but with care should last for years.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Mowbizz- With all due respect to LB, after seeing your grouping I wouldn’t change a thing.
No problem, I agree, the grouping is not the problem. He had a hangfire, which is indicative of a breech plug that may not be perfectly compatible with Blackhorn powder. When I bought my CVA, I bought the Blackhorn breech plug with it. Apparently some rifles and their breech plugs have ignition problems with Blackhorn.

mowbizz

Reaction score
I think I’m good to go even if I have a slight hang fire. That one made me flinch a bit but now I’ll expect it and pretend it’s an old flintlock! :p

VTHunter08

Reaction score
I was able to test out my new blackpowder load this weekend. I made the switch from 777 and 250gr shockwaves to blackhorn, and 290gr Barnes TEZ's. To say I'm happy is an understatement.

Sighting in was quick and easy, took probably 6 shots and I was shooting 1" groups at 100 yards.

Saturday morning went to an area I've wanted to try for a year or two now with a doe tag in my pocket. Had a doe come in and hit a hole at 40 yards. She was quartering to me hard but I thought if I wanted a good test this will be it. Put the crosshairs on the point of front shoulder and let it fly. Instant mule kick, and an easy 40-50 yard track with spraying bright red, chunky blood before I found her piled up.

When I got to her I found the entry was right where I was aiming, and could not find an exit which I was excited about finding and examining the sabot. The front shoulder was completely broken, and while cleaning her out I found good damage to heart, lungs, diaphram, and small portion of the stomach must have been impacted because there was a bunch of chewed up acorns inside of her.

Heart.jpg

Sunday I went out to start processing her. During the skinning process I found the mushroomed sabot just under the hide at the back of her rib cage halfway down her body on the off side.

entry
Entry.jpg

exit
Exit.jpg

Comparison with a unused sabot
Comparison.jpg

I weighed an unused sabot and it was 290.2gr. This mushroomed sabot weighs in at 287.6 which equates to 99.1% weight retention. Nothing wrong with that I don't think.
Scale.jpg

Latest posts