Blackhorn Switch

mowbizz

Reaction score
Ordered some Blackhorn for pickup at Bass Pro and some Hornady TEZ in 250 grain from Midway...

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
I have some Blackhorn and Barnes 290 grain TMZ's ready to go. Will be sighting in soon with my CVA Mountain Rifle.. A friend who has the same rifle told me to get these instead of the TEZ.

mowbizz

Reaction score
I have some Blackhorn and Barnes 290 grain TMZ's ready to go. Will be sighting in soon with my CVA Mountain Rifle.. A friend who has the same rifle told me to get these instead of the TEZ.
Oh well, the TEZ are ordered and already shipped so I’ll give them a try I guess...

mowbizz

Reaction score
Well I picked up my Blackhorn 209 at the Bass Pro customer service counter. They did have a few more in stock if anyone needs some. They had a pretty good supply of Hornady muzzleloader sabots too. I bought some new NAP Spitfires and a broadhead target. Last time I shot a broadhead into my other target, it sailed right through and stuck in a tree :rolleyes:
This new target definitely stops the bolts but they are a bear to pull out. Had to tap the bolts all the way in ( with a wood block) so I could remove the heads then tap them back out so they could be pulled. Not sure why but I suspect the friction of the bolt melts the foam as it passes through.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Well I picked up my Blackhorn 209 at the Bass Pro customer service counter. They did have a few more in stock if anyone needs some. They had a pretty good supply of Hornady muzzleloader sabots too. I bought some new NAP Spitfires and a broadhead target. Last time I shot a broadhead into my other target, it sailed right through and stuck in a tree :rolleyes:
This new target definitely stops the bolts but they are a bear to pull out. Had to tap the bolts all the way in ( with a wood block) so I could remove the heads then tap them back out so they could be pulled. Not sure why but I suspect the friction of the bolt melts the foam as it passes through.
Spray some
WD40 on the bolt, wipe off excess, shoot, and they will come out easier.

benelliguy

Reaction score
Blackhorn makes a special quick disconnect breach plug that provides more powder closer to the flashhole for my CVA. Assume they must make them for other muzzleloader as well. I’m presently shooting 78 gr. by weight and a 300 gr. Parker Ballistic Extreme getting ready for a cow elk hunt in Dec. with my CVA Optima V2.

Gwlambo

Reaction score
Blackhorn makes a special quick disconnect breach plug that provides more powder closer to the flashhole for my CVA. Assume they must make them for other muzzleloader as well. I’m presently shooting 78 gr. by weight and a 300 gr. Parker Ballistic Extreme getting ready for a cow elk hunt in Dec. with my CVA Optima V2.
That sounds like the right recipe - looking forward to the trip report!

mowbizz

Reaction score
Would anyone suggest a starting load for the Blackhorn 209 coupled with the Barnes T-ez 250 gr sabots?
I was shooting a 290 gr Powerbelt with 2 777’s so I would suspect my shots would be high to start? Not sure though...might have to start at 25 yds or less to be on paper?

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
My friend told me he uses 100 grains,(by volume), that's what I'll start with. I start at 25 yards with a large piece of cardboard for my first shot

Reaction score
I agree with Longbow. 100 grains by volume has been a go to load for years. Also, you're not loading for a smokeless cartridge so make changes in increments of 5 grains. You may very well find that 100 grains is pretty darn good.

mowbizz

Reaction score
I agree with Longbow. 100 grains by volume has been a go to load for years. Also, you're not loading for a smokeless cartridge so make changes in increments of 5 grains. You may very well find that 100 grains is pretty darn good.
100 grains by volume it is! Thanks!

VTHunter08

Reaction score
I sighted in both mine and my wife's muzzleloaders this weekend with BH. Both guns shot great with 90gr of BH (volume) and the Barnes 290gr TEZ. Was amazed when I was done when I brushed the barrels how little residue there was left. both set-ups were shooting 1-1.5" groups at 100 yards. Good enough for me! Now we just need a live test subject!

Reaction score
I sighted in both mine and my wife's muzzleloaders this weekend with BH. Both guns shot great with 90gr of BH (volume) and the Barnes 290gr TEZ. Was amazed when I was done when I brushed the barrels how little residue there was left. both set-ups were shooting 1-1.5" groups at 100 yards. Good enough for me! Now we just need a live test subject!
I don't know how your breech plug is constructed but one thing Blackhorn 209 and shotgun primers will do is foul up on the inside of the flash channel. I found an appropriate sized drill bit, mounted it in a small wooden handle (file handle) and carefully clean out the channel with it. I ALWAYS find hard fouling there after shooting. If you're already aware of this - never mind😀

Reaction score
I don't know how your breech plug is constructed but one thing Blackhorn 209 and shotgun primers will do is foul up on the inside of the flash channel. I found an appropriate sized drill bit, mounted it in a small wooden handle (file handle) and carefully clean out the channel with it. I ALWAYS find hard fouling there after shooting. If you're already aware of this - never mind😀
Should have added, clean from the large end nearest the powder, not the flash hole. For the flash hole I use an appropriate sized wire cleaner used by welders on their torches. You DON'T want to enlarge the flash hole as it will anyway with use.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Should have added, clean from the large end nearest the powder, not the flash hole. For the flash hole I use an appropriate sized wire cleaner used by welders on their torches. You DON'T want to enlarge the flash hole as it will anyway with use.
Good to know, I'll keep an eye on it!

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
This is the kit I bought last year to clean my fire channel and breech plug. I thought my breech plug was clean before I used this brush.
I could not believe the black caked in powder I scraped out .

mowbizz

Reaction score
With only 2 weeks until NH muzzleloader, I tried the new Blackhorn 209 with the Barnes EZ in 250 grain. With 90 grains of Blackhorn I didn’t need to fiddle with anything! This is a 75 yard group. The “flyer” was a slight hang fire...no idea why that happened as all shots at 25 and 75 yds except that were perfect.
by slight hangfire I guess it was a fraction of a second between primer strike and boom. 1st time that has happened with this rifle.

Attachments

Latest posts