Blackhorn Switch

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Finally Making the blackhorn switch this year. I use to shoot (3) 777 pellets so 150gr., and my wife was shooting 2 pellets. What have people found for a conversion from pellets to volume grains? 90-100gr seems popular when I do the google research.

Other info, we'll be shooting 290gr Barnes T-EZ's

lester2

Reaction score
You’ll be happy I’m sure. I’ve used it for 5 years or so. Way better accuracy and consistency, much easier to keep the gun clean. My load is 95 grains pushing a Hornady 240gr XTP in a green sabot. Just be sure to use a standard shotgun 209 primer not the muzzleloader specific ones. Good luck!

Pine-lock

Reaction score
I made the switch a couple years ago. I've been a fan. I also was shooting 777 pellets beforehand. I've never put the gun on a chronograph but from the feel and the sound and other anecdotal evidence 100 grains for blackhorn is faster and more powerful than the equivalent 2 pellets of 777.

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I started with 100 by volume with a 240gr sabot.
I'm currently shooting 90 grains and a 270 grain bullet. It seems to be a good combo.

The guys I hunt with are shooting 110 grains with a 300gr bullet. They have great results with that combo.

Even 90 grains feels more stout on my shoulder than two pellets did.

groundtender

Reaction score
Never used pellets. But accuracy with BH is equal to what I was getting from 777 powder. Good! The BH cleans up more easily, and I get more shots without wiping the barrel. But claims of many shots w/o wiping are unproven for me. In both cases I am shooting my .45 cal with 100 gr by measure of powder under saboted .357 Dead Center 195 gr. bullets from Precision Rifle.

Last edited:

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Just be sure to use a standard shotgun 209 primer not the muzzleloader specific ones. Good luck!
Yeah I'm looking for the CCI 209m or the Federal 209a primers but all primers seem really hard to find right now for some reason!

802-603hunter

Reaction score
I shoot 95 grains with a 195gr copper sabot out of my .45 cal. Started higher and worked my way down to the best groupIng grain.

Bucksaw

Reaction score
Making the switch this year myself. Shot a nice buck last year with my Triumph using 2 777 pellets and a 250 grain TC shockwave, no expansion on bullet, saw another at the butcher same thing, dead deer but still concerning. Hate to switch because my Triumph is a tack driver with the current set up, but between what I have read on here and seen myself I think it only a matter of time before this may cost me a deer. Switching to BH, Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ 250 grain, crush rib sabots...now just need some range time to find best load.

groundtender

Reaction score
Making the switch this year myself. Shot a nice buck last year with my Triumph using 2 777 pellets and a 250 grain TC shockwave, no expansion on bullet, saw another at the butcher same thing, dead deer but still concerning. Hate to switch because my Triumph is a tack driver with the current set up, but between what I have read on here and seen myself I think it only a matter of time before this may cost me a deer. Switching to BH, Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ 250 grain, crush rib sabots...now just need some range time to find best load.
Maybe no expansion, I understand what you’re saying, but a .50 inch hole is already expanded compared to a .27 or .30 cal from a centerfire.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
Maybe no expansion, I understand what you’re saying, but a .50 inch hole is already expanded compared to a .27 or .30 cal from a centerfire.
I disagree. I've had the same issues and switched to the Barnes with GREAT success. To me, the .50 inch hole with no expansion is like shooting a deer with an arrow tipped with a field point.

Big D

Reaction score
You won't regret it. Especially when it comes to reloading and cleaning. I've been running 250gr. Barnes T-EZ on top of 90gr. BH.

groundtender

Reaction score
I disagree. I've had the same issues and switched to the Barnes with GREAT success. To me, the .50 inch hole with no expansion is like shooting a deer with an arrow tipped with a field point.
Definitely prefer expansion myself too. Thanks for “pointing” that out

otter

Reaction score
Use the typical brass or plastic adj. powder measure, 110 gr under the Barns Expander should work well. That is a great bullet.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
[/QUOTE

Shockwaves are junk. I have one upstairs that I pulled out of a deer with only a bent tip. Like Lester I shoot the 240 green hornaday XTP's. I have a handful of those upstairs as well. They expand and still retain most of their weight.

Meatseeker

Reaction score
Ditto..... 240 gr 44 cal hornady xtp with the green crushed rib sabot cups over 90gr of BH have worked great for me. Very accurate, easy to load, great bullet performance. Also have heard great things about the Barnes. Your going to wonder why you didn't switch to Blackhorn years ago. It burns so much cleaner, is not corrosive, and being able to use standards gun cleaning oils is key.

mowbizz

Reaction score
So, all this about the Blackhorn and I’m convinced that I have to switch as well. I have used 777 and shockwaves since I stopped using my TC Hawken rifle. Never had an opportunity at a deer (yet)
so have nothing bad to say about the shockwaves. I just believe what I read here by those with the experiences.
Is the Blackhorn and Barnes readily available? I see that Midway is out of stock...

Bucksaw

Reaction score
Basspro in Hookset has Blackhorn in stock, have to order the Barnes though but they were available.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
So, all this about the Blackhorn and I’m convinced that I have to switch as well. I have used 777 and shockwaves since I stopped using my TC Hawken rifle. Never had an opportunity at a deer (yet)
so have nothing bad to say about the shockwaves. I just believe what I read here by those with the experiences.
Is the Blackhorn and Barnes readily available? I see that Midway is out of stock...
Concord Wal-Mart had blackhorn last weekend. I almost bought some but with the moose hunt coming up I didn’t want to have to rush trying to site in my ML

Latest posts