birds??

skinner

Reaction score
anyone have any comments on the partridge population? very early to tell but have talked to a few hunters and not a lot of birds seen yet.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
anyone have any comments on the partridge population? very early to tell but have talked to a few hunters and not a lot of birds seen yet.
Im hearing from friends and reading online similar, although I feel it’s common this time of year. Hasn’t been too many hard frosts, or windy days which mean lots of leaves and golden rod still standing making visibility tough. Need some good cold to pull them in the roads too. Last week was warm and rainy in lots of areas. I think it will turn around, but it was really wet so if the theory of less birds due to wet spring is true, population may be down.

My moose hunting partner hit jackman area sat and said he got one, and saw a few but they were real nervous.

groundtender

Reaction score
I spent Thursday and Friday last week in Z 4. Walked quite a bit on good bird roads. Wasn’t hunting. Did not see a bird in those two days, walking or driving. However I agree with KC. Last year at end of Sept and early October I was scouting regularly for an upcoming moose hunt, and was not seeing many birds at all, just occasional. By the hunt week, there were birds showing up everywhere.

Haystaddle

Reaction score
Headed up to Rangeley on Sunday to hunt for a few days. My brother in law is up there now. He has been into birds each day pretty good. Leaves need to fall a little more to open things up. He got two yesterday and three tree limbs he said.

Big D

Reaction score
A friend hunted NW Maine last Saturday and said they flushed around 20 - 25. Shot a bunch also. I'm headed to NMW on the 10th. Can't wait.

shawn_in_MA

Reaction score
I have seen very few birds this summer while up moose scouting. Last weekend 4 guys in 2 trucks saw only 3 birds over the 3 days of scouting

Davey

Reaction score
I'll be up later on this week for a few days around Molunkus \ Kingman, early in the season they're just off the roads a bit, here's a pic from last season.

Attachments

cdc

Reaction score
so i'm curious ..what brings the birds out into the dirt roads is is the pebbles for there gullet ? , I have heard after a good hard frost! they really hit the roads ..heading up to Aroostook end of the week to hang out with brother in law while he moose hunts going to do a little casual bird hunting to kill some time ..will be in the Caswell ,Stockholm area ,hell i don't know what i'm doing but maybe I'll kill a few by accident ;)

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
so i'm curious ..what brings the birds out into the dirt roads is is the pebbles for there gullet ? , I have heard after a good hard frost! they really hit the roads ..heading up to Aroostook end of the week to hang out with brother in law while he moose hunts going to do a little casual bird hunting to kill some time ..will be in the Caswell ,Stockholm area ,hell i don't know what i'm doing but maybe I'll kill a few by accident ;)
I think it’s for several reasons, but I’m no expert.
Sunlight to warm, clover along side roads, and they flop up in road dust to suffocate skin and feather lice, etc.

Biggest reason I see is them eating those alder seeds from the trees that line the roads and ditches. They are always filled with those and what I call road lettuce.

skinner

Reaction score
back from zone 1 near St Pamphile for 4 days, very few birds, just 2 moose and lots of Big Trucks. camp log has had many bird sightings over the years but this year was very poor like 3 trucks hunting and lot of dog work seeing less than a dozen a day. we did not have radio in truck for traffic updates and will not happen again as had a couple very close encounters. on the bright side weather was great.

JDK

Reaction score
We killed 33.

They are opening new roads, as you may have seen, at mile 31 and 32. Not sure if you went up toward Escourt but wow.

JDK

Reaction score
That’s what I’m talking about. Way to go
When I say wow, I mean no friggen trees.

My bird report is:

Get out of the truck and walk...a long way at times.

We never saw a single bird after 11 AM.

Usually when you found birds there were a few there. Didn't seem to be any pattern to them. Up high, down low, and in between. There seemed to be a lot of area where there was none.

There were a ton of woodcock around.

According to Google Earth, I walked 16 miles Saturday. Killed 3 birds within the last 50 yards to the truck........

cdc

Reaction score
JDK ..I sent you an email a couple days back

thanks