Big Adirondack Buck

mowbizz

Reaction score
Your post got me looking at the harvest report. If your dad had reported this to who ever was in charge of the weight keeping at the time , it would be tied for 5th largest buck taken with a rifle and a 3 way tie for 8th largest buck ever taken in NH. That's pretty cool and you have the documentation to prove his story. Very cool. Maybe you should send it to Roscoe Blasidell to see what he thinks. Maybe your dads name would be added to those lists.
So I called Roscoe and left a message. If he gets back to me I;ll let you know. Can't figure out this new private message system...I think I sent you one but not sure,

mowbizz

Reaction score
Needs a new cape/mount. Someone on here would probably have one for you next season. My buddy threw one out from a #248 this year, when he had a European mount done.
Yeah...guess that would be the best way to go...we'll see what happens.

Vtbuck223

Reaction score
Mowbizz...in my opinion that mount isn't in that bad of shape and worth trying to do some cleaning/ restoration yourself. You might not be able to make the ears look like a deer that was mounted last year...but you can easily make them look a lot better. If you are going to have it remounted then you have nothing to lose by trying it yourself...as they will just cut it open, take out the antlers and throw the rest away. I may be in the minority... but if mine I would actually prefer to keep it just as it is as opposed to remount the antlers on someone else's deer. I guess I am sentimental but that is the actual buck your dad dragged out of the woods 60 years ago...nothing wrong with it looking it's age a little bit...and with a little help it could shine again. If you remount it and hang it on the wall...it will look like someone harvested it last year...and you will always know that it isn't actually your dads deer...just the antlers. Again...no right or wrong answer...just a choice and matter of preference.

I was going to post a before and after pic of my great grandfathers mount just to give you an idea...but I would need to take the time to resize them....

mowbizz

Reaction score
Mowbizz...in my opinion that mount isn't in that bad of shape and worth trying to do some cleaning/ restoration yourself. You might not be able to make the ears look like a deer that was mounted last year...but you can easily make them look a lot better. If you are going to have it remounted then you have nothing to lose by trying it yourself...as they will just cut it open, take out the antlers and throw the rest away. I may be in the minority... but if mine I would actually prefer to keep it just as it is as opposed to remount the antlers on someone else's deer. I guess I am sentimental but that is the actual buck your dad dragged out of the woods 60 years ago...nothing wrong with it looking it's age a little bit...and with a little help it could shine again. If you remount it and hang it on the wall...it will look like someone harvested it last year...and you will always know that it isn't actually your dads deer...just the antlers. Again...no right or wrong answer...just a choice and matter of preference.

I was going to post a before and after pic of my great grandfathers mount just to give you an idea...but I would need to take the time to resize them....
The cleaning it up myself is certainly not off the table!
Besides, I’m not sure I want to throw $$ at having it done professionally. I did some research and have some artistic talent so it’s definitely within my powers to do some minor restoring. Hell, it can only look better than it does now!
Thanks for the support!

mowbizz

Reaction score
Just Spoke to my taxidermist and sent her the pics and story. She said she could “pretty it up” nicely for $100 or so. Good deal.
Only caveat was that she is still booked with mounts and is not taking anything new but when her business sells she would do it as training for the buyer. I wish I was younger...I would tackle that (not her, the business!) :D

NH Hunter

Reaction score

I would be willing to bet the entire inside is full of plaster. It's a PITA getting the rack off those old mounts. I've done two that were my grandfathers and great uncles. Both racks are rattling antlers. They go in the woods with me a half dozen times a year.

NorthMaine

Reaction score
Doesn't look bad for 60 years like you said. I understand the sentimental thing. Would be worth trying to pretty it up yourself.

On the other hand, it would also look awesome with a new cape!

catskill adventures1

Reaction score
The story on this buck was not one of those that would put my Dad into the annals of great New England deer hunters (like the Benoits for example) Really only a matter of being in the right place at the right time as many of our stories go.
The 3 hunters had just parked the vehicle at the end of a woods road in Alexandria on the west shore of Newfound.
I have been back there several times many years ago but not sure I would be able to find that road now as I think it’s been partially developed up there. Anyways, after parking the hunters separated as as luck would have it, my dad chose a route that took him toward an abandoned apple orchard...upon separating, the men, as always, did a radio check with their walkie talkies and while receiving a confirmation from one of the others ( they used to blow into the mic of the radio to check with a couple of puffs of breath)
My dad looked up to see this “barrel bellied” buck walking up the hill toward him from the orchard whereupon he quickly pocketed the radio and leveled the .35 Remington Woodsmaster on the bucks chest. The buck swirled at the shot and immediately dropped and slid down the snowy slope back toward the orchard. His belly was chock full of WHOLE APPLES not even chewed! The rest was history. My Dad passed in 2012 but I can still hear him relating this story of the biggest buck if his life through the years!
Hey Mowbizz. That's the same gun my Dad used and the same gun I use at times but ours are chambered for 300 savage!