Before and After

JDK

Reaction score
A while back I asked about stock duplication. Short story, my father basically hunted with one rifle, a Sako Hi Power in 270. He worked for years for SNET and when he built a tree stand you were basically in orbit. One day the inevitable happened and he dropped it. The stock was pretty badly cracked.

Before

file-84.jpg

Dad gave up hunting a few years ago and I got his rifle. We talked and he asked if I could restore it to near original. Truthfully I did and didn't want to do it. The stock needed to be fixed but the bluing wear and tear means more to me than a pristine rifle. He made the wear and tear and he carried it.

Anyway we found a person in Rhode Island that fixes stocks. He was very up front but thought he could fix it. He clearly stated that in order to refinish the patch he would need to restain to a darker color (truth is I like dark as opposed to blond). This was Dad's call. Phil fixed the stock, recheckered, restained, and reblued the cross bolt for very short money. My pictures do not do his work justice but it really is fantastic.

After

file-83.jpg

Last edited:

Mountain Hunter

Reaction score
I think that came out nice.

I broke the stock on my 1951 Marlin 336 years ago. It had been repaired before. I was young and stupid, so I ordered a new stock online and threw the old one away. I regret that now. The stock I have on it looks out of place.

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
Looks like he did a great job giving the old rifle a new life ! :D

Sometimes the scars on a rifle have more value in priceless memories .

JDK

Reaction score
My picture does a great injustice to his work. Admittedly it isn’t “original “ and the look has changed but you have to look pretty hard to see his fix and the checking is very crisp now. I believe he provided a very good value for what he charged

JDK

Reaction score
This was before I put everything back together last night. I'll try to get better pictures.

file-85.jpeg

file-86.jpeg

TheLostBeaver

Reaction score
That came out nice, I agree that the dark color is better on that, checkering looks nice also.