Bear Rug

JDK

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a rug made. Anyone have any recommendations and what the going rate is. Like to have it tanned and have double felt.

802-603hunter

Reaction score
No idea on the going rate, but personally I would get a closed mouth. Open mouth looks unnatural to me. I also like the double felt, green over black seems to look good.

rpc55

Reaction score
Are you wanting someone local? Pete Sterling is in southern Maine but he does fantastic work! Has a lot of stuff in Cabelas. His prices are higher but just look at his work...The charge is by the foot...

http://petesterlingtaxidermy.net/index.htm

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
I just checked for the heck it what one of the local taxidermy shops ( wildlife taxidermy ) are charging this year for bear rugs.

225 dollars a foot and open mouth is 100 extra

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
Thank you.

Any way you look at it, I'm looking at $1000 or more. No way.

SwampSavage

Reaction score
No idea on the going rate, but personally I would get a closed mouth. Open mouth looks unnatural to me. I also like the double felt, green over black seems to look good.
Could not agree more, I have one at the taxi now. 30 bucks a linear foot here. My 1/2 mount on a log is 1100. Crazy I can't almost get 4 deer mounts for that

sleeping giant

Reaction score
My costs for a 5 ft bear are (tanning and shipping$300)( having the rug professionally sewn and shipping $300) (supplies,rugshell,eyes nose jawset ears and misc. $300 including shipping) aprox 12hrs of my time @ $50/hr=$600. out of that $600 I have my overhead ,elect. ins. heat etc. I charge around $1500 for that rug, not exactly getting rich! This is for a quality rug, not something tanned in shop to save $. again you get what you pay for! You go cheap on taxidermy, you get shit as a result! Pete Lajoie(Gameheads ltd taxidermy)

hornz

Reaction score
Most places are either side of $200 a foot JDK. Im guessing your is 5 to 6'. Hang up a 6' picture of you and the bear where the rug would go and call it good!:elmer:

rpc55

Reaction score
what about a half mount or head mount? Euro mount?

Last edited:

JDK

Reaction score
I really haven't given it a lot of thought. My wife wanted a rug until she heard about the price. I was going to throw it out.

Igloo

Reaction score
Fellow hunters mocked my small bear - until I was charged by the foot!

Igloo

Reaction score
I skin mine myself and just get the hide tanned. They charged me $225 for a 250 lb bear.
Good idea. Hoping for future success, I didn't want to get many rugs made over the coming years. Its hard to just discard a perfectly good bear hide.

JDK

Reaction score
Thanks

That is a lot more doable.

Igloo

Reaction score
You beat me to it. Just have the hide tanned, and save the skull as a separate trophy. This tannery charges $30/foot for bear hide tanning.

http://www.furtanning.com/tanning-price.htm
This is obviously mail-order. Do you know anybody local to New Hampshire? Still, its a good price. I wouldn't trust myself to cape a bear, but I think my butcher includes that in the price.