Bear opens! Good luck

mowbizz

Reaction score
Be out there tomorrow morning in the rain...Had other business today.

mowbizz

Reaction score
No bears went through (unless in the dark as they’re so quiet) especially in a wet woods.
As the weather cools I’ll enjoy it more. Hate hunting in the heat.

Grandkid

Reaction score
Good luck guys. I bait on the first day then freshen it by day 7 and then hunt in earnest the second week.

Roger-

outdoorsman

Reaction score
This is normally what I would do. I scheduled my friend to come out for Week #2, but my daughter and I had nothing to do yesterday, so why not sit the bait?

I wish NH would wise up and let us bait ahead like they do in Maine.
Length of baiting is an extremely controversial issue. Some bears are best left unpoked.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
This is normally what I would do. I scheduled my friend to come out for Week #2, but my daughter and I had nothing to do yesterday, so why not sit the bait?

I wish NH would wise up and let us bait ahead like they do in Maine.
With only 2 bait sites permitted, why do you feel 28 days isn't enough? You can still sit the sites and hope they are hit while you're there. Either way at least you're still hunting. I have no interest either way, I'm just curious.

My guess with the Maine situation vs NH would be the amount of outfitters, and the significantly larger numbers of bear per mile.

Last edited:

mowbizz

Reaction score
How warm was it where you hunted? We were kinda cool.
I meant September “in general”
60’s and 70’s are too warm for me for walking in and out. While sitting I can cool off but if you kill something you have to get to the processor quickly. Also, I sweat heavily out the top of my head if I work at anything in any temps! :D

Igloo

Reaction score
With only 2 bait sites permitted, why do you feel 28 days isn't enough? You can still sit the sites and hope they are hit while you're there. Either way at least you're still hunting. I have no interest either way, I'm just curious.

My guess with the Maine situation vs NH would be the amount of outfitters, and the significantly larger numbers of bear per mile.
In my limited experience, the bears start to slow down as September wraps up, bait or no bait.

Recently, F&G extended bear baiting seasons because bear numbers are well above target. I think a far more effective technique would be to allow baiting before opening day.

Are the Maine bear numbers that different, per mile? We have about 6.000 bears, they have a about 30,000, so I guess they do have more since Maine is NOT 5x the size of New Hampshire. Still, both states are well above target population. It just seems like the first week in NH is generally not the best since the bears are still acclimating to the bait.

Igloo

Reaction score
I meant September “in general”
60’s and 70’s are too warm for me for walking in and out. While sitting I can cool off but if you kill something you have to get to the processor quickly. Also, I sweat heavily out the top of my head if I work at anything in any temps! :D
Good point. I guess I was pretty sweaty until I had some time in the blind - then things get cool. If you remember, 2018 opening week was a scorcher.

Grandkid

Reaction score
The longer (in years) you bait the same site the more bears will show up earlier in the season. They visit pretty regularly before September 1. As the season progresses they continue to visit it if there is bait in the barrel and it hasn't been messed with too frequently. Especially large ones. And of course available natural food sources will affect the site. I hope they don't change it to bait early because I am busy enough without that.;)

Roger-

Igloo

Reaction score
The longer (in years) you bait the same site the more bears will show up earlier in the season. They visit pretty regularly before September 1. As the season progresses they continue to visit it if there is bait in the barrel and it hasn't been messed with too frequently. Especially large ones. And of course available natural food sources will affect the site. I hope they don't change it to bait early because I am busy enough without that.;)

Roger-
Interestingly, I had consistent bear activity in July and August. It seems to have tapered off a bit. I just checked one bait that had been hit. The camera pins this on a cow moose.

Word is that natural food sources are abundant, but I had good luck in Maine anyway. We'll see what happens at my second bait site Saturday.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Haven’t been out since the opener but checked my yard cam today and saw that this guy went through the yard on the 1st.
What do the bear hunters think this bear weighs (on the hoof)?

Here’s my dog in the same spot basically. She is 75 pounds. Also a red fox and probably the same bear again.

Attachments

Last edited: