Bear hunt

NHbucktrack19

Reaction score
Hey new to bear hunting. If someone wanted to try a spot and stalk bear hunt in NH where would be a good area go head to? Anyone have any specifics on what they are feeding on right now? I’ve looked over nhf&g info on bear densities per region and have considered calling a game officer for tips on where to look but figured this was a better place to start. Sone knowledgeable people here with first hand knowledge and hours and hours in the woods. Thanks.

benny8

Reaction score
Find a standing corn field with some bear damage and tracks. That would be my first place to look. Spot and stalk I think is a tall order in this neck of the woods. Most are taken with bait or dogs. Not saying it can't be done. Good luck to you.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
It’s hard to beat a stand of falling beech nuts if you can find any. That’s few and far to see now a days.

Last edited:

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
Yeah, I would take a Saturday to knock a lot of corn farmers doors. Ask them about crop damage, etc. Ask them to hunt the bear.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Had a bear (unseen) pull down a bush with orange berries on it. The perimeter of my “lawn” that gets mown is all choke cherries, which didn’t produce much in the way of fruit this year. I think the bear was sampling the orange ones but didn’t seem to eat much, if any. No corn around except for a farm on the other side of a small mountain from me. The farm stand closed Labor Day weekend but not sure if he left any corn standing. My feeling is that the bears are struggling to find food now.
My brother dropped his little velvet 5 point at a butcher in Bristol and he said there was one deer and 2 bear in the cooler…one bear dressed out at 350.
Just a few tidbits of useless information…😂

lester2

Reaction score
Here in northern VT the bears have been in the standing corn for a few weeks near me. I’ve seen a couple fields harvested just in the last few days, as the harvest continues the bears will move to other food sources. Beechnuts are non existent around here this year but there are plenty of apples. The apple trees have been dropping for a couple weeks now and most have fruit rotting on the ground beneath them now. If I was targeting bear, which I’m not, I would scout some of the higher elevation wild apple orchards and look for scat, vomit, freshly broken and pulled down branches, etc.

mowbizz

Reaction score
These are the orange berries…don’t know if these are just a phase of the choke cherry but all the other choke cherry bushes are empty of any fruit and when the berries were there, they were dark blue.
The pic of that part of the property shows the perimeter that’s all choke cherry.

Attachments

• A3A172B0-715B-4423-9CD6-A971A6E47B7D.jpeg
    A3A172B0-715B-4423-9CD6-A971A6E47B7D.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 9
  • D7CB2FA3-B002-42DB-AFE7-461F35AE9F5F.jpeg
    D7CB2FA3-B002-42DB-AFE7-461F35AE9F5F.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 08E97155-5D17-4CF8-B893-746AB370BCEF.jpeg
    08E97155-5D17-4CF8-B893-746AB370BCEF.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 9

NH Mountains

Reaction score
These are the orange berries…don’t know if these are just a phase of the choke cherry but all the other choke cherry bushes are empty of any fruit and when the berries were there, they were dark blue.
The pic of that part of the property shows the perimeter that’s all choke cherry.
Those plants have sharp barbs on them like blackberries do? If so it’s autumn olive. A nasty invasive.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Autumn olive, though invasive, makes great deer habitat.
It might for a couple years but, I’ve been on a property that had an acre of young wild apples growing and autumn olive took over and blocked the light to all the undergrowth and browse and is now killing those young apples by blocking the sunlight. And once those berry seeds get into the seed bank it’s hard to get rid of them without chemicals.

Latest posts