Bear claws

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I kept a couple bear claws from this seasons bear. I didn’t really have a plan for them so I made these. I’ll never wear them, but thought they were a cool display.

Attachments

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I took all the loose skin and hair I could off them. Covered them in borax for a month or so. I found a YouTube vid where a guy used a dremel tool with a stone to clean the bone complete of excess skin.

I then used peroxide and dawn mixture to clean all dirt and skin etc off. I then switched to a polishing buffing attachment on the dremel to shine them up a bit. Next was a 220 drywall sanding pad where I buffed all the scratches and imperfections out. Again with the dremel buffing wheel. Washed them one more time . Let them dry and applied 3 coats of my wife’s clear coat / top coat nail polish.

drilling then made me nervous!! I wrapped them in a pad , put them in a vice and used a small drill bit first, the bored it out with 3/16 bit. Clear coated the holes and then just tried to come up with some sort of pattern.

thanks for looking.

Acrossthepond

Reaction score
Nice work. Looks like a real neat job.
Man, I would NOT want to be on the receiving end of a swipe from a paw full of those!

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Too bad the site doesn't allow normal size photos. I polished this things up to a nice gloss. These look like all the blurry Bigfoot photos I find myself looking at (that one's for you longbow)

johnrr65

Reaction score
I took all the loose skin and hair I could off them. Covered them in borax for a month or so. I found a YouTube vid where a guy used a dremel tool with a stone to clean the bone complete of excess skin.

I then used peroxide and dawn mixture to clean all dirt and skin etc off. I then switched to a polishing buffing attachment on the dremel to shine them up a bit. Next was a 220 drywall sanding pad where I buffed all the scratches and imperfections out. Again with the dremel buffing wheel. Washed them one more time . Let them dry and applied 3 coats of my wife’s clear coat / top coat nail polish.

drilling then made me nervous!! I wrapped them in a pad , put them in a vice and used a small drill bit first, the bored it out with 3/16 bit. Clear coated the holes and then just tried to come up with some sort of pattern.

thanks for looking.
+1

mowbizz

Reaction score
Nice work on the bear claws! They sure are sharp! Had a bear giving my new Browning camera a workout (what is it about bears and cams?) and he showed me his claws close up on the video.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Nice work on the bear claws! They sure are sharp! Had a bear giving my new Browning camera a workout (what is it about bears and cams?) and he showed me his claws close up on the video.
this particular bear had given my camera fits all summer. I have numerous videos of her slobbering, scratching, biting and batting it around.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
You touch the bait and then your camera. They smell it on the camera.

mowbizz

Reaction score
You touch the bait and then your camera. They smell it on the camera.
No bait here! The only thing in the area was a scrape and licking branch that I freshen up. Bear pays no attention to the scrape...just the cam.

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
That has to be it...bears have been known to be fond of things like plastic and skidoo seats! They like to tear stuff up!
I agree they like to tear things up. They chewed up a bunch of my archery targets in the backyard. Maybe because of my scent on them or I think they just like chewing on Styrofoam and plastic like you said.

Grandkid

Reaction score
Same experience here. It seems to be a particular one though. If one likes your camera it keeps on checking it out. Others don't even pay attention to it.

Roger-

Latest posts