Bear came a' knockin'

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Around 5:15, my wife was downstairs when she heard a large thump at the front door. Moments later, she heard a ruckus out back where we keep two wheelbarrows.

She woke me up, fearing an intruder. The porch and front door showed unmistakeable signs of dirty bear paws. The wheelbarrows out back were overturned.

Unfortunately, this sounds like a bear habituated to human food. I'm considering calling F&G to let them know about it.

Oh man that sucks...... Hope it pans out well for you guys and the bear.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Some poor old woman got mauled in her own home last month up in Groton...she will be okay but she lost an eye and had her face about ripped off. She said the bear walked over to her and sat down beside her and was moving it’s head from side to side. Quick as a flash it swiped her face and I guess it left. She was in a wheelchair and barely dialed 911 before passing out.

NH Hunter

Reaction score
Some poor old woman got mauled in her own home last month up in Groton...she will be okay but she lost an eye and had her face about ripped off. She said the bear walked over to her and sat down beside her and was moving it’s head from side to side. Quick as a flash it swiped her face and I guess it left. She was in a wheelchair and barely dialed 911 before passing out.
Saw that on WMUR. There's been a few bears doing the break in thing this year. They must be finding the same situation with the food as I did on my walk today. I didn't find much bear shit either.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
Are you saying bear food is scarce this year? I hadn't noticed, but I am seeing A LOT of those ugly brown mushrooms coming up this year. My usual berry fields seem to be about the same as before.
I'm seeing less sign this year but, I'm seeing the same feed as last year except fewer apples. Ben Kilham has documented over 120 different plants in NH that bear eat so even if there's fewer berries there's still feed they can eat. Of course they'll hit a feeder if it's left out though by the bird watchers.

mowbizz

Reaction score
Saw that on WMUR. There's been a few bears doing the break in thing this year. They must be finding the same situation with the food as I did on my walk today. I didn't find much bear shit either.
Bears have been pulling my sapling choke cherries down all over my property and I have them on cam near my blind. I'll be sitting in the blind come zero dark thirty on 9/1!

NH Hunter

Reaction score
I'm seeing less sign this year but, I'm seeing the same feed as last year except fewer apples. Ben Kilham has documented over 120 different plants in NH that bear eat so even if there's fewer berries there's still feed they can eat. Of course they'll hit a feeder if it's left out though by the bird watchers.
I was in a cut in the same area I'm not seeing the acorns in, and the blackberry bushes don't look good either. It's pretty much a hunting desert up there. Other then the multiple coyotes I have on cam, including the one that was in the back field at 8pm last night eating apples.