Bad primers ?

Flatlander

Reaction score
Made the change from 777 to Blackhorn 209. Went to the range to check zero. First few shots were good. 4th. shot click. The primer fired but not the powder. Tried another primer gun fired. Next shot was a hang fire. Pulled the breech plug and cleaned. Next shot another hang fire. This was with new CCI 209 magnum primers. Switch to standard W-W 209 primers and no more issues. The boom. even seemed to be a sharper crack.

Big D

Reaction score
That seems strange. I'm not sure which is the hotter primer. I've always used the CCI magnums. Is your breech plug compatible for BH 209? Although it seems to work most of the time. ???

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I use the CCI 209M’s. The only primer I ever had a problem with were the Win 209’s. What’s the rifle? Did you clean the breechplug with drill bits?

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
FL buy yourself one of these cleaning kits. You wont regret it . Im thinking it is the fire channel in your breech plug..

That little fire channel brush is worth its weight in gold. I bought this kit this fall after sighting in. The breech plugs on my
2 encores " looked " clean before I used that little brush. You would not believe how much built up crap was in those
" clean looking " breech plugs . The brush didn't fit in the primer hole at first. I thought the brush was too big until I really
forced it inside and spun it around. After scrubbing out the primer side of the plug I use a can of condensed air
and flush the fire channel out from the powder side of the plug.
Unbelievable how dirty that fire channel was even though it looked clean.
The chamber brush works great too for cleaning the threads and the crud that builds up in the chamber section of the barrel

Flatlander

Reaction score
I didn't have all my cleaning tools with me. I use a drill bit to clean the primer pocket and a piece of wire to clean the channel. Idon't know how clean the channel was but it wasn't blocked. Before each charge I fire a primer with the muzzle close to a leaf on the ground and it moved the leaf. The rifle is a Tradition Pursuit. The face of the breech plug is flat.

Flatlander

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've been shooting inlines for about 25 years. I've owned 6 , 2 Knights ,a t/c encore , Remington 700 , and 2 Tradition Pursuits. Only other time I've had a misfire was due to wet powder. Even with pyrodex and #11 caps had 0 issues. So a bad batch of primers is my story and I'm sticking to it.

VTHunter08

Reaction score
Ugh its amazing how the universe works. This topic comes up 18 hours after a brought someone with cerebral palsy out muzzleloading. Let them use my wife's sighted in and very accurate cva wolf, loaded with 100gr triple 7, a 250gr barnes expander, and a winchester primer. Haven't had a misfire in probably 10 years since I went to 209 primers. After a little still hunt "drive" I put a nice little flathead 20' in front of him, broadside, and looking at him. "click" 😩 Woulda been his first deer in over 10 years. I put another primer in when I got to him "boom". I have winchester and cci primers at home and use the first box that I grab. I'll be more picky on my primers from here on out. I know I had 777 in it (will be making the blackhorn switch next year). But from that experience yesterday, and this topic today, primers are just as important as the powder and sabots we shoot. Valuable lesson learned! Lets face it No Boom, No Chance.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I’ve fired thousands upon thousands of reloaded shotgun shells and can think of like 2 misfires, both times waterfowl hunting when the shells might have gone underwater in my pocket. The chance of a primer misfire is minuscule, the chance of a slightly plugged flash channel or powder that got damp or contaminated with a bit of oil is way, way more likely.

Flatlander

Reaction score
I don't know , I might just stick with 777. Never had any problems with it , just wanted to see if BH was an improvement.

RememberBaker

Reaction score
I don't know , I might just stick with 777. Never had any problems with it , just wanted to see if BH was an improvement.
The biggest improvement with BH209 is the ability to reload, I’ve shot at least 20 times with no swabbing. With 777 I was lucky to be able to reload once without pounding the ramrod against a tree.

Mikejd

Reaction score
I hunt with a good size group and I have seen so many misfires with muzzleloaders Id rather not even talk about it. And all guys are using different combos etc. At the end of a muzzy trip we all take a shot to unload also. I have seen 3 of 10 guys have the dreaded click. Its actually a joke at this point. I guess it could be wet powder after a few days of hunting. But we have a few guys that we know will get there yearly click.

Reactions: JDK

JDK

Reaction score
my buddy Eric keeps his house set at 80 and the heater in his truck to molten. His muzzleloader sits at home and in the truck and then goes outside where it is 5. Does that for a week and then wonders why he gets a misfire every time

Flatlander

Reaction score
Our muzzle loader season opens tomorrow , I'm going to the range this morning to verify zero on my backup rifle. I'll be burning 777.

Grandkid

Reaction score
Blackthorn works best with a hotter primer. Remington STS Primers 209PSTSB