Back to my roots,

Xbolt

Reaction score
Hi all just moved back to NY after spending 15 yrs,in Montana,&Wyoming in the oil fields,

NH Hunter

Reaction score
How was the hunting in Montana and Wyoming? Both states are right on top of my bucket list to visit.

Xbolt

Reaction score
How was the hunting in Montana and Wyoming? Both states are right on top of my bucket list to visit.
[/QUOTE
Eiithier,state.offers,top quality hunting
Montana even though its a, draw for non residents its 100% gaureentee for a,general licence big state lots of public/blm land but also lots of land locked public slowly becoming a,pay to play state
wyoming offers,better quality elk &deer but
where you could hunt Montana every year on a,general tag, wyoming would be about every 3 yrs,
idaho is another.option OTC tags lots of public land quality elk hunting and some huge mule deer. Less grizzlies but more wolves,then either Montana,or Wyoming

270 bdl

Reaction score
A few years back I had a chance to got to eastern montana. The company I worked for then wouldn't let me go.

Xbolt

Reaction score
A few years back I had a chance to got to eastern montana. The company I worked for then wouldn't let me go.
That's,to bad it would have been a great experience Montana,is truely a hunters /outdoorsmans,paradise ,eastern Montana,has some big mule,deer

Xbolt

Reaction score
Sounds good. Is this a move back to NY for work? Family? Both? What did you miss about NY and what will you miss about the west?
i moved back,for family , wasn't much I missed about NY with Montana I'll miss, everything EXCEPT the grizzlies ,and rattle,snakes

NH Hunter

Reaction score
i moved back,for family , wasn't much I missed about NY with Montana I'll miss, everything EXCEPT the grizzlies ,and rattle,snakes

Did you have many Grizzly run ins? Are they pretty prevalent in day to day life with the residents? I hate snakes!!! Rattle snakes would certainly be a pain in the ass!!

longbow

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you have many Grizzly run ins? Are they pretty prevalent in day to day life with the residents? I hate snakes!!! Rattle snakes would certainly be a pain in the ass!!
No rattlers in NH? We have a lot of rattlers here in NJ. See them mostly when hiking on the Appalachian Trail. Here's a video I made of one I saw last summer.

Xbolt

Reaction score
in the 15 yrs I spent in Montana, I've had 6 encounters with grizzlies 4 of those were from roughly 80-100 yrds away 1 was,a,bluff charge from a,sow,with cubs,1 was in camp when a boar,decided he,wanted the bag containing the elk back strap hanging in the tree (,he got half of it)
Southwestern Montana, by far has the highest hunter/grizzly encounter but the bears,are present in most of western part of the state (we,carry side arms and bear,spray )it is,also home to the largest wolf population in the,state (your,allowed 5_wolf tags, but not many fill all 5 )
Rattle,snakes in Montana,are like garter snakes,in NY extremely common (although I have run into timber rattlers, in Warren county NY quite frequently).and to me the ONLY good,snakes are dead or made into boots

SportsmanNH

Reaction score
No rattlers in NH? We have a lot of rattlers here in NJ. See them mostly when hiking on the Appalachian Trail. Here's a video I made of one I saw last summer.
Longbow , did you edit out the part where you shot it ? ;)

There are very few timber rattlers here in NH thank God ! I know there are a couple places where F+G keeps secret on where they are. From what I heard there are in 2-3 spots in rocky/ ledge areas in the White Mountains where they slither into certain crevices to hibernate for the winter They keep it secret to give them protection. But a couple years ago one showed up in someones back yard the next town over from me in southern NH. F+G came and took it away.

Xbolt

Reaction score
And you would be amazed how fast a,900-1,000 lb animal can cover 1-200 yards, dont EVER think
A,grizzly isn't fast doing do will turn you into their next meal

Xbolt

Reaction score
I've,done 5 complete hike throughs on the AT they are, common on certain sections,

mowbizz

Reaction score
My brother encountered a timber rattler on the Pelham/windham NH line many years back.
On the road the Pelham Fish and Game club is on. Good shotgun area for deer too. Not sure about these days...

groundtender

Reaction score
I’m no big fan of rattlesnakes, but based on experience with them in the west, I’ll take rattlers over Lyme ticks any day.

Latest posts