Arctic Shield products

Wandling

Reaction score
Omni wool is around $15 for tops or bottoms. Their socks are great too.
Thanks for the tip on the merino wool. I have been wanting to try some for years, but the price has deterred me. 70-100 bucks for a top or bottom is silly. For 30.00 I ordered a top, bottoms they didn’t have my size but will check to see oof any become available.

Mainewoods

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on the merino wool. I have been wanting to try some for years, but the price has deterred me. 70-100 bucks for a top or bottom is silly. For 30.00 I ordered a top, bottoms they didn’t have my size but will check to see oof any become available.
You get what you pay for. Mountain warehouse does not sound like the best quality and omni wool is 80% polyester. You should be able to find a decent 100% merino set for under $100, or pretty close.

NH Mountains

Reaction score
You get what you pay for. Mountain warehouse does not sound like the best quality and omni wool is 80% polyester. You should be able to find a decent 100% merino set for under $100, or pretty close.
I like the Cresta and Minus 33 brands of merino wool clothing. Picked up a set of Cresta this week at the LL Bean outlet for $30 each top and bottom. The merino wool is great while hunting. Sitting or tracking. I’d say they are worth it at full price but, on sale definitely.

Escout711

Reaction score
I agree with this. A lot of lower priced options are a merino/poly blend. The 100% stuff is worth the price and if you shop around there is usually a good deal to be had. First Lite, LL Bean Cresta, Minus 33, Smartwool, Ice Breaker, and Red Ram are a few options.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Tried out the mountain hardware merino wool this weekend. Its an 80 wool, 20% synthetic. It was 5 degrees yesterday with measured 56 mph winds. I was snowmobiling. They kept me warm, but I don’t think any warmer than my LL, Cabelas, etc baselayers. I’m not usually cold, so it was hard to tell. I wasn’t sweating and digging my sled out a lot with the crust, so wicking performance has yet to be seen. Will give them some more time before I decide to pick up more.

Escout711

Reaction score
Tried out the mountain hardware merino wool this weekend. Its an 80 wool, 20% synthetic. It was 5 degrees yesterday with measured 56 mph winds. I was snowmobiling. They kept me warm, but I don’t think any warmer than my LL, Cabelas, etc baselayers. I’m not usually cold, so it was hard to tell. I wasn’t sweating and digging my sled out a lot with the crust, so wicking performance has yet to be seen. Will give them some more time before I decide to pick up more.
So, the thing with merino wool baselayers is that they come in different weights. I looked up the ones you got and they didn’t list the weight, but for $30 I doubt they are more than mid weight. You want to be warm, bite the bullet and spend $100 on one of these heavyweight ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Woolx-Glacier-Heavyweight-Baselayer-Extreme/dp/B00GCCNPIY/ref=asc_df_B00GCCNPIY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309803910937&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8015081877141788370&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002175&hvtargid=pla-525328180775&psc=1

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
So, the thing with merino wool baselayers is that they come in different weights. I looked up the ones you got and they didn’t list the weight, but for $30 I doubt they are more than mid weight. You want to be warm, bite the bullet and spend $100 on one of these heavyweight ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Woolx-Glacier-Heavyweight-Baselayer-Extreme/dp/B00GCCNPIY/ref=asc_df_B00GCCNPIY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309803910937&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8015081877141788370&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002175&hvtargid=pla-525328180775&psc=1
Thats the thing, I don’t want to be too warm. I bought these for hunting, wanted a light to mid weight. I have some serious base layers now, think northern Quebec -30F then riding 70 mph for hours and hours in a cross wind. Just tried em snowmobiling as I had them. I think they will be good for deer hunting here. Need to give them a work out and ensure they wick away moisture and how they keep me in that 10-20 degree range. Im going to use them snowshoeing next.