Annual Mass hunt with Dad

Fixed blade

Reaction score
As you might imagine this year was different. My Dad is 84 and is considered high risk to get Covid. He wanted me to come down an stay at the house but I felt it was just too risky. And with two young ones here I could only get away for a few days. I had a great plan all set up. For the last 5 years I’ve had pictures and history in this one area. It’s actually between two bedding areas. Between the 8th and 12th ive had pics of bucks cruising and anytime a doe was on camera I’d get multiple bucks on cam. I figured there is one doe who is hot durning this time. So I decided I’d be hunting the 9th through 11th. Arrive on Sunday the 8th. I would drive down gas up up here and not stop in Mass. Go right to the woods and self quarantine only seeing my father at lunch’s. He would be safe I would be safe. The weather the Monday before was 3 inches of snow cold and full on rut hunting weather. Than the unthinkable. 70s in November. WTF! I thought about canceling but haven’t seen the old man in almost 10 months. So I said the hell with it I’m going. Camping out 3 nights and do what I can. I saw the 9th it was supposed to be 40 in the morning. I thought this would be the day. Headed in on Sunday. Got a mile in the woods and set up camp. Called my Dad and asked when he would be in on Monday. With his eye sight not as good he said 7 am. I told him I’d have mine down by then. Monday am roles around and I get set up in my best spot. At 6:35 this nice buck steps out at 60 yards. I can call him once and he starts my way. I put some doe estrus out. He reacts to it. I can see he is not the mongo I would like to see but with the weather issues of rising heat all week I decided he is a good representation of what the area has to offer and would be happy with him. He comes to 19 yards I draw and send it. He goes 50 yards and piles up. It’s now 6:45 am and I text my dad to let him know buck down but I’m going to sit a few hours. Meet you around 10am on the trail.

We meet I drag and by 12:30 am packed and headed home to the butcher to cool this guy down. Another quick trip to Mass.

I love hunting with my Dad and sharing these experiences while he is still with us.

Attachments

Fixed blade

Reaction score
Wish it could have been a longer more normal stay. Not too many more left I’m afraid. But we enjoy what we can and control only what we can.

sneaky_pete000

Reaction score
heckuva post - I had plans on bowhunting MA in 2020 and had done a lot of map scouting, but I killed it. Glad you got a chance to go down there in a way that you felt didn't risk your dad, and were obviously rewarded with a great buck. Congrats.

BDB

Reaction score
Awesome quick hunt buck. Too bad you didn't get to spend more time hunting with your dad. Congrats!

Snowed

Reaction score
Nice job. Very nice buck. I’m sure you being there meant more to your dad than any buck on the ground! Being 84years old and “trapped” during the craziness of this year has got be difficult, if not depressing. Great job.

Muzzleloader

Reaction score
As you might imagine this year was different. My Dad is 84 and is considered high risk to get Covid. He wanted me to come down an stay at the house but I felt it was just too risky. And with two young ones here I could only get away for a few days. I had a great plan all set up. For the last 5 years I’ve had pictures and history in this one area. It’s actually between two bedding areas. Between the 8th and 12th ive had pics of bucks cruising and anytime a doe was on camera I’d get multiple bucks on cam. I figured there is one doe who is hot durning this time. So I decided I’d be hunting the 9th through 11th. Arrive on Sunday the 8th. I would drive down gas up up here and not stop in Mass. Go right to the woods and self quarantine only seeing my father at lunch’s. He would be safe I would be safe. The weather the Monday before was 3 inches of snow cold and full on rut hunting weather. Than the unthinkable. 70s in November. WTF! I thought about canceling but haven’t seen the old man in almost 10 months. So I said the hell with it I’m going. Camping out 3 nights and do what I can. I saw the 9th it was supposed to be 40 in the morning. I thought this would be the day. Headed in on Sunday. Got a mile in the woods and set up camp. Called my Dad and asked when he would be in on Monday. With his eye sight not as good he said 7 am. I told him I’d have mine down by then. Monday am roles around and I get set up in my best spot. At 6:35 this nice buck steps out at 60 yards. I can call him once and he starts my way. I put some doe estrus out. He reacts to it. I can see he is not the mongo I would like to see but with the weather issues of rising heat all week I decided he is a good representation of what the area has to offer and would be happy with him. He comes to 19 yards I draw and send it. He goes 50 yards and piles up. It’s now 6:45 am and I text my dad to let him know buck down but I’m going to sit a few hours. Meet you around 10am on the trail.

We meet I drag and by 12:30 am packed and headed home to the butcher to cool this guy down. Another quick trip to Mass.

I love hunting with my Dad and sharing these experiences while he is still with us.
Very nice buck. You're lucky to have so many good years with Dad.

Latest posts