AM hunting report : Rhode Island Muzzleloader opening day

bigbore442001

Reaction score
As I sat in my hunters seat between two trees on the ground. I was watching a couple of rubs and a scent wick placed on a small brook crossing. My trail camera has taken images of a nice fat six point whitetailed buck.
As I sat there I could feel the wind shifting in all kinds of directions but mostly in my favor from the southwest. The morning has been abnormally warm. I awoke to temperatures in the mid fifties rather than the low thirties and below freezing which is normal at this time of year. I was hoping to see that six pointer amble by but no such luck. All that I saw were a couple of squirrels.

I figure that this patch of woods is a place where it is productive either early in the morning or late in the afternoon. That seems to happen when you are hunting small patches of woods around 40 acres or so. That is the nature of the beast, so to speak, when you hunt places like Rhode Island.

I did notice one other thing. I did not hear any other shots for the entire morning. I am not sure if it was because of the errant wind or the weather has really depressed movement but I recall last year I heard a lot of shooting.

Hopefully this afternoon things will be different. I take a seat in another spot where I have a treestand set up. It overlooks a depression with a scrape in it. At that locale I have seen deer in the late afternoon. Hopefully it will be the same.